NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrite well last weekend I installed my Bomz CAI (Ebay Intake) into my 2003 GT. Installed went, well ok, everything did end up working out alrite end the end.

The Air Filter itself is positioned infront of the drivers side wheel. Now I have sealed all the holes in the well with black ducktape or whatever but theres still a big problem that I see.... Since I dont have any kind of Fog Light assembly in the front bumper there is a huge gaping hole exposing my filter essentially.

Now I know on Civics you can get fog light covers to cover these holes... Do they offer any of these for celica's or what do you all recomment. I KNOW atleast a third of you guys have this same install.

Peace.

And by the way, those of you who are interested in getting a CAI... Seriously i am 110% happy with my $50 Ebay CAI. Amazing performance, definite change.

-echo

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
You should be fine. The duct tape will not last though.
Buy one of those rubber mat at autozone. It cost like 1 dollar, and get a rubber compound glue or some sort of heavy duty glue. Cut the rubber mat to match the groove (Hole). And your done.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Nope. The only downside, it will get the filter dirty fast. They have a cover for the fog lights. I remember from my bro-in-law first 00 celica. He didn't have a fog light, the bumper came with a plastic cover.
As you long you don't get the filter fully submerge in the water you should be ok.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about the filter getting dirty, if it's rechargable you shouldn't have a problem, as for water, if you search google, a number of companies make a water repellent "sock" that fits over the filter that helps with water...I had one on my Injen CAI...just take a look around, congrats on your CAI

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting aproaches, never really thought about that. Thanks for the responce guys.

Just to through this out there, the weirdest thing happened during my CAI installation. The Vibra mount actually fell in half before I even had installed it. I had to superglue it :rolleyes:

·
Muffinboy
1,606 Posts
JDM Cold Air Intake.......

2002 with fog lights... the only problem i had was part of my air dam was hanging down so i cut it off so it wouldnt drag... I have a video of it but for some reason it wont download off the camera... here are some pics of mine...

Throttlebody to CAI.

ByPass Filter.

I didnt put that second piece of plastic piping on that goes from my ECU

Looking through my Bumber in front of my driverside wheel.

Looking up at the main filter with the transmission in the background.

Not much room for the ByPass Filter...

The bushing/bolt for the mount along the finder where the stock intake was bolted in at.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Most of the guys on here use the heat shield option. I'll hopefully have my fog lights in soon :) I built my own from the round covers in the TRD bumper and some parts from work.

·
Muffinboy
1,606 Posts
DesigningEcho said:
Any idea where I could find some of these covers? I might get one and just perforate it with some medium size holes just to be safe

Does your CAI have the bypass filter?

If it does dont worry about getting it wet.. it will be fine.
The CAI w/ bypass sucks through both filters. But more from the cold air then the ByPass. Its basically a short ram and a CA in one. The great thing is it sucks more out of the cold air then the bypass. Since the bypass is on there then there wont be a vaccum caused by the engine until it gets to the bypass filter.... So your engine wont be able to suck the water into the engine unless it is completely submerged. Quaint design if you ask me.

'The Muffin Man'

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brilliant concept, but unfortunately I have a Bomz Ebay CAI. Now mine is a two piece mind you, so could a "bypass" filter be installed? I like the idea of this more, because I feel that having that huge gaping hole next to the intake is what helps it.... So can these be installed inbetween my two pipes? seems like it could?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
themuffinman said:
heat shield option? tell me more....
I went through ebay a week ago. OBX sells intake heatsheild (15-20 dollars i think), check it out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.