NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to do the blue bomber mod the other day and was halted by something: it didn't look like it would all fit in there with the injen CAI. :wtc:
so lemme see if i have this right:
i cut out the MAFS from the stock air box, then i stuck it in the stock tube that atteches to the intake. now, i measure the length of that and cut that much from the Injen tube? does anyone know exactly where to cut? will i be cutting the mountin bar off? and will i be able to just cut my angled Injen coupler and use it to attach the MAFS to the Injen tube? thanks ahead

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
oooh and i was planning on doing this too. i haven't seen any pics of this mod with injen cai. i hope someone has done this mod.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks blue, i'm pretty sure you've given me this info before, but i couldn't find the post.
the prices there are good, but the shipping rapes. anyone know of any non-internet stores that sell these things?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Any local speed shop should be able to get you a silicone coupler. Maybe even Pep Boys or Autozone has them. Make sure it's 2.5". The fit will be a bit snug, but that's what you want. Helps keep the CAI and stock airbox tube together better.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
There's no room to use the stock hose on Injen. Here's a pic of how to set it up:

As you can see, you'll also need another silicone coupler (black in the pic) to make it work. You can get one cheap from here:

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/m...roduct_Code=ATP-SIL-041&Category_Code=SIL-STR
ok. so i may have some problems (or i may not). i did the BB mod yesterday, and forgot to get another coupler beforehand (i'm dumb sometimes, ok?).

So, after trying a couple different things i finally cut the stock intake pipe down and shaved the inside so that it's now doing the job of the black coupler in the pics above.
here's what i got:
- my intake braket doesn't reach to the bushing it mounts on
- the only way I could get it to work is to angle-cut the injen coupler so the MAFS angles forward and down
- the CAI is pulled up to it and turned slightly
- the stock pipe (now cut and shaved) is cut at 45* and that's the only way it works. the one above is straight. WTF?

it works, but i'm afraid that when i get new couplers that it won't. any ideas?

also, is the injen coupler 2.5" ID?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Pics? I think the Injen coupler is a bit bigger than 2.5", since the pipe went on easier than with the black coupler in the pic above, but 2.5" will work fine.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics? I think the Injen coupler is a bit bigger than 2.5", since the pipe went on easier than with the black coupler in the pic above, but 2.5" will work fine.
welp, here are pics of the install. sorry the black pipe is in the way of the first one, but i kept the car running so i could have a little more light to take the pics (just ran out and took them)

here's the best pic to see the angle:

·
Registered
903 Posts
i cant find those 2.5 couplings anywhere...i went to auto zone and all of those...even performance shops...and 17 bucks online is a rip!

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Looks like you just need a regular coupler. It's longer than the poor stock hose you mangled. ;) The coupler I used in my pics is a straight one, but it conformed to the shape of the intake. All you'd need to do is attach one end of the coupler to the end of the airbox tube, then the other end to the Injen piping, but you don't need to push the pipe in all the way. The further out it is, the more room you'll have. You could try to put the stock hose on the throttle body, then the airbox tube, then the Injen coupler, too

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like you just need a regular coupler. It's longer than the poor stock hose you mangled. ;)
come on. i didn't mangle it.. i was being innovative. we were in my buddy's front yard doing this, okay?:D
lol... i'm just gonna order 2 couplers online so it looks good. if all else fails, i'll just put it back the way i have it now. thanks!

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by Moron
Why is this suggested? And can you do it on the AEM CAI?
It eliminates all the annoying bogging and CELs associated with aftermarket intakes. It keeps the engine from running lean by giving the MAFS the correct readings, unlike all aftermarket intakes except TPR (which is based off of my mod).

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
jway83 said:
come on. i didn't mangle it.. i was being innovative. we were in my buddy's front yard doing this, okay?:D
lol... i'm just gonna order 2 couplers online so it looks good. if all else fails, i'll just put it back the way i have it now. thanks!
hey man....that injen cai looks familar :chuckles:...

i believe i sold that to you along with your TRD quikshifter w/ kumosport bushings...

i miss my gt-s :wtc:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by TRD2000GTS
hey man....that injen cai looks familar :chuckles:...

i believe i sold that to you along with your TRD quikshifter w/ kumosport bushings...

i miss my gt-s :wtc:
hehe... you have a good memory. and i have a better intake :naughty:
what have you got done to yer tc?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts