NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting my brakes replaced at Bob Tyler Toyota in Pensacola and my car was broken into while at the dealership. No sign of forced entry, they had to unbolt my seat to get to the brain of the dvd player. Then re-install the seat? Plus you need a socket wrench to un-bolt the seat, what kinda thief carries a socket set to steal a radio? Dealership refuses to pay for it, and cops say all they can do is run the serial number and look for pawn shop transactions. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
[OT Response]Watch DVD's at home[/OT Response] :gap:

What was the dealerships reason for not paying for it...

You will need to fight it with the shop...get whatever you can out of them....and at the same time file a claim with your insurance company. Let your insurance company's lawyers fight it out with the dealer's insurance company.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
reason for them not paying is they said they said they're not responsible for any damage that occurs on their grounds. What happend was unfortunate and out of their control, therefore they won't pay.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Originally posted by CelicaRcr01
reason for them not paying is they said they said they're not responsible for any damage that occurs on their grounds.
While this is probably true if they have it in their paperwork, or posted up somewhere, I still think some level of negligence is involved here. I hope you know a lawyer who wont charge you for some advice.

·
Registered
638 Posts
well, im telling u this now, that u will most likely not get anything except from ur insurance company, and since many ppl dont get A/V insurance. .. you are gonna get rapped. .

i got my TV/DVD, my w7 and my 500/1 stolen from a dealership and i recieved 1100, that was a like 200 for the window. .. 100 to install it . .and then minus my 500$ deduct. . and i was left with like 200$ bucks. out at 4000$!!!!. . . sorry many i feel your pain. ..

NEVER TAKE UR CARS TO DEALERSHIPS. . its the new thing. . . i feel bad for everyone that does this and it happens alot. . . .

i took out 3500$ A/V insurance for all the parts in my car that are audio/video (different name for different insurance comapnys). . . and it really isn't alot of money to add it to ur poilicy. . . maybe like 25$ more a month. . look into it.. . but obviously its too late now, but next time u can be protected. . .

i know this is off topic too.. but i have a Eclipse AV8533 for sale.. retail of 2799 .. im selling it for 1800 shipped.. . insured. .everything is included. . dealer installed and de-isntalled. .

i feel your pain. .. this happens all too much

edit: my dealership tol dme that parking my car on their lot is like parking ur car at K-mart. . . they are not responsible for anything that happens while u r in the store. . . my arguement to that is. . I DONT HAND K-MART MY KEYS!. .. .

i havent found a loop whole either. . . it all depends on whether or not ur dealership has morals.

edit again: that is really ****e dup that they had enough time to remove the brain. . somthing about that is REALLLL FISHY. . but hey. . my keys were stolen when my car got broken into!?.. figure that one out. .

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
There is no way, a dealership, which usually caters to customers satisfaction , can say they are not responsible for things inside their grounds. I can understand if it was say, mcdonalds because they dont need your car and only provide parking just for that. Parking, but you take the car to toyota not as a ride but to get servied by them. You go there for the car. And as strange as ur situation is, I think a lawyer would do you very good.

·
Registered
22,454 Posts
Originally posted by NoRulzAt140 Mph
There is no way, a dealership, which usually caters to customers satisfaction , can say they are not responsible for things inside their grounds. I can understand if it was say, mcdonalds because they dont need your car and only provide parking just for that. Parking, but you take the car to toyota not as a ride but to get servied by them. You go there for the car. And as strange as ur situation is, I think a lawyer would do you very good.
I agree 100% not to mention they carry insurance on the dealership for this exact kind of thing. I'd definitely speak to a lawyer.

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
I would definately 1. call ur lawyer, u have a case. 2. Contact the dealers insurance and inquire them of what happened. 3. Ask for a record of what mechanics were on staff to give to the police for questioning. 4. Just get your lawyer involved and they will replace it... 500 bucks or whatever it was is nothin to a dealership, because you can threaten to publicize about what happened in their repair center and get them to lose alot of business and big places like a dealership get highly scared of losing customers if they had a good rep before hand.

-greg

·
Registered
638 Posts
dealerships have insurance, for when one of their employee's back's into ur car on stuff like that, but there is a waver at the bottom of the drop of envolpe. . . its there. . ****ed up, but its there. . .

and i agree that they should protect the customer, and customer satisfaction.. . but the reality is. . . they dont have morals and that they will not insure the crap in our cars :(

·
Registered
245 Posts
That's bs, the only way they can't be responsible for it is if they properly kept the car safe within a reasonable level, like kept it locked and in a garage or fenced in, if they hadn't then its negligence and so they would be responsible and thats only if your car was kept there over night, i don't think they have an excuse if it was during business hours.
A garage can't use that excuse of not being responsible for what happens to the car because that is their job, to keep it safe and working while its in their hands, like someone said above if it was a mcdonalds or any store parking lot that doesn't deal with fixing cars etc can use that excuse.

but laws are different everywhere i doubt theres any place that would let a dealership/garage use that as a waiver tho.

totally talk to a lawyer

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
unfortunately this happens at alot of dealers. I know a service guy at my local toyota that steals stuff from customer cars. He knows the dealer wont take any responsibility for theft so you're basically screwed. Last time I was at the dealer pickin up parts, there so happen to be another spyder there with a TRD stage 1 kit and he asked if I wanted it for $300. New one is like $1500. I declined but it was very tempting since I been looking to get this kit for quite some time. Dealers are shady and so are their employees.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
i have meantioned this before on this board...research what the legal term bailment means...essentially, it means despite the garbage that many companies try to represent when it comes to not being held responsible to your vehicle while it is on their grounds...a bailment states that once a person (or company) has taken physical "possession" of your vehicle...has sole control, meaning on their property, they take full responsibility for that item. They willl say they are not held liable to save them from a lot of lawsuits, but I do believe if you research this, or if you got a lawyer, using the key word bailment might help you out a lot.

Hope this help!

TIM

** just to add...I quickly googled bailment law and this was the first thing that came up, you can search for more details if you are interested **

again, hope this helps--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bailment Law and Legal Definition
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the law of bailments establishes a lower standard of care for the bailee in a gratuitous bailment agreement, such an agreement or receipt should indicate explicitly that the bailee is acting without compensation.
A bailment is the act of placing property in the custody and control of another, usually by agreement in which the holder (bailee) is responsible for the safekeeping and return of the property. Examples include securities left with the bank, autos parked in a garage, animals lodged with a kennel, or a storage facility (as long as the goods can be moved and are under the control of the custodian). There are different types of bailments- "bailments for hire" in which the custodian (bailee) is paid, "constructive bailment" when the circumstances create an obligation upon the custodian to protect the goods, and "gratuitous bailment" in which there is no payment, but the bailee is still responsible. There is a lower standard of care imposed upon the bailee in a gratuitous bailment, and the parties may contract to hold the bailee free from liability in any bailment..
Relevant legal forms include:

Bailment contract--As collateral security (field warehousing agreement)--By borrower, bank, and bailee
Bailment contract--For inspection by customer
Bailment contract--For inspection by broker
Receipt--Gratuitous use of security facilities
Receipt--Parking of motor vehicle
Receipt--Incidental storage of property
Notice--Limitation of liability for gratuitous bailments
Notice--Termination of indefinite bailment--By bailee
Notice--Termination of indefinite bailment--By bailor
Notice--To remove property gratuitously bailed

·
Registered
792 Posts
Bob Tyler???? Why? they are horrible? I would have helped you install new brakes and wouldnt have charged you anything. Those *******s stole all my laundry change that i keep in the ashtray. Must have been like 7 dollars worth of quarters in there and when I as halfway home i realize there is nothing but a few pennies and nickles. I mean its no big loss but a place that has workers that steal change is intolerable. That and the fact I had to argue with two different people to get my car back b/c they said it was still being worked on when it was sitting right out the window. I mean, I know what my car looks like. It is sitting there in plain view out the waiting room window, and they have the balls to tell me no my car is still bing worked on b/c the bitch was too stupid to look infront of her and see the keys. My rant is done, don't take your car there for anything, good luck getting money out of them.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I've had my in-dash stolen from a movie theater parking lot. My insurance (AllState) gave me ~$2600 which paid for everything. They paid for the indash b/c it was in "stock location". They didn't pay for the sub, and amp in the trunk, but that's fine, the lcd was the most expensive.

I've seen on the news that 3 maximas had their HID headlights stolen from the dealer lot, and the dealership did not pay for anything b/c they said they were not responsible for any damages that occur in their lots. But the 3 owners went to their local news station and they did a Shame on You type of thing on the dealership. I think the next day the dealership paid for new headlights for them all.

Talk to a lawyer see what they say. Otherwise hope you have a good insurance company.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all your help, i'll keep you updated, also if anyone has a corporate toyota address that i can write to it would be appreciated, i can't seem to find one.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I actually just had a dream last night that my car got hit, and was being repaired at a dealership when my spoiler was stolen. That was probably thanks to this thread. :p:
The more I was thinking about it when I woke up the more fvcked up the situation seems. I can understand what happened to imouse, but the fact that they would pick YOUR car out of all of the cars on the lot, the fact that there was no sign of forced entry, and all the other $hit makes this shady as hell. I think you need to take everyone's advice here, and I think Bizzy needs to report that MF. DO NOT LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THIS!

·
Registered
173 Posts
dave we will figure it out... even if it mean walkin around with 'i got robbed by bob tyler' signs ;)

seriously though, push to talk to the GM... and tell the manager to go to hell...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts