NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange one. Any logical explanations for this...?

For those of you who need to be updated, read the 'Ragnorak thor body' thread below somewhere.

The high idle and wobbling of idle under coasting/neutral was brought to a stop once the little nut had been adjusted to allow for the throttle plate to be closed firmly...but now i feel a very noticeable drop in power. Not a major major drop, but enough to know when something has been changed from the last week or so of driving the car. It used to feel MUCH more torquey and responsive and i didn't feel the need to get into lift as much because the revs would climb so smoothly at lower revs (2500-4k rpm), but now its like i dont even have the bored throttle body on the car at all...in other words no difference.

To compound this even more, i adjusted the throttle plate to idle higher again
(purely to test) and the car picked up again :wtf: but then got a cel again...

Sounds fishy to me. Maybe you guys can explain the logic behind running, what in theory sounds, like...lean?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Celicasaur said:
Strange one. Any logical explanations for this...?

The high idle and wobbling of idle under coasting/neutral was brought to a stop once the little nut had been adjusted to allow for the throttle plate to be closed firmly...but now i feel a very noticeable drop in power. Not a major major drop, but enough to know when something has been changed from the last week or so of driving the car. It used to feel MUCH more torquey and responsive and i didn't feel the need to get into lift as much because the revs would climb so smoothly at lower revs (2500-4k rpm), but now its like i dont even have the bored throttle body on the car at all...in other words no difference.

To compound this even more, i adjusted the throttle plate to idle higher again
(purely to test) and the car picked up again :wtf: but then got a cel again...

Sounds fishy to me. Maybe you guys can explain the logic behind running, what in theory sounds, like...lean?
mate.... don't know if my prob is the same but i fixed them. i sued to have pretty similiar problem for many months before my car finally died. Culprits turned out to be very simple matters which builds overtime. so i might want to suggest you the following:
1. check your IACV (Intake air control) make sure it's clean....
2. Check your MAF (Mass air flow) sensor, make sure it's not damaged or dirty
3. Clean your O2 Sensor
4. Have you inspected your fuel filter?
5. have you check the injectors or injector seals? make sure they are not leaking or sipping.... the seals are cheap , but it was a pain in the @#$ to get them out.
6. check your spark plugs........

when my car died the problem contributed to all of the above things.... weird enough previously i always have my car serviced at Toyota or well known garage, but strangely enough it was the small garage, who tune Drag race car who found all those problems.... it's now running better than ever...

Good luck...........

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmm..thanx for the tip.

i'll invest in an ohmeter today to check if the maf or iacv are faulty. if not, im just going to sell the ported throttle body and write it off as a bad investment. accelerates quicker if the idle is set very high but when its low as normal, it hasnt done a thing.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
check your throttle cable adjustment and TPS positioning. If you haven't already done so with the correct (closed) throttle position, reset your battery and let it relearn idle.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boosted2.0 said:
check your throttle cable adjustment and TPS positioning. If you haven't already done so with the correct (closed) throttle position, reset your battery and let it relearn idle.
i thought the tps was an electrical thing with a little moving plastic part inside.... how can i check the positioning?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,531 Posts
With the ohmmeter you're buying.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Problem of lost power seems to be solved...but it doesnt feel particularly great, just not as bad as it was.

No logical explanation really as to why it went poor and why it seems to have gone better. All I did was another ecu reset and tweeked the throttle plate position a little. The volume seems to have come back to the car, which sounded very quiet for a couple of weeks.

The plate is still lightly scraping the bore a little, but either that's something that will 'wear' itself away or i may have to get a little bit of sandpaper and rub down a bit of the butterfly. I wont be touching the position at all anymore if it has sorted itself out!

Now the only thing to go wrong and cause me more headache would be for it to throw a cel...which it seems to be doing a lot lately!!!

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

Well to be honest the car has been running extremely inconsistently since the tb was fitted. perhaps this was due to the very hot weather we've been having here, i dont know.

ive had many cels come and literally go away by themselves (anybody had this happen to them?!). i decided to leave it for three weeks now without resetting it and now finally it seems to have done the trick!!! all the low down extra torque seems to have magically returned now. i can overtake much more easily now in 5th gear from 2500 rpm, whereas before i could never do this without needing a lot of road on front of me!!! lol

anyway, my theory on this is the injen style dialema. whereas the injen has the bigger piping that causes bogging by confusing the maf and running a bit lean, maybe the extra area in the tb is drawing in more air than the maf knows about, similarly to how injen cai's cause cel's... i dunno, just a thought.

also, idle seems to be at 900/100 rpm when the lights are off and 1400 when they are on and there doesnt seems to be anything i can do about this, except accept it.

im going to wait another couple of weeks to see if the cel's come back. if they dont, then im off to fit boosted's header, change lift bolts (in dire need of a change!!!) and then hit the dyno :rimshot:

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I give up. the ported tb is coming off and replaced for stock, until i get a pfc to tune the car with it. the cel has returned and now i got a worrying knocking sound at idle after a long drive :S...

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
sounds like the RR throttle body isn't worth the money they ask for it. Have you contacted them for support to these questions?

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
You can't actually feel 1-2 hp differences. I'd be pretty sure this is all in your head.

Honestly your methods are extremely unscientific. You have no dyno figures to support your claims (I'm serious when I say you can't notice a few hp with your butt dyno) and you haven't gotten any of the CEL codes read. You're completely stabbing in the dark here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts