NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading this article on the influx of new "hot cars" and found this part interesting:

"GM may still sell more cars than any other automaker, but Toyota's market capitalization--the value of its stocks--is ordinarily about $80 billion to $100 billion more than its closest competitor. At press time, Toyota's market cap was $128 billion, compared with $26 billion at Ford and $24 billion at GM. We constantly hear talk on television about how the U.S. is the world's last superpower, but Toyota could buy this country's two biggest automakers--two of its biggest companies overall--without going to the bank."

Here is the link to the article itself:
http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/vehicles/2004/09/13/cx_dl_0913feat.html

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyWash1
Awesome. Detroit needs a wakeup call. Have they captured any youthful demographics?
stangs are getting driven by more n more younger people.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just seems to me that Ford and GM don't push the envelope enough. They come out with these flagship cars to draw interest, but draw interest to what?

Nothing they have currently is really all that exciting, IMHO. I am reminded of when I was looking for a car to buy. I test drove the Celica 6-sp GT-S (that I currently own) and instantly fell in love with the feel of the car. The lot I was at also had an 02 Mustang Cobra and while the engine was impressive, when I sat in it there was no thought to the interior. It didn't have the warmth or comfort that the celica had. Sitting in an RX-8 was awe inspiring as well.

To me a car has to have a "vibe" that flows through every part of it. My celica does that for me. A car with a massive engine only isn't going to sell me.

I think the next thing car companies should focus on are more impressive hybrids. Toyota's Volta is an example. A less powerful version of that and I think people would flock to it. Something in the price range of a celica or prius.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
futant said:
It just seems to me that Ford and GM don't push the envelope enough. They come out with these flagship cars to draw interest, but draw interest to what?

Nothing they have currently is really all that exciting, IMHO. I am reminded of when I was looking for a car to buy. I test drove the Celica 6-sp GT-S (that I currently own) and instantly fell in love with the feel of the car. The lot I was at also had an 02 Mustang Cobra and while the engine was impressive, when I sat in it there was no thought to the interior. It didn't have the warmth or comfort that the celica had. Sitting in an RX-8 was awe inspiring as well.

To me a car has to have a "vibe" that flows through every part of it. My celica does that for me. A car with a massive engine only isn't going to sell me.

I think the next thing car companies should focus on are more impressive hybrids. Toyota's Volta is an example. A less powerful version of that and I think people would flock to it. Something in the price range of a celica or prius.

Not to nitpick, but there was no 2002 Cobra. I agree, however, even after owning three Mustang GTs. Fun cars, but very one-dimensional. You get massive torque and hp, but the rest falls short. I look forward to what the 2005 will bring.

Jon

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nope, not yet. I haven't really been into Mustangs that much lately, so I haven't wandered over to a dealer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JohnnyWash1 said:
Not to nitpick, but there was no 2002 Cobra. I agree, however, even after owning three Mustang GTs. Fun cars, but very one-dimensional. You get massive torque and hp, but the rest falls short. I look forward to what the 2005 will bring.

Jon
Oops... I couldn't remember the year exactly so I just guessed an 02. I would like to see how the new ones look on the inside. I am still undecided on the new body style. Some angles it looks great, and others it looks terrible. I guess I will have to see it in person.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyWash1

Jon
The current Stang, I have a RealPlayer filew here it runs a low 14. Kinda pathetic seeing as its rated at more HP than the current one.

Anyone want the file, just give me your email or IM me on AOL.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
NoRulzAt140 Mph said:
The current Stang, I have a RealPlayer filew here it runs a low 14. Kinda pathetic seeing as its rated at more HP than the current one.

Anyone want the file, just give me your email or IM me on AOL.
I've seen it. But let's not judge on one video, ok? That would be like me spreading my pathetic 16.5 run in the GTS and saying the car is slow. As for only a 14, well I think the goal of the new car was to be better at everything, not just a drag racer.

Jon

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think the 05' GT will be a great car. All around better performer. I've seen that video too and I wouldn't trust it because it's a pre-production Mustang. There's not to many American cars that spark any interest in me. Imports seem to be about the driving experience. Just my $.02

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Adam_TRD
I think the 05' GT will be a great car. All around better performer. I've seen that video too and I wouldn't trust it because it's a pre-production Mustang. There's not to many American cars that spark any interest in me. Imports seem to be about the driving experience. Just my $.02
It IS supposed to be better overall period. Time will tell.

·
Registered
227 Posts
About 3 more weeks until we start seeing them on the streets. I'm definitely going to check them out. :thumbup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts