NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
I like the way my GTS handles and performs. It's a great DD. I don't drive fast anyway I bought the car for looks and it has all the hp I need.

·
Registered
319 Posts
As the saying goes, "better to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow".
www.automobilemag.com/features/great_drives/0903_slow_cars_the_joy_of_slow/index.html

All I have are slow roads, not a freeway within 2 hours, and my all-stock gts is very nice on these mountain/canyon roads. Though, a n/a MkI MR2 might be even better...
I agree.

I have to say, sadly, the Celica is too fast for my area. Ever since I got it I've gotten really annoyed that I keep getting caught by slow people. My roommate teases me more likely that my car just feels slow at the same speeds my other car felt fine at.

People in my area suck :(. I have barely had a chance to even really feel the sportiness of the car (when I do it's quite fun though).

·
Registered
93 Posts
^^^ but... you drive a gt. dont expect it to be much faster than average cars on the road. :wave:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sigh. You guys have misconstrued my thread. Sure, a gts hitting lift will accelerate faster to 100 than a gt will, but so what? For many of us real world conditions don't allow either vehicle to fully utilize it's performance. I think Tigress understood that.

On my roads, it's irresponsible for me to drive my gts over 5/10ths. It's very pleasant, but not as engaging as my old '85 gt (115 hp, 5 speed, rwd) which I could drive at 8/10ths plus without feeling like I was endangering others.

Comments?

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
I'm sure you have long enough roads to get to higher speeds. The GTS is quicker then some cars on the road.

·
Registered
319 Posts
^^^ but... you drive a gt. dont expect it to be much faster than average cars on the road. :wave:
*rolls eyes*

It really doesn't matter when I don't even get a chance to use the GT's acceleration. On top of that, with the stiff suspension, better handling, the car feels slower at faster speeds and therefore is more annoying to drive with the slow drivers around me than an "average" car.

Anyways, if we are talking fast cars, sorry, but the GTS really doesn't have that great reputation compared to other sporty cars.

What is it with the GT bashing on this group? Yeah, it's not a GTS, it's still fun (and we get better gas mileage and don't pay as much for our cars). It's still got the same suspension and everything else. It's not even like an RSX vs an RSX type s where the type s gets a better package for handling even.

·
Registered
6,705 Posts
*rolls eyes*

It really doesn't matter when I don't even get a chance to use the GT's acceleration. On top of that, with the stiff suspension, better handling, the car feels slower at faster speeds and therefore is more annoying to drive with the slow drivers around me than an "average" car.

Anyways, if we are talking fast cars, sorry, but the GTS really doesn't have that great reputation compared to other sporty cars.

What is it with the GT bashing on this group? Yeah, it's not a GTS, it's still fun (and we get better gas mileage and don't pay as much for our cars). It's still got the same suspension and everything else. It's not even like an RSX vs an RSX type s where the type s gets a better package for handling even.

You will hear alot of GT bashing on here. Just ignore it and you will be fine.

There are some differences from the GT-S to the GT though. The GT-S has rear disc brakes and the GT has drum. That is the biggest difference in the suspension and braking part.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Saying that the GT-S is faster than the GT is not bashing, it is a fact. AND AGAIN I will remind you that I like the GT.
That's fine and I wasn't responding to you but to everyone who keeps treating the GT as a POS and saying that it was a waste of money just cause the GTS is faster.

To bash me cause I was saying my GT felt too fast for traffic here though just cause the GTS is faster is ridiculous. I just get the feeling some people on here consider it a dog just cause their GTS is faster (and I will remind them, the Celica in general's strong point is not speed. If you wanted a good accelerator, you really should have just gotten a different car).

Or to start saying I should get a Civic just cause gas mileage is a factor in what I decide to purchase (just cause I am concerned about that doesnt mean I also don't want a sporty car and I think the GT is a good balance of both).

Though, apparently, people just can't get along, even when fans of the same (but different models fo cars). I was perusing an RSX forum and there was the same arguement going on there about the base RSX vs. type s. And I know for my BMW 325 the i fanatics pretty much stick their noses up at the e (They probably have the most reason. You really can't get much engine mods for the e. You are pretty stuck engine performance wise with what you get where as the i has the faster engine plus you can really mod it out for better performance. Actually, the RSX type s people may have a point too. Can't tell cause I haven't driven a type s but I will say the base was not all that impressive in terms of fun to drive. If the type s has better handling like claimed, that may redeem the RSX to me. At least with the e vs i on the BMW the e is still fun, just not so fast. And the GT is a fun car even if the GTS is faster :) ).

·
Registered
319 Posts
You will hear alot of GT bashing on here. Just ignore it and you will be fine.

There are some differences from the GT-S to the GT though. The GT-S has rear disc brakes and the GT has drum. That is the biggest difference in the suspension and braking part.
Heh, my cousin said that he was on some thread in some forum discussing the merits of changing out the drums in the back for discs.

Apparently they came to the conclusion that for the very little performance difference you would get, it's not worth it. I'd still consider it though if it weren't too expensive (and if I get on a better budget). I'll admit it's my own personal bias even if I hear it's not much difference (I'll say my Celica's brakes seem pretty good to me).

·
Registered
265 Posts
^^^Tigress, look at it this way. It is unlikely that a GT-S driver will be able to hit lift in heavy traffic. The GT-S is faster, but only in short bursts. They get 4 disc brakes(very good ones at that) and a nicer sound system, but a lot of people go to afterkmarket anyways.

To me though, the GT would be my preferred daily driver. The extra speed that you would get out of the GT-S isn't worth paying for premium gas and the decreased gas mileage. I test drove both cars when I was shopping for a Celica and I preferred the GT. Not to menion that a GT could be had for nearly half the price of the GT-S. The GT is a better deal over all.

Of course, that's just my opinion. Not that it matters, I decided on a 2004 Elantra. :D

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
Of course, that's just my opinion. Not that it matters, I decided on a 2004 Elantra. :D
Funny but you do bring up a lot of good points. I hit lift a couple times a week and normally when i'm entering onto the thruway or if no one is around.

I think in general celicas are great cars because they offer good styling, handling and performance. It's a great dd.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Funny but you do bring up a lot of good points. I hit lift a couple times a week and normally when i'm entering onto the thruway or if no one is around.

I think in general celicas are great cars because they offer good styling, handling and performance. It's a great dd.
I agree. I do think that the GT-S is fun to drive too, especially on the highway. When you want to have fun on the highway, the GT-S is a very willing accomplice.

The reason why I went with the Elantra was because the Elantra is a good performer for a daily driver and insurance was significantly cheaper. I've been looking for a house so I decided to get this car to cut back on costs and I will buy either a Genesis or some sort of roadster in the future.

·
Registered
319 Posts
^^^Tigress, look at it this way. It is unlikely that a GT-S driver will be able to hit lift in heavy traffic. The GT-S is faster, but only in short bursts. They get 4 disc brakes(very good ones at that) and a nicer sound system, but a lot of people go to afterkmarket anyways.
That's kinda been my point on why I prefer the GT :) Plus, for my driving style, I'd probably never hit lift. I hate revving high (it's an odd quirk. It really does start grating on my nerves to change gears when it starts revving high and it bugs me until I do). I usually find myself in the 3-4k range in my Celica and when I'm pushing it I still end up changing at like 5-5.5k range (though honestly the car feels like it's stronger in the 3-4k range).

And the brakes are actually pretty decent on the GT despite the backs being drum. As I said, I hear it's not a huge difference performance wise (or at least not worth the money difference) but me being biased if it wasn't too expensive and I had the money I'd probably switch over anyways :).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.