NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between getting a suspension setup for STS.
Which would you pick?
TRD lowering springs/KYB AGX Struts ($700)
I really want linear springs but I'm not sure who makes them.
or
TEIN SS coilovers ($1100)

Both set-ups would use stock anti-sway bars.

Also,
Which wheel combo would you choose?
light weight 15x6.5 with 205/50-15's
light weight 15x7 with 225/50-15's
or light weight 16x7 with 225/45-15's?

This is all on a 5spd GT.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
1) Tein HA (ok, the SS will do), the TRD ackage is too soft to pretend that it's remotely competitive.

2) how much money do yo uhave? If you are not buying 225/50-15 BFG KD tires, then go with a 16x7 and run the 215/45-16 Falkens. Though, either 15" option would work fine with the 205/50-15 Falkens.

Scott

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I am going to use the new Kumho MX if I choose to use the size 205/50-15.
It should have a better tread wear rating, because these are going to be my daily driven tires also. It should also hold up well against the Falkens and BFG's. I was reading an issue of GRM and they did a test with the Kumho MX against the BFG KD and Falken Azenis.. the Kumho MX was only within fractions of a second against the other 2 tires.
The idea of having a heavy tire also doesn't make me want to jump for the azeni's (i hear they are some of the heaviest tires you can get)
Also, I would just like to try the MX out, because everybody has Azenis!
In the end, I may end up just getting the Tein SS coilovers with 205/50-15 Kumho MX's mounted on 15x6.5 Rota Subzeros to save rotational mass in the straights.
There don't seem to be many 15x7 wheels (other than the Kosei K1's, but they are overpriced at tirerack).
Know any other 15x7 wheels that fit our celi's?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Choosing wider wheels will pay off more than lighter wheels in autox I think. Grip will help more than accelleration. Use the maximum width wheels and tires allowed in STS to be competative. 225/50/15 or 225/45/16 on 7 - 7.5" wheels. Since they will be your daily driven wheels and tires, you probably want to maintain the stock overall diameter, right?

As far as the suspension goes, the Tein set-up is the better of your two choices, but for nearly same price, you can have a custom Koni/Ground Control suspension.

What other mods do you have? If being competative on a budget is your goal, why not sell any mods that bump the car into STS and stay in stock class? You'll be running as fast or faster on "R" compound tires than you ever will in STS.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
erok said:
Choosing wider wheels will pay off more than lighter wheels in autox I think. Grip will help more than accelleration.
Lighter wheels help with grip, too. Lightweight wheels aren't just good because of rotational inertia...unsprung weight is key to handling, too.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
erok said:
Choosing wider wheels will pay off more than lighter wheels in autox I think. Grip will help more than accelleration. Use the maximum width wheels and tires allowed in STS to be competative. 225/50/15 or 225/45/16 on 7 - 7.5" wheels. Since they will be your daily driven wheels and tires, you probably want to maintain the stock overall diameter, right?

As far as the suspension goes, the Tein set-up is the better of your two choices, but for nearly same price, you can have a custom Koni/Ground Control suspension.

What other mods do you have? If being competative on a budget is your goal, why not sell any mods that bump the car into STS and stay in stock class? You'll be running as fast or faster on "R" compound tires than you ever will in STS.
Kumho MX isn't available in a 225/50-15 and these are the tires that I like the most... if they were available in a 225/50-15 I'd probably get them in a heart beat, but since they're not,... based on price, supposed competitiveness, and treadwear(will be street driven tire) my first pick would be the MX

I'm not sure I want a custom Koni/GC suspension.. it would involve some extra work(wait time), and the season has already begun.

In the las vegas region, STS is a big class. I like running in it because it offers a lot of competition. GS only has about 5 drivers per event on average.. while STS commonly has over 10 drivers.
Also, I've been driving this car in stock form for quite some time now... it gets boring! LOL. Only mod that puts me into STS is my intake... but I'd like to have the coil-overs, lighter wheels, and better tires next time I'm out... just can't decide whether to choose 16 inch wheels or 15 inch wheels.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Lighter is better, it's true. In STS, a 225/50/15 street tire might not be as good as a 225/45/16 street tire though. There is no Azenis size that maintains the stock tire diameter. The closest being 215/45/16 which is slightly smaller. The BFG G-Force KD is available in 225/50/15. The Bridgestone PP SO3 and Michelin Pilot Sport are made in both 15 and 16" sizes.

My personal daily driven STS choice would be the SSR comp wheels in 16x7.5 with the SO3s. It'll be tough to compete against people using the Azenis tires, but that seems like the best compromise if you have to use the same wheels and tires on the street.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I raced, all but three races on my stock (15" GT rims, shod with Falkens). I couldn't afford light weight, wider wheels. They will do fine if you know how to drive, and or are learning and fairly new in the sport.

If you are very good, and need that little extra edge and have the cash, buy light weight wheels as mentioned by others.

Get new shocks for sure. You don't need the real expensive stuff in the kits.
I ran a stock suspension with TURD springs(TRD) for most of the first season.
The second season, I still used the TRD springs with yellow Konis.

This setup is fine. The car is very good in stock form with alignment and shocks.

You have to be honest with your skill level before you start sinking major $ into your car to try to solve your own problems.

A ran against a RSX, TypeS all last season, shod with Teins, Intake, S,shifter, Swaybars, Volks, Azenis, exhaust, and much other stuff. He also went to Evolution school. Figure out how much cash that is?!!!
My very stock Celica GT is still superior. (its not about me)
He (very nice guy) tried to solve all his problems by sinking cash into his car.

So don't go into great lengths for STS unless your name appears at the top of the results with regular frequency.

Just look at the times and results for GS class.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the reason for the new wheels.... One of my stock alloys are bent and there's no way in reforming it.. so I figured I might as well buy new lighter rims now.. probably mount the other 2 stock rims with drag radials for drag racing days, use one stock for a spare tire, and trash the bent stock one.
My stock struts are going out, so instead of buying a set of new struts(koni adj, kyb AGX) for $500, I figured I should just shell out an extra 500-600 dollars for full coil-overs.
But that's the reasoning behind getting this new stuff, it's not to get faster laps, right now I'm still a beginning driver in autox(only drove in about 4 events so far) and trying not to worry too much about placing first in STS.

My wheel of choice as of present will be the FLIK TDR's, 15x7 35mm offset..
That's if Edge-Racing ever decides to answer my topic in wheel and tire forum.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
did you bend your wheel at an autox? i am going to my first autox the 23rd and i don't want to **** my wheels up(poor high school student... yes i pay for my car i work 30+ hours a week + school if you are questioning lol). i already have good tires look at sig. so if it happen at an autox was it due to using stock tires or something?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I didn't bend the wheel at an autocross.
I bent it hitting a curb at approx. 15 mph.
I don't think you can bend a wheel at autocross unless you run into something (curb, big pothole), but the people that throw these events usually take the course away from these obstacles.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nope, no word yet..
when/if i do get it back..
it's getting modded.
if not.. then it's time to move on to something .. faster, and lighter? heh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts