NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue where the instrument cluster (tach, spedo, fuel, temp, door open indicator, etc) and AC stop working. It only happens under the following conditions and can be reproduced easily. All fuses have been check and are OK.

1. No Gauges
  2. Remove and replace Multi-Fuse 20 (which is new and good)
  3. Gauges and AC work
  4. Drive car or start etc. and everything works fine
  5. Power off car for exactly 1 min. or more with doors closed
  6. Start car and no gauges or AC again
  7. If wait less than 1 min. (tested 30 sec. to 59 sec. ) to restart the car and all gauges and AC continue to work fine

Looking for suggestions on where to start diagnosing. TY

·
Registered
108 Posts
A lot of the functionality is in the cluster, i'd start with that. The ac amplifier i'm told is in the cluster for example. They are fairly reasonable on ebay, if you are good you can get one way under $50.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New development

All Gauges and AC work if multi Fuse 20 (Dome, MPX-B and ECU-B) is pulled out and left out. :wtf2:

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,508 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket alarm system? It sounds like some weird backfeed or drop after an exit delay (which could also be the OEM dome system).

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,508 Posts
All Gauges and AC work if multi Fuse 20 (Dome, MPX-B and ECU-B) is pulled out and left out.
Weird. Because ECU-B provides battery to the cluster.

I'm afraid you're going to have to troubleshoot this with a voltmeter.

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
In any case I would check the relays on the passenger side

·
Registered
530 Posts
I suggest you also look for a loose connection (likely on the cluster itself) or a corroded ground.

The cluster wires go into the junction block to the left of the centre console beside the body computer. Maybe some rodent got in there and made a nest.
Pull the plastic panels off under the driver's side dash and see if something obvious is happening.

Hope this helps.
Dentman

1 - 8 of 8 Posts