NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a plastic tube that seems to go from the radiator fan shroud to a small box right below my battery, and it is in the way of my CAI. Would there be any serious consequences for removing it? I don't know what it would be for. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
it is suppose to keep the ecu cool, but i dont know if removing really has any effects?

anyone?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also, the air bag sensor is in the way. I'm pretty sure I don't want to remove it. I like my face the way it is, lol. Can I move it to a different spot? Would it have to be oriented in the same direction?

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
what intake did you purchase????

I had no issues with my injen, just cut the fender well and install. it comes with silicone couplers to cut and extend the ecu cooling tube so it fits properly

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Not sure what you're on about exactly, but running without the cooling duct to the ecu is fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok Ok. I don't have to remove the airbag sensor. I just had to push the radiator hose out of the way and orient the piping a little differently. I have it installed now and I've revved the engine a few times. Let me tell you, it sounds wayyy cooler in the higher RPMs - anythings about 4000 really.

I got the kit off of ebay for an easy $50. It didn't come with directions, or silicone couplers apparently. I'll have to go to the autoparts store for those. I don't like the idea of removing something that didn't have to be removed. At least it's good to know that I can drive there without having any problems. Should I rig up a piece of cloth over the ecu cooling duct so no dust can get in there, for my ride to the store?

·
Registered
917 Posts
You should be able to get that tube in with your cai. There's a bolt or screw along that tube you can take off to give you a little more space. I'm not an expert though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
im having the same problem.. i bought a AEM Cold Air Used and i dont know what to do with the ECU air thing that goes in the radiator anyone have any ideas???

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
I believe it should fit with AEM. Maybe I am mistaken.

I doubt toyota would have put that tube if there was no advantage of running with it. that's why I like to keep it. But, at the same time, being a electric engineer, I can't think of a chip used in the ECU that would need cooling. There is no intel cpu in there!! Only thing I could think is the excess of heat generated since it is right next to the engine.

In general (i am not saying it applies here), you want to cool down electronic stuff to make them more reliable and last longer usually when you have big complex chips and/or chips that run at high frequency.

The answer might be different depening if you use stock ecu or PFC ..

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
the AEM normally came with an adapter that lets you retain that tube by removing the lower part and using a vacuum hose from the fan to connect to the upper tube. my GT came without that upper tube portion and has not had the ECU cooling tube in it for some time. I wouldn't worry about dust getting in there. it's just as easy for it to get in there with the tube as it is without. I would not plug that hole up though becuase some airflow to the ECU will help it keep cool.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
oh and about the dust, it gets air from head on with a small lead to the cooling tube from the cooling fans. the iar isn't filtered anyway, so 'dust' wont do a single thing

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
The ecu is packaged anyways. When I opened mine, the circuit was clean inside, not like a old PC .. lol!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone! I went to work today without the ecu tube in and the car did great, even despite the rain and no splash guard for the filter. It is definitely more responsive than it was, and it seems to be getting better the more I drive. I'm really happy about it! I'll still have to get that ecu tube in though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts