NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all these FI options on the verge of release, I've been looking for gauge pods for the Celica. Autometer makes a black 2 gauge pod that's only 1/3 of the pillar. Bottle sells a full replacement but it's only a 2 gauge, it needs to be painted and I hear it's about an inch or so too short. Beto also sells one but again, it's only 2 gauge and needs to be painted.

I want a 3 gauge pod, full pillar replacement that matches the stock interior. Evidently, no one makes one. There was talk on here from someone that was going to make one, but that went nowhere. It was going to be fiberglass anyway, so that meant having to get it painted.

Since there's nothing on the market, I talked to a couple places and I found a company that will make custom A-pillar gauge pods (for a fee, of course). The pod will be a full pillar replacement. 3 gauges (might be 2 1/16" or possibly 60mm, they have to see the stock pillar first). Made of black ABS plastic, painted to match the interior. I tried talking them into using the proper colored plastic so it wouldn't have to be painted but they wouldn't do it. I'm sure it's cost related.

The only thing that is not ideal on this pillar replacement is that you will have to attach the gauge pod to the pillar with 2 screws with screw covers, instead of the stock pop rivet things. They would not mold the mounting points on the back of the pillar plastic. Again, I think this is cost related.

They haven't quoted an price on the pillar yet (they need to see the stock pillar plastic) but they are estimating about $80 for the pillar.

Knowing all this, would anyone be interested in getting this 3 gauge pillar pod? Remember, it's ABS instead of fiberglass so it will fit much better, and it will already be the color of the interior so no additional painting costs are required.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are already three different 2 gauge pods available so I don't see the point of making another one.

If this project gets off the ground, I'll post pics of the prototype and then the final product.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Actually, Titan Motorsports' 2 gauge pillar isn't in production anymore, and I just bought the last one :gap:...so there's only Beto's 2 gauge pillar left...

If this 3 gauge pillar pod looks good, I'd get it...I'm seriously thinking of getting nitrous, so I would probably run fuel pressure, oil pressure, and nitrous pressure gauges in the pillar...

Usman

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One's definitely a boost gauge. The other two are either going to be oil pressure, oil temp or EGT.

·
Registered
480 Posts
oooh...gotcha. boost and egt were two i thought you'd get, but i didnt know about what else a person with a boosted celica would be looking at while driving. but oil temp and oil pressure seem right (now that i think about it). damn...makes me want to get gauges too (and a pod to stick them in but then i dont want them insinuating at what might be attached to the car)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The manufacturer just received my stock pillar. I should have a price quote in about a week. Then a mockup in about another 2 weeks.

·
Registered
560 Posts
interested also

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Should have pics of the prototype in about 3-4 weeks. Damn, this is a slow process.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
were you the one in the FS forum selling one of these? because it was only for a celica with no sunroof. if not, will it work for celi's with sunroof/nosunroof?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope, wasn't me selling gauge pods in the For Sale Forum.

I'm making the pillar pod based on a pillar out of a Celica with sunroof. Hope that's what you're looking for. I have no idea what it will look like in a Celica without a sunroof. I'll have to check once I get the prototype.

The prototype pod is supposed to be finished on 6/23. Once I approve it, it will be 4-6 weeks for production (lame IMO, but I can't speed them up). So earliest I will have actual product is end of July.

The price is probably going to be $80+shipping. It's expensive compared to what's available now. But remember, this is 3 gauge, made of ABS plastic, and it will already be painted (technically, it's a plastic stain, not paint) the color of the interior.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts