NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been about 2 years but I finally came across a 2003+ OEM bumper and installed it on my car. I also have the below replica C-One lip.

Does anyone have any experience with installing one or perhaps a similar lip like a Greddy one?

It seems simple enough except for the fitment of this lip is garbage, but I guess that i expected from a replica. It appears that I may have to cut off some of the material that would fit in between the pillars of the front bumper. I think it is too wide and it doesn't let the lip fit flush against the bumper. The sides of the lip also seem to be wider than the bumper and it looks like I would really have to crank it in to make it fit. I am not sure that double sided 3M tape could get the job done.

Does anyone have a similar experience and is it expected that the lip would need to be modified in order to fit? Do you think that heating it up would allow me to shape it or should I just get a professional auto body shop to play with it?

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,871 Posts
I have mounted several of these C-One replica lips and Greddy too, they are nowhere near the same either. The Greddy is fragile & easy to damage if you are very low, but it fits great. This one has off fitment, but takes a lot of abuse without damage. Since this one is urethane it is very flexible and can warp more depending on how it was stored in the warehouse before shipment. It has to be reshaped to an extent with a heat gun to get it to fit. I also created custom bolt points to keep my current one fully secured to the oem front as possible. You could have a shop do it, but it will be expensive... likely much more than the lip cost since it takes hours of fiddling to get it mounted cleanly

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Ghost, thank you very much for the reply. I was kinda hoping you were still around because your C-One lip looks great.

Today I spent some time with it and shaved off some excess material that was preventing it from fitting inside the center part of the bumper (circled).

The lip just seems like it was made for a car with a bumper about 5 inches wider than mine. Below I forced both sides to fit on my bumper and as you can see this caused the middle part to swell and push up. The second picture is probably the best view. It looks like I would need to cut a triangle out of that middle part to release the tension and not have it buckle like that. This of course would kind of ruin that part of the bumper.

Any suggestions? I do have a heat gun if you think that would help at all, but I am not sure how I could make that hill go away. It seems like too much excess plastic.

CelicaCOne1.PNG
CelicaCOne2.PNG

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,871 Posts
Every one of those lips is warped a little differently and requires special tweaking. My current C-one was similar. By the way, when i fitted mine i removed the 03+ front bumper cover from the car to do it in the comfort of my home instead of lying on the ground outside.

I would take your front off and inside for this too. The front grill needs to come out anyway since you should clamp the c-one lip to the oem lip from behind while heating it to get it to form better. I basically used big plastic spring clamps from home depot on all parts of the lip while heating it in sections to soften and fit, then I added special bolt/screw points in areas that still tried to pucker or pull away (see my pic). While doing this you will see which edges need more shaving if any. I also used heavy duty ds tape in the middle to keep that down. I wouldn't cut the middle front though. After all that I also made a custom from splitter/scrape plate for the bottom to flatten it out and prevent drooping, as well as protecting the lip from scraping.

Keep in mind that this lip is heavy and will retain flexibility over time, which means it will try to pull away from the front if not securely mounted, and will look like crap. If you mount it like i did it isn't going anywhere. Mine still looks clean and tightly fitted after 5 years.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the info. I was thinking I got a massively defective part but I guess it is good to hear that the majority are like this.

Did you do all the heating before or after it was painted? I was thinking the heat might damage or fade the paint. Perhaps I will try to fit it on perfectly and add some extra bolts like you suggested. Once all the bolt holes are drilled and it can be fastened decently well, then get it painted and add the double sided tape?

Do the screws you have in the front sides stick well? Or do you think a small bolt would be better? I assume you also have a bolt on each side by the wheel well?

I am also curious about your custom splitter. Do you have any articles on here where you talk about that at all?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went ahead and brought the bumper in as suggested and worked on getting a good fit before I get it painted.

The lip was 71.5 inches wide while the bumper was 66, so I had to slowly compress it between a couch and cabinet while heating it until i was able to get it down to 66 inches.

Next I heated the sides and added clamps to keep it snug in place where I wanted. The first 2 pictures are each side by the pillars. This is the only place I have a gap now. You can see the floor between the bumper and lip, but it only appears to be about 1/2 inch. Perhaps when it is painted and I add double sided tape I may be able to pull that in closer.

I was able to get the front to lay down quite nicely. It wanted to curl up at the ends so a bolt there like Ghost Dragons may help prevent that. Perhaps if it cooled in that shape then double sided tape would be all that is needed.

This is the back side. Right below the clamp on the right side of the photo I think would be a good place to put a bolt. Also, does that look fitted correctly?

The worst warping occurred on the bottom part of the lip. Since I had to compress it by 6 inches and I kept the top from warping like in the earlier photos I posted, all the warping happened underneath.

The bottom part of the lip was curved up into the bottom of the bumper and looked like a sin wave. I did a lot of heating here and then added the wood to try and pin the bottom part of the lip back down on the floor. I hope that when it cools it will naturally want to stay flat, but I feel like it may try warping back up again and I am not sure how I could prevent that unless I drill little pillars of wood into the bumper to keep that shape.

Are there any recommendations on what size bolts to put in the back sides (by the clamp in picture 4) and in the pillars (by the clamps in pictures 1 and 2)? I think I will drill those holes now before it gets painted and while I have it fitting this good. Once I unclamp this and unpin it from between the couch and dresser, I think it may spring back again at least somewhat. I want to make sure the holes are correct so I can force it back into that position once it is painted.

·
Klaatu barada nikto
1,871 Posts
Yeah that's the way, you got it. In fact those plastic spring type clamps are the same I used. See how the heat and clamping fixes a lot? Bolts & ds tape will keep the middle down. All must be done before paint though. Test mount grill & all hardware while it is still clamped and shaped in the desired position.

Yes, I also put 2 trim screws in each side wheel arch too, to keep the sides down. The bolts I used in the middle are just standard hex heads but can't recall the exact size (maybe 1/4 - 20). Just use what you think looks right, nothing too big, but be sure they are steel and rust resistant. Trim screws worked fine for the other areas (except the splitter which were specialty bolts). I didn't make a vid of the splitter process since it got a little complicated and involved, but I'm a professional fabricator so I got it to work. But like I said the bottom needs something to keep it from warping... and it will droop over time (especially on hot summer days). That is a whole other process though, but can be done after paint if preferred.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the bumper painted and then I installed it. I would give the finished product an 8.5/10 or so. It was a little difficult maneuvering it into place with the DS tape on because it wanted to stick immediately and I couldn't adjust it easily. There is a slight gap on the passenger side by the pillar like in the earlier pictures, but not noticeable unless you are looking for it. I wound up securing the bottom part of the lip to the bottom of the bumper with wood pillars so it couldn't stretch away in the heat and also so it couldn't buckle upwards. Using long bolts would be preferable but I didn't have any. I can always get back at it later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts