NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
I was surfin' around today and found this interesting article. This is in response the 2005 Celica topic that is on the forum here....it was just so long I didn't really want to contribute another .02 worth to it! Anyways, scroll to the bottom of the article and read those last few lines. They're the interesting ones I'm talking about. Hmmm.....

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/23337.htm

·
Registered
880 Posts
:bs: Atleast i hope so!!!!!!!!!!

Not calling bs on you aerospike2002, i am calling it on there assumption.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Discontinuing the Celica would be the biggest mistake Toyota ever makes. I mean, the car has been around forever and sells well, if it didn't, I wouldn't see so many on the roads.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It does not surprise me one bit. They could have done better, but they chose not to. I was hoping for a "R" model (something a step up from the GTS) but it never happened. Toyota has been out done by the competition. Look at all the people here trading up their Celicas.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I sort of doubt they will drop one of the longest running line ups in the Toyota line... But who knows... Maybe it will just be renamed like the Integra to the RSX or something...

·
Registered
197 Posts
It might have sold well in the past, but it's not selling well now, and it has been on a very steady decline since the 7th gen first appeared in late 99. Just because you see a bunch on the road doesn't mean anything. That is hardly a basis for sales statistics. I defy any of you to go to your local Celica dealership, and find a 2003 GT-S with a six speed. Good luck. The GT's are selling a little better, but not by much.

While the Celica means a lot to people here, it don't mean crapola to the bean counters at Toyota. There is no sentimental value, and if the car ain't selling, it will get dropped. They were saying the same thing about the Prelude, "Honda will never drop the Prelude, it's their technology showcase car!", well, we all know what happened there. I wouldn't be suprised in the least, if 2004 is the last we see of the Celica.

I blame Toyota for this too. Where is the advertising for this car, and where is the availability? I was forced into buying an RSX Type S (which I've been extremely happy with), because there were no GT-S six speeds to be found in this area, and the few that have showed up, were completely stripped of options.

·
Registered
333 Posts
DGS.

i think thats a little bit different. In Honda's case, they have the S2000 in the showroom to showcase their technology and thats a car that will bring people into the dealership. Another point is, there is no point(from honda's viewpoint) of having RSX and Prelude. That will cannibalize sales because they are too similar.

In Toyota's case, the closest thing that brings any excitement is the Matrix. And that car has 5 doors so I don't see the excitement in that. Even if the sales on the Celica are poor, they will continue to produce it. Toyota's already concerned about the image of their company being old or whatever. The celica brings new buyers into the Toyota family and its 10 times harder to get a new customer than to keep one. So i think they'll keep it

but maybe i'm just biased and want the celica to stay.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
so back to speculation based soley on this article.

Return of the GT-4 platform with a Corolla hatch?

So does Celica have a future? Though a redesign is said to be on for 2005, we think Celica could be dropped after '04 unless sales pick up pronto. Interestingly, a sporty 2-dr with all-wheel drive, big wheels, and aggressive styling is also said to be on Toyota's 2005 menu under the working title of Matrix Rally. The template is the recent Rally Sport Concept (RSC), a hatchback based on the new Corolla/Matrix platform. Part sports coupe, part small SUV, it looks to us like a dandy replacement for the Celica as we've known it. And virtually certain if Toyota shows a further variation of the theme anytime soon.

·
Registered
450 Posts
This was in the January issue of Car magazine in the "we hear" section:

"... a new Celica is being readied for October 2004. Again, a front driver, the styling will be much less controversial and far less influenced by Toyota's American design studio."

I guess Toyota still doesn't realize that the current, and future, young consumer is more focused on AWD turbo and RWD cars.

Also on the "The good, the bad, the ugly" section of the same mag:

"Slashed-about styling grows on you, but also looks like it will date quickly in this bulbous automotive age."

I think that comment is rather true.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Ok after reading that article again, and doing some searching ... I think the only thing they are referring to being AWD is this freakin thing

http://www.edmunds.com/news/conceptcarspotlight/articles/46848/article.html

I think they just mixed up the acronym. RSC = rugged sports concept . .... not rally sports concept.

Interestingly, a sporty 2-dr with all-wheel drive, big wheels, and aggressive styling is also said to be on Toyota's 2005 menu under the working title of Matrix Rally. The template is the recent Rally Sport Concept (RSC), a hatchback based on the new Corolla/Matrix platform. Part sports coupe, part small SUV, it looks to us like a dandy replacement for the Celica as we've known it. And virtually certain if Toyota shows a further variation of the theme anytime soon.
It all adds up. Look at the "big wheels" part and the 2 door , and "agressive styling"...

well there it is, that's what they are talking about . not the celica.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i hope they discontinue the celica.. it'll make our cars even more rare and unique.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I was at a Toyota dealership yesterday having a chat with the GM. He was a car enthusiast and we were talking about just about everything out there. He said he had just bought a G35 Coupe and most of the guys that work for him own cars other then Toyotas. Why? There is no Toyota sports car. He said he has argued endlessly with Toyota HQ to PLEASE bring out some performance cars like the 2nd Gen MR2, GT4, and Supra. They just qoute gas milage and Camry sales.

The Celica started strong because Toyota but some advertising money behind it, and it was at the top of or near top of its class. But then Toyota just ignored it. I guess they counted on the looks. The numbers decline to the point where its not profitable.

That's almost exactly what happened to the Fiero from GM. The difference being GM actually upgraded the car over its life turning it from a commuter car in 1984 to a true sports car in 1988. But they didn't advertise it and the sales just died off. The only difference here is that Toyota hasn't bothered to do anything to upgrade the Celica.

In 1999/2000, 180hp was a great start. But it was just a start. People wanted Type-R performance. Had Toyota come out with a type R model with say 220hp, and kept the price reasonable (not something Toyota is good at), actually advertised it, they would have really kicked some butt. But instead they simply sat on there asses. The Type-R vanished in 2001 and with the death of the DSM there was a HUGE opportunity that Subaru walked into. No Type-R. The RS-X disapointed. Celica hasn't changed. Wait, what's this WRX? A AWD Turbocharged rocket! And it's the same price as the others! Hell yeah!

Now people know that they can get inexpensive performance, anythign short of WRX or SRT-4 levels just aren't going to attract. Hell, aside from the Camry, every other mid-sized car has 240 to 260HP! WAKE UP TOYOTA! People want power and they want performance.

You know, if they brought out a true 3rd Generation MR2 (I don't count the MR-S) I would be down there sign papers so fast that the ink would burn. But instead, what do I get? A fat wagon with an engine .4 liters to small or a 4 seat sports compact coupe that can handle like it's on rails and get beaten by most mid-size family cars. At least it looked fast.

I am sick of Toyota's inability to adapt to the market. They are almost always 2 or 3 years behind everyone else. It's always "wait till the next model" instead of "we have it now and we make it better then anyone else."

Sorry for the long tirade...I am just ticked that Toyota seems so blind. Not to mention a salesman tried to convince me that I wanted a Camry as a performance car. Celica's are very nice for what they are. It's a shame that Toyota hasn't bothered to improve their performance with a Type-R equivilent though. Personally, if they make a next gen Celica, I think it will be just like the last gen: A secretaries looks good, goes slow commuter.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
some of you guys are ridiculous. 220hp in a Celica would have it running like low 14s out of the box, and require a very tuned 2.0l motor that isn't appropriate for a mass production semi-economy car.

also, i've heard that this "Matrix Rally" concept is just a Matrix XRS with AWD (2ZZ-GE, 6-speed, AWD)....i think that's a mistake as the AWD would kill the engine, but maybe it will be the supercharged 1ZZ-FE with the 5-speed and AWD? either way, Toyota has been rallying the Corolla, not the Celica anymore, and the Matrix is a corolla. the JDM corollas already offer AWD with 1ZZ or 3SGTE (Caldina....not quite a Corolla, looks close tho) or 2ZZ with FWD.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts