NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys. First of all thanks for reading my thread and for any input you give. I'm really new at this so I appreciate all the help I can get. Anyways, I just bought a Black manual 2001 GT-S about a month ago. It only had 30K miles on it and I got it for 12.5K. :) It's completely stock aside from the Clifford Alarm and Pioneer deck. I've been doing some reading and research around the internet and these forums and just trying to see what I want to do to it. I don't drive too often plus I'm going to away to college next year. (not sure if I'm bringing my car yet). I'm not really trying to turn the Celica into something really fast, but I still want to do simple performance mods. Anyways, this is what I plan to do to my car (in order).

1. Sound - 2 Rockford Fosgate P3 subs and a couple amps. The sound in the Celica is horrible.
2. S2000 antenna.
3. Intake - I was thinking about just getting an AEM intake off of EBay. Around how much should I be spending? The AEM ones I see on Ebay are around 200-250 including shipping. Am I better off getting one from a site?
4. Exhaust - I was looking at the Kazuma exhaust.
5. Headers - This is where I'm really lost. First of all, what exactly are headers for and how do they help performance. Next, what kind of headers are good for Celica's and how much should I be looking at spending.
6. Eyelids/eyebrows - I think they look cool lol. Anyone have them?
7. Wheel paint - I don't really feel like shelling out the $1000 for new rims, especially because my tires are fairly new. My friend painted his stock rims on his Eclipse and they look pretty good. I was thinking of painting the stick rims black with some wheel paint. Good idea or bad idea?

Is there anything else I should be looking at? What about spark plugs? What are some good websites to buy car stuff from? The last thing is I saw some thread about things you can do to your Celica that are inexpensive. Anyone have that link by chance?

Anyways, that's pretty much it.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
1. Good choice on the system selection. Depending on how they wired your pioneer deck into the car it could/could not cause noise interference when you put the new equipment in. I would buy some component speakers, and an amp for them. If you want it to sound really good your going to want to use some type of sound deadening material (dynomat, secondskin, etc) . You also might want to buy some of the second skin luxury liner for gluing to the interior panels you remove while applying the dynomat. This drastically reduces road noise and helps cancel unwanted vibrations that the subs are going to create.
* you can run a search on modding Scosche TA-07 for more info about the noise interference I mentioned above *

2. s2000 antenna is a good choice. I had a cheapie from ebay that was chrome for a few years and when it went to crap I bought the s2000, and have been happy since. Check the for sale forum, i think i saw someone trying to get rid of a couple of them recently.

3. Intakes are a touchy subject because every celica will react differently to them. Some prefer Injen, some prefer AEM. The general consensus is that buying the 30.00 ebay version of the AEM will work fine for what you need, if you do the bluebomber MAF mod. However, I have had a gen1 aem intake for years and have been fairly happy with it, other than the random MAF sensor cleanings when my car starts bogging majorly. If you can find one, the TPR intake was designed by a member of this board to be the "perfect" intake. Only problem was the designer only release a handful to the public, and left everyone else on a waiting list.

4. Exhaust - I have the greddy Evo 2. Its a little louder than stock but nothing very loud and raspy that would draw unwanted attention to me (police). The trd kazuma you mentioned is probably the LOUDEST exhaust out there, and its a weld-on kit. The rest of the exhausts out there are mostly bolt on kits. You can look into Tanabe Hyper Racing Medallion, Espilir, or even HKS. I would run searches on these exhausts on here first because most people have made a sound clip at one time or another. Your location info says your in cali. Check your state laws before modifying exhaust system.

5. Headers are the first path in evacuating exhaust from the motor. The better the flow of the header, the more power it can make for you. Recently Weapon R has made a long tube racing header that Youngxlos(nc.org member) and DIY101 (nc.org member) have running on their cars. You also have dc sports, which i have on my gt-s and am unhappy with. There is also Trial's header which is $$$$. Best bang for the buck definitley would be to contact Boosted2.0 (nc.org member). Boosted takes the OEM factory header and cleans up the inside welds on the runners and because of the small changes some people have seen a 10hp increase once they install the new header. Considering the trial offers like 7 or 8 hp for about 1000 bucks, you might want to go with boosted2.0's deal. He will even do the work for you, and send it out. Then all you have to do is remove it and install his, and send your original back to him to work on for someone else.

6. Eyelids are always a good choice. Make sure they are authentic TRD, they come prepainted and are much more flexible than the cheap knockoff "trd style" that float around on ebay.
here is a pic of the vinyl eyelids I had to get from BlueBatMobile (nc.org member) because my TRD eyelids started rubbing on my bumper after someone backed into me and it was taking all the paint off them.

7. Painting the stock rims isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't do it myself though. Make sure it looks right by taking it to a shop so they can spray them without the tires on and give the surface a proper preparation for the new paint.

I have these rims laying around my apartment literally taking up space. I'll get rid of them cheap, but they need a set of tires. No real curb damage except for a minor scuff on one. You could get these painted if you really wanted to.

hope this small book I have wrote helps you in selecting your parts. If its one thing I have learned with this celica, it is to do as much R&D as possible before you buy your aftermarket stuff. Because now I am finding better parts and replacing the stuff I already have replaced..haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome post. So any AEM intake on Ebay should be fine? The problem is all the AEM intakes on Ebay for run about $200...at least the ones that are going on sale now.

Oh, before I forget, are there any good websites that have a good selection of Celica parts? I looked at trdsource.com. Not bad.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
if your looking for a vast array of parts, I would look in the parts catalog that is a little outdated. But if you find something you like there, you can pm KARacing, ReyVibora, or any of the other numerous sponsors and im sure they could find you even the rarest of the parts in that catalog....although I will warn you a lot of them aren't made anymore.

If I were you I wouldn't spend 200 on a real AEM intake. I would buy the "bomz" 30.00 replica 2piece CAI kit. If you go to ebay type in "00 + celica" and sort by price and go to the LAST page...the whole page is filled with that intake.

You can then take your stock airbox, and mod the MAF housing to fit into the piping. If you do it like this you will end up with a cheap intake system, that doesn't bog. If you shell out for the real AEM kit, its a 50/50 whether its going to bog a lot, or none at all.

if you search for the blue bomber intake mod you will find all the answers you need as to why this is the better way to spend your money.

·
Registered
522 Posts
exhaust..TRD..
intake injen or AEM (aem is easier to install)
headers boosted2.0 ported headers (best bang for ur buck)

the places to buy all these stuff for a good price NECELICA.org for sale forum (great prices on use stuff.)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Canadianpimp said:
Has anyone done Blue Bomber's mod? Is it difficult to do?
I did it, not too hard, just gotta take your time doin it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts