1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If You Were Saddam, What Would You Do?
By Terrell E. Arnold
3-6-03

The most persistent theme in the failing war message of the Bush team is that Saddam Hussein is not cooperating with the effort to disarm him. This theme is played virtually every time Saddam reacts or doesn't react to threats of war, accusations of failure to comply with inspections, charges of failure to get rid of weapons we do not know he has, attacks by the US/British in their No Fly Zones, or new rounds of US arm-twisting in the UN to gain support for war. Saddam navigates through all of this as if he were crossing one of the numerous minefields of Afghanistan, but it is worth examining realistically just what you would do in his situation. There are several dimensions you should consider in answering.

Who Is Threatening Whom?

Throughout a barrage of threats directed against him over the entire period since 9-11, Saddam has never threatened the United States. Bush has said he will conduct a pre-emptive strike, carry out a regime change, in effect eliminate Saddam while virtually destroying his country. Saddam has resisted the temptation, which to any other leader so threatened would have succumbed to making counter threats or at least to indulge in genuinely angry bluster. When you think about it, that reaction pattern is unreal if he has all of the weapons the United States accuses him of having, but the reaction is entirely prudent if he is not equipped to respond. It would also be plausible, of course, if he were positioning devices tactically around the country or elsewhere to entrap and seriously damage an invading army. While the inspectors have not found anything of that nature, that explanation seems unlikely, but don

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Toy Yoda said:
Good read.

BTW, Tool, I notice in your sig you have a site about Christian Jews.
What's confusing about it?
I had never heard of the concept before. I still don't quite get it. What's the distinction between a Jew, a Christian, and a Christian Jew?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
A Jew doesn't believe that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, or that He is the Son of God.
A Christian does.

A Christian Jew is a Jewish person who has converted to Christianity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts