NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the new owner of a 2005 Celica GTS action package in solar Yellow, I have been loving the car so far. That said, it's quiet. Too quiet.... I'd like a mild to moderate increase in noise, nothing crazy though. My 2011 Civic Si was about the right level of noise, maybe a bit quiet. This is wayyyy too quiet lol. I was thinking about getting a cold air intake and catback/axle back but I don't want to get anything that requires cutting up stuff so it seems like the options for intake are fairly limited in that regard. The only one that doesn't require cutting that isn't just a straight up short ram is the KN 57i which includes a bracket that may or may not help with blocking heat from the engine, though it's unclear if this fits the 2zz.

As for an exhaust, I've been suggested to get a TRD but IDK where to even buy one. I've looked on ebay and local classified but nothing comes up unfortunately. I don't want a crazy loud exhaust so I think that rules out stuff like the invidia n1, greddy ti-c and apexi n1,
exhausts that seem to fit my criteria include magnaflow's catback, apexi world sport2, TRD. Not sure what else. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I did remove the butterfly valve in my stock airbox per some suggestions but that doesn't really do a whole lot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck finding parts bro! I just got myself a trd exhaust locally and got it for cheap. It’s not easy to find parts anymore :(
Yeah I can see that. I may have to buy something new as it's so hard to find oem stuff. I think that k&n actually will not fit my gt-s and it's only for a GT, so I am kind of inbetween the k&n typhoon and the injen short ram at this point. Leaning injen as its cheaper and its a dry-flow filter but I've read people have had some issues with injen's intakes on these cars.
exhaust will be later on I think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For the intake I just got one of the no-name CAIs off ebay and put a K&N pod filter on it. It has a great noise, really throaty and very aggressive when lift hits. For exhaust, if you want loud, but not too loud Magnaflow makes a very good axleback for the Celica. It's similar to TRD in general design, and still in production atm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For the intake I just got one of the no-name CAIs off ebay and put a K&N pod filter on it. It has a great noise, really throaty and very aggressive when lift hits. For exhaust, if you want loud, but not too loud Magnaflow makes a very good axleback for the Celica. It's similar to TRD in general design, and still in production atm.
which pod filter did u get? link? part number? lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Wow, 2005, Solar Yellow, GT-S, AND Action Package/Tsunami? That's literally a unicorn combo so congratulations on that come up! As the the exhaust you might have an issue finding something that won't eventually melt your rear bumper, but in terms of sounds the TRD does sound good but you'll need to find the extended version which was made for action package/tsunami cars (and even harder to find than the regular trd if I may add). The apexi n1 looks good but it's stupid quiet, almost sounds like the stock exhaust from the inside of your car. For the intake I would avoid cold air intakes because too many of my friends over the years have sucked up water and locked the engines up, I've had a few scares myself with my old celicas haha. If you want an aggressive crossover sound while going into lift you can't really go wrong with the Injen short ram if you want to play it safe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, 2005, Solar Yellow, GT-S, AND Action Package/Tsunami? That's literally a unicorn combo so congratulations on that come up! As the the exhaust you might have an issue finding something that won't eventually melt your rear bumper, but in terms of sounds the TRD does sound good but you'll need to find the extended version which was made for action package/tsunami cars (and even harder to find than the regular trd if I may add). The apexi n1 looks good but it's stupid quiet, almost sounds like the stock exhaust from the inside of your car. For the intake I would avoid cold air intakes because too many of my friends over the years have sucked up water and locked the engines up, I've had a few scares myself with my old celicas haha. If you want an aggressive crossover sound while going into lift you can't really go wrong with the Injen short ram if you want to play it safe.
Yeah I don't want a Cai for that reason as well as I don't want to cut everything up. This cars nearly mint and only had 12500 miles when I bought it.... Has different plates on it now but here it is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

So far I've put new tires on it (Firestone indy 500 summer tires) new hatch strut, removed the dealer badge and have my new plates on it. Absolutely love this car. Last car was a beat up matrix xrs and this is so much better, though a bit smaller lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I decided to go to the scrapyard today to look for a few odds and ends, mostly I wanted a better condition tire iron and cardboard cover for the spare as my tire iron is a bit... white and rusty. Only one of the 4 celicas they had at the 2 scrapyards had the cover and tire iron but the cardboard bent and the tire iron was white and rusty :(
That said, I was able to score some decent condition drivers side fender liners, so I can get a cold air intake and not worry about chopping up my fender liners - I'd take the current ones off and cut up these new ones.
I get where you guys are coming from with the hydrolocking potential, so I did find a product that seems to avoid that issue with a bypass valve:
\kind of expensive but surely its worth it

·
Registered
86 Posts
The car is absolutely stunning, definitely a 7th gen enthusiasts dream come true! (For me at least hahaha) As for the bypass valve you actually lose power running it and I’ve still known people who have locked up even with that installed. The only real benefit of the CAI will be a loud crossover into lift and that’s about it. Would be a huge shame if the engine died at such little miles :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car is absolutely stunning, definitely a 7th gen enthusiasts dream come true! (For me at least hahaha) As for the bypass valve you actually lose power running it and I’ve still known people who have locked up even with that installed. The only real benefit of the CAI will be a loud crossover into lift and that’s about it. Would be a huge shame if the engine died at such little miles :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, yeah I'm in love with the car. It's like a time capsule! garaged its whole life, even the interior smells like new. I didn't know you could get these in yellow as a GTS action package. This is definitely the color to have though, really pretty.
Wow really? I would've thought that it would help significantly. IDK why it's not more common for these companies to make brackets to direct airflow for short rams. KN makes lots of these bracket setups but the one for the celica only fits the GT, and the one for the GTS is just a standard short ram with no bracket/heatshielding.

Maybe I should just stick with the Injen short ram. dry flow filter that doesn't require oiling, short ram design so it's not 3 inches off the ground at all times so no need to bother with the bypass valve... that or the K&N typhoon, which is almost the exact same thing appearance wise but with a KN oiled filter. Maybe I can find or make some sort of custom bracket/heatshield. Has anyone found anything that works well? Also any comments on whether that KN 57i works in the GTS or if its strictly for the GT? It seems to be the latter

In case you or anyone wants to see more of the car here is an album of my week flying down to TX to buy the car and driving it home. On the way home stopped at tail of the dragon for some twisties and got some great photos of the car there as well. so far since home I've removed the dealer decal on the rear bumper, different plates on the car (MA plates), replaced both hatch struts, and washed it a few times.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Injen makes some very bold claims with their power improvement with their cold air intake... 16hp increase, significant mid range bump in torque

theres no fucking way just a cold air intake does that big a difference...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unless you're in California or New York, there's literally no reason to get a brand name CAI. Just get an ebay one since they're the same exact thing. As for hydrolocking, I've been running my CAI for about 50,000 miles now. Been through several really nasty storms and never once got close to hydrolocking, even without the bypass filter. You REALLY have to be trying to hydrolock your engine, otherwise you must be insanely unlucky. The problem is probably more common among ridiculously lowered cars. I'm still running stock springs with a stripped interior so my Celica looks like a weird truck with it's ground clearance.

By the way, for CAIs you don't have to cut too much from the fender lining, I simply carved away a bit of the inner edge to accommodate the pipe. Start small and carve away slowly, that way you retain as much of the lining as possible. Just make sure to properly secure it, or else the lining will fall off and mangle your filter (I had to learn that the hard way, lol). And yeah, don't believe ANYBODY who tells you these intakes make significant power. They just don't, usually you lose low to mid-end torque with the most mild gain of top-end power. You'll be needing a decent I/H/E combo if you want to see a 16hp increase.

My current set-up includes an eBay CAI w/ K&N pod filter, a Pacesetter Catalytic Converter assembly, and a Magnaflow axleback muffler. I just bought a DC header and will be installing that soon so that my entire exhaust system will be upgraded. Keep in mind that extracting more power out of these engines N/A is less about the airflow, and more about reducing weight. The 2ZZ flows extremely well stock and any upgrades to airflow usually need to be comprehensive to get the most out of it. In fact, it's well known that basically all aftermarket headers for the 2ZZ LOSE power. If you want a gain, you're gonna have to either Port & Polish your stock headers, or shell out for the expensive PPE setup.

Going further, some headers will gain you power by itself, but end up losing power when combined with other mods. For example, the DC header by itself might net you a 5-10hp gain, but once you throw a CAI or muffler on it, the gain is lost. Hence, if you're doing anything airflow related, you need to really plan it out. Heck, I'm expecting a power loss once I install my DC header, but I only got it because it's literally the cheapest option for replacing the exhaust manifold. Although, most people only have the I/H/E combo and not the I/H/C/E combo, so we'll see how that ends up.

Your car really is a gem elite, I don't blame you for being so careful. I'm hoping it brings you many miles of joy!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a guy locally with a kn typhoon for sale. Needs a bit of TLC, currently the filter is drying after giving it a good bath with filter cleaner, need new hardware and hose clamps and then it's good to go on.
he also had a megan racing rear lower tire bar brace so I grabbed that as well, though I doubt it does anything. If anything it'll look nice and shiny

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great score ! Glad to see something like could be found in such good shape with such low miles! If you decide to sell let me
Know. Noticeable sound difference from the K&N at low RPMs before lift ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts