NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my A/C works but it takes a while for it to get cold so I decided to try the A/c pro. After doing so, my engine takes a while to warm up to the middle position and if I use my AC, my engine's thermostat would actually drop down 1 bar so if I'm at a stop, my rpm would rev up and down. Car never did this until I used the AC pro. I called the company and they said they don't know and said that the psi reader is not acurate and I may have over charge the ac. I used less then half a bottle of it and psi only read 85.

No other modification was done to the car except an oil change before I used the ac pro.

This ever happen to anyone? Any suggestion?

Paul.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,374 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I idle like at .9, it would go down to .6 and up to like 1.5-2 rpm

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
When the AC compressor kicks in idle speed will change. How much depends on vacuum leaks, belt health & tension, clean MAF sensor, and your IAC valve. I'd clean the MAF properly with MAF cleaner and check the IACV. Both can be found on here with a search. Someone may come up with something else but that's where I'd start.

·
15,374 Posts
If it feels like someone tapped the brakes when you are moving w/AC on & the compressor kicks in, its overcharged. Idle is controlled by the ECU/IACV and should bump up 50-100 RPM when the compressor kicks in. Anything other than that is probably some other issue.

You might also have a stuck open thermostat or an air bubble in your cooling system from the sounds of it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I work early and get off late M-F so I can't check it out till the weekend. And more tip or troubleshoot would be greatful as well. A local shop said it was $90 to evac and recharge and say that is all they will do and not guarantee anything. Is it possible to bleed it myself or wise to do so?

BTW, Engine has 125k miles on it, I commute about 50miles a day. Engine runs great unless I use the AC. I will check on the thermostats when I have a chance. What about the AC expansion valve? Autozone said it might be that?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update, so I drove home today without the ac on whatsoever, and the problem still occurred. Driving in the freeway for about 10-15 in hot weather, the car finally warmed up and about 5-10 mins later, it dropped down a bar. This happened twice on a 45 mins ride home.

2way, drives totally fine, only issue now is when I'm at a stop with ac on, compressor kicks in. Is it easy to get to the termostat?

·
15,374 Posts
Checked your coolant level?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
refilled with the toyota oem coolant. (the redish pink one)

·
15,374 Posts
I couldn't tell ya on the thermostat. I haven't done one on the Celica. But, I understand bleeding the air bubble out afterwards is a pain.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Follow the coolant bleeding procedure. Search here and you'll find one or two techniques.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts