NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ebay intake and since I put it the CEL come on and start bogging. Right now I notice that when the CEL is on it has almost no bogging, just a little when the car is cold. but when I reset the ecu and the CEL turn off is has a lot of bogging specialy when is cold, and after a while driving it comes on.

I take out the intake and compared it with the stock air box and the piping is exactly the same size, so if is not the piping size what can cause the CEL and boggin?

maybe is coming too much air through the intake bacause when the car is stoped you can hear a loud noise of the air coming in through the intake. maybe changing the filter with a more restrictive one will work. What do you suggest? anyone have the same problem?

btw today I put the stock air box back and have no problems.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
The CEL and bogging are caused by the eBay CAI not having MAFS fins, throwing off MAFS readings. It starts off with bogging, since the engine runs too lean (bad MAFS readings). Eventually, it gets so bad that the ECU needs to intervene and throw a CEL (P0171) to protect the engine from damage. When this happens, the ECU goes into safe mode, making the car run richer than normal. That gets rid of the bogging, but also reduces power. When you reset the ECU, the car goes back to lean and bogging, then to the CEL again. The stock airbox has the proper tuning (MAFS fins), so it will never cause a CEL. You have two solutions:

1. Try my intake mod:
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127861
It will eliminate any intake related bogging or CELs.

2. Buy a TPR CAI. It's the only intake out there that has MAFS fins (based off my mod), so it too will never cause bogging or CELs.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
My Injen CAI doesn't have fins and I never had a CEL with my stock ecu. Did the ebay intake come with any installation instructions? How long did you run with the CEL on? Is that your only power mod?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no it didnt come with istruccions, Ive been using the car about 3 weeks with the CEL on, and yes its my only mod exept for exhaust.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Since it did not come with instructions, what did you do with your vacuum lines? Injen has specific instructions on how to route these and this plays a vital role in staving off the CEL.
If you do in fact have an exhaust, and perhaps a high-flowing one, you may be running leaner than the stock ecu can adequately compensate for (too much air in, too much out). But I doubt this.

I should still ask what the diameter of the pipe is on the ebay intake. Most I have seen are about 2.5 " so it should be ok.

hmmm....3 wks on the CEL. ok sometimes the car learns and the CEL goes away. But 3ks...is some time. How much driving do you do? How many cold starts did you do in that 3wk timespan?

I would recommend trying to apply the Injen vacuum routing to the ebay intake and then see what happens. Also make sure your MAF sensor is clean as it may been contaminated on install or from too much oil perhaps from the new filter.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by importcelica
sorry for the ignorance but what are the mafs fins?
Little bars that sit right before the MAFS in the stock airbox that channel air through the MAFS. No aftermarket intakes except TPR have this feature, which is why they all cause bogging and sometimes CELs on a good percentage of Celicas.
Originally posted by QTRMLR_1
Since it did not come with instructions, what did you do with your vacuum lines? Injen has specific instructions on how to route these and this plays a vital role in staving off the CEL.
That doesn't apply to any intake except Injen. Injen replaces the EVAP vacuum lines with red silicone hoses, since they make you move the EVAP VSV instead of mouting it on the top of the intake. Regular intake installs don't even touch those hoses, so there's no reason for them to be messed up. Besides, that wouldn't cause a lean CEL.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I drive every day about 1 hour to the university and 1 hour home, its a lot. the diameter of the intake its the same as the stock air box. right now I have the stock air box, tomorow I'll drive to the university, so Ill check if it turns on again with stock air box.

here is a pic of the intake:

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
importcelica said:
I drive every day about 1 hour to the university and 1 hour home, its a lot. the diameter of the intake its the same as the stock air box. right now I have the stock air box, tomorow I'll drive to the university, so Ill check if it turns on again with stock air box.

Do the intake mod, if the problem is not solved with that, then buy a injen or aem intake. :sadwave:

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by importcelica
Yup, that's installed right.

Originally posted by wisin
if the problem is not solved with that, then buy a injen or aem intake. :sadwave:
There's a good chance they'll cause bogging, too. Some peoples' cars seem more sensitive than others, so changing an intake will rarely solve the problem, especially if his car bogged enough to throw a CEL. If you just want the CEL and bogging to go away forever, and don't want to spend a lot, do my intake mod to that CAI. If you want the problems to go away, have a show quality intake, and gain a bit more power, go for TPR.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I don't have an opinion either way: but just for curiosity I would like to see a TPR intake without the fins, installed on a lot of cars. I would like to see what the results are. If you have already tried this, then good. If not, then it would be good to have to support your argument.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
EasyC tested out a "finless" TPR CAI on his car a while back, and it bogged just as bad as the Injen CAI he had for dyno testing (VERY bad). Then he had the fins welded in, and the car was fine again. :)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
ok. maybe the fins are a good thing. did he get a CEL at any time to go along with boggin' on either intake? I assume he let the stock ecu have enough time to adjust (several days in different driving conditions). The TPR with fins maye be better off the bat with little ecu adjustments to be made, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the ecu can't compensate for a lack of fins. But EasyC's test suggests that if he did give the ecu time to adjust to finless.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
I'm not sure how long he had it in, but it doesn't take EasyC's finless TPR CAI to prove the fins are needed. Look at everyone who has done my intake mod. They either had bogging or lean CELs caused by their intakes (CAI and SRI0, and as soon as they installed the mod, the problems were gone, and never came back. 100% success rate. All of these people had their old intakes in for quite some time, and cleaned their MAFS and reset their ECUs multiple times to try to get rid of their problems. Before doing my mod, the only thing that would cure the problems was reinstalling their stock airbox.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have done your intake mod when I had the weapon R piece of **** which has like a 3" pipe diameter. It got rid of the CEL and bogging and I believed it was more related to pipe diameter. Then I put on a short-ram intake with 2.5" piping with no fins and then got no CEL. No CEL. so my experiences have shaped my opinion thus far which is not set in stone at this point. I believe mafs placement plays a role as well.

My friend with a GT had no problems, no bogging and no CEL from the ebay intake, the same one in the pic.

But since that didn't work and he supposedly did everything right, he has no choice but to do the mod or get another intake you know which one he should get. :)

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
I have done your intake mod when I had the weapon R piece of **** which has like a 3" pipe diameter. It got rid of the CEL and bogging and I believed it was more related to pipe diameter. Then I put on a short-ram intake with 2.5" piping with no fins and then got no CEL. No CEL.
Well, no CEL doesn't mean the car is running right either. It can still bog without a CEL. It's only when the bogging gets so bad that it raises engine temps above normal that the ECU throws a lean CEL. 2.5" piping is important, though, and all intakes except I guess Weapon R (why did you even bother buying that :ugh: ) and PHR (OG CAI ;) ).
I believe mafs placement plays a role as well.
True, especially if you don't have MAFS fins (which is why Injen bogs more than AEM, etc.). But the TPR CAI has the MAFS after about 7" of straight piping, more than enough for laminar (straight) flow. That's the best of any intake out there, yet it still bogged without the fins.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
raises engine temps so much? so much that you see your temp indicator go up a little? or is the stock indicator not fast enough? I don't see the ect obd-ii code when I scan. you sure about that? I thought that the ect sensor can retard the ignition timing if the temp is too high, but I thought that it is the first 02 sensor that detects the lean air/fuel mixture at a certain threshold that throws the CEL.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
that's all good then, and I hope you guys get enough sales to afford that CARB sticker, since that's the reason I went with Injen and modified it to reduce bogging. And it is impossible for a cop to know the Injen is modified unless he has one for the Celica haha.
I have it worked out to hide my nitrous nozzle on the backside of the Injen and paint it black, along with wrapping the stainless steel lines in sliced vacuum hose, so the cop seeing the nitrous on a CARB intake is not a problem either. My bottle won't be able to be seen either in my gutted car. just guess. :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hey Blue Bomber I still have a cel after your mod but the bogging isn't there . The car runs great and idles just fine.Pulls great to at lift I just gave up on the cel and have been running with the cel for like 2 years now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
wouldnt the placement affect performance. I hear injen and AEM specifically placed the MAFS at certain locations to get the power you see. They just didnt think about the MAFS problem. But if you put back the stock locations, then it would just almost stock power with the cold air???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts