NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway, I just got back from Japan (more about that later) and as I was driving back from LAX, I ran into a tricked out SHO on the freeway.

Anyway, to make a long story short, we both gun it at 50mph on 101, take it up to about 90, by which time he has roughly 20+ cars on me. I had to exit for gas soon, and decided to take the next exit.

I guess he wanted to talk to me cause he followed me off the exit. When I got to a gas station he pulls up next to me and says "nice car man, not too many of these around these days, especially the 5speeds"

After popping his hood, I stop feeling bad about myself as I see a SHO Shop supercharger under his hood, along with various other tricked out little parts.

Anyway, I'm back, and I'll post some sh!t about Japan in the free for all section (I forget if this site even has one of those)

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
that thing still alive?:chuckles:

nice kill

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, I got smoked...some dude who posts on Supraforums or MKIV (I forget which) has an SC'ed SHO, and a stock Mark IV Supra, and he says the SHO is way faster than the Supra on the roll, but the SHO is FWD, and pretty heavy (for a FWD) so it sucks teh cack off the line

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don't those old 5speed sho's have that yamaha V6? I heard you can cam them and have them climb up over the 10,000 rpm mark, and when turboed they have produced over 500hp is that right?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
They are good stock cars. Taper of slightly on topend. But still a good enuff topend grunt. low 15's high 14's maybe stock.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GTX_GUY said:
Don't those old 5speed sho's have that yamaha V6? I heard you can cam them and have them climb up over the 10,000 rpm mark, and when turboed they have produced over 500hp is that right?
yeah, there are some 500hp+ SHO's out there.

Problem is they're not launchers. There are a few that can inch out a BPU'd Supra on top end, but pull high 13's to low 14's in the 1/4...high HP/TQ, & FWD = great traps, crap ET's

Yeah, the Yamaha V6 is capable of a lot more than Ford ever claimed. At the Yamaha R&D facilities they got 300net base horse power from the motor at something like 14000-16000 rpms...during endurance testing, they ran the motor at 8500rpms for 2 hours after which the motor was disassembled and showed no visable signs of damage or even significant wear for that matter. After Ford got a hold of the motor, and were forced to equip it in the Taurus (Yamaha was designing the motor for a MR sports car [mid engined, rear wheel drive] when Ford scraped the project) because the contract they had with Yamaha forced them to equip it in a production vehicle or something.

Since Ford driveaccessory components (such as power steering pumps, oil pumps, etc) for the most part suck, and can't handle rpm's like that, they limited it to 7300 rpm, and gave it a sh!tty 5speed tranny out of the Mazda 626 (which is known as a glass tranny). The first SHO that came out was in 1989 (the ones with the fiberglass hoods), ran a best documented 1320 ET of 14.7. I believe the 91 (my year) is capable of 1-2 tenths slower than that (due to the slight weight increase).

Most problems are fixed with the SHO with just an LSD, chip, and after market pullies. The car can run to 8500rpm pretty reliably, and one of the greatest things of all about the SHO is the powercurve...it's amazing if you've ever seen dyno's of stock SHO's in how Yamaha designed the motor to build power...the increase is steep, and stays constant nearly to the redline.

One of the things I like about the SHO is the dual intake runners. Honda guys love their Vtec, and although the technology is technically different, the basic concept of "move more air" remains the same. At 4000rpms, the second intake runner opens up, giving the car a sudden surge of a few untapped horses, and the motor begins to roar (this sounds pretty sweet with breathing modifications such as intake, exhaust, etc).

Anyway...thats my little history lesson on the SHO. I'm pretty non biased about that car, I don't lie about all the problems it has, but god damn that motor is sexy...voted to be one of the most visually attractive motors time and time again...it's all about that complicatingly beautiful weave of polished piping.

Edit: Check out http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=65003&highlight=lost+taurus for a funny story some RSX-S owner posted about losing to my Taurus...he claims I was super charged and had nitrous ;)

HAHA

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
its definately a plentiful platform.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to drive the piss out of mine, and then pull a Jay Leno, and make a SHOgun out of it (where they drop the SHO motor into a Geo Metro backwards and make it RWD)

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Originally posted by XFactor95SupraT
I want to drive the piss out of mine, and then pull a Jay Leno, and make a SHOgun out of it (where they drop the SHO motor into a Geo Metro backwards and make it RWD)
Actually I believe it's a Ford Aspire......but yeah....same principle.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are they the same chasis?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
I dont think a GEO and FORD share the same chassis

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You'd be surprised what stuff from different labels share a common chasis or other parts for that matter

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I love SHOs. I have great difficulty launching them. LSD is indeed needed. I helped out with a local one that n/a runs 13.8s at 106MPH(Black 92). 8500RPMS is no problem with it. Nice car-very comfortable. Ford actually has some neat stuff in that era as well.
My favorite SHOs are the early 90s in dark green.
The V8 SHOs are neat but not popular. SHOs never sold well due to high price and lack of auto in the early cars.
Other complaint I had was the shifter quality in the 89s and up.

You don't need to spend a lot to go fast in one even with todays standards. Most kids have no clue what the car is and get a great shock even top end where the SHO loves to rev.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mike Morris said:
I love SHOs. I have great difficulty launching them. LSD is indeed needed. I helped out with a local one that n/a runs 13.8s at 106MPH(Black 92). 8500RPMS is no problem with it. Nice car-very comfortable. Ford actually has some neat stuff in that era as well.
My favorite SHOs are the early 90s in dark green.
The V8 SHOs are neat but not popular. SHOs never sold well due to high price and lack of auto in the early cars.
Other complaint I had was the shifter quality in the 89s and up.

You don't need to spend a lot to go fast in one even with todays standards. Most kids have no clue what the car is and get a great shock even top end where the SHO loves to rev.
whats done to that local SHO you help out with?

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the seats, various marijuana storage recepticals...I mean, registration and insurance storing places, practicality, and of course, the speed.

I love passing up rice on the freeway in a Taurus, while they're redlining, and I'm barely over 4K ;)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'll go from memory. I think Blackhatch did a pass in that car and did high 13s too-been 2 years since I have seen it.

3.2 shortblock with Forged J and E pistons by B and B machine
MAF from a Lincoln Mark VIII with I believe a Superchip chip or reflash and 36 pound injectors.
Steve Hoff ported/prepped heads port matched to an extrude honed initake manifold(that cost a lot of money in terms of doing the intake.) with bigger intake butterflies. I think the heads were milled but can't recall. I do know they had over sized intake valves.
Ported TB(68MM I think was the size)
Borla catback.
ASP pulleys
SHO shop cams(ran stage 1 on intake and 2 on exhaust but I could be reversed on that)
Off road Y pipe
Walbro pump
Damon Saul modified motor mounts(basically metal strips welded in)
Quaife LSD with Nitto DRs

I am sure the car had more in it but we ran it at a crappy track(75-80) and its tranny was on the way out-with traction it should run 12s. Not bad for a n/a V6 motor. Car was running rich-I think the SHO prom was not ideal for the car. Guy uses it everyday.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
damn, I'd like to take a ride in that SHO ;(

thanks for the heads up, always a pleasure getting a fuking INTELLIGENT response from someone who knows their sh!t.

"I wanna be like Mike"

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by XFactor95SupraT
damn, I'd like to take a ride in that SHO ;(

thanks for the heads up, always a pleasure getting a fuking INTELLIGENT response from someone who knows their sh!t.

"I wanna be like Mike"

Was this directed at whom I think it was?:chuckles:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.