NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wish i could say i had a good experience... the install i must say was quite simple, but u did have to use your head a little..

i could not finish installation cause the 2 holes drilled in the black plate did not line up and the tiny aluminum or tin 10mm bolt sticking out of the firewall actually snaped when i was on my 6th turn putting it together.

The drilled holes were not incredibly far off, but just enuff that when you direct the 2 bolts trought the black plate that it was at such an angle on the stock bolt stiking out of the firewall that there was too much force pressing on the 10mm bolt when tightening.

im going to correct this by modifying killerms brace putting larger bolts through the firewall (14mm) and accomidating the plate to match this.

i think long use of the toque brace will eventually weaken the cheap toyota 10mm bolt.

ill post updates and possibly pictures tomorrow when i re-finish the torque brace install.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Doh! I hate it when bolts break! Hope the broken bolt wasn't too hard to remove.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I had a little trouble getting it to fit right too.. so I loosened the bolt/nut that was provided with the brace and with a little shove it went on.

I was a wondering if those bolts will hold up... I guess only time will tell :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
The bolts should hold up, especially the one supplied. The welded one on the frame is not a load bearing bolt for the brace, it is just there to stabilize the bracket.

As for the problem noitseuQ has, I talked to him last night, he decided he is going to fix the bolt himself, by replacing the broken welded one with a new bolt through the shock tower.

I had a few mechanics look at the brace and bracket design and they all thought the stock mounting bolt would hold up fine to the stress added, especially since it is not the main stress bolt.

If anyone has any questions about the brace before or after purchasing please feel free to PM me with those questions. I'm always willing to help the best I can.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i drilled a hole this am right through the shock tower completly eliminating the stock welded 10mm bolt... i put a 14mm bolt in place of the 10mm... drilled a bigger hole in the black torque brace plate and fastend the device down.

i and going to weld this tomorrow so that im assured i will have no problems...

overall it wasnt really big deal to me taking this extra step to correct this. after all in production of a new product there are bound to be some slight errors, not to flame but it does happen.

maybe if i wasnt slightly so mechanically oriented i would have though otherwise and be pissed but im not...

so far so good and im happy.

also i will be posting a review of the torque brace and bills motor mount this weekend working in combination together.

=)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.