·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderatior: I ask you to sticky this

http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/SpecialAlert/2003/SA1703.html

9/6/2004 - Recieved First E-mail

Hello
I saw you advert consings your Eclipse AV8533 , So i have intrest in it . So i want you to express is present condition for me also i can see that yourEclipse AV8533
is in good condition so i will pay you $1500 for it . Also what is the trem of payment.And the shipping will take care by me cos i have a reputable sipping company that will do that for me asap.
I will be looking forward to raed from you soon
--

Get your personalized, spam free
E-mail address for only $ 0.99 a month.
http://www.domainhosting.ws (email2me partner)

Email2me is probably the best email in the world.
It is FREE to sign up go to: http://www.email2me.com Powered by Outblaze

6/09/2004 - My Reply

Dear Godwin,

1500$ and you pay for shipping and it's a deal. the conditon is perfect. When i first bought the unnit, the open button had a smudge on it, so i took it back to where i bought it from, and they swapped it out with a new one from a box. 4 weeks later i took it out, so the unit it'self is in prime conditon. liek i posted the only mark on anything is on the brain of the unit. it has a small knick from where i hit it with a screw driver when drilling it down into the floor of my car. but the brain is hidden so no one will ever see. it.
Payment - i have a paypal account , and would prefer to do it that way, if u need another way to do it let me me know but that is what i'd prefer. Since the cost of the item, i'd say that you give me 1/2 .. and when u recieve it, you can give me the other half. What is your locatiion anyways?!?.

Let me know
-paul

Reply Back From the GODWIN!

Hello Paul

Okay thanks for your response consigns this trasertion , So i will like to inform you that you will received a certified casher faces of $5,000 ,So as soon as you received the payment you will need to transfer the excess of the funds to my shipers through western union money transfer so the they can come for the pick up in your location ASAP. So be experting the Check any moment of now so as soon as you received it please do transfer the exess of the funds to them minus the western union chagers. So i will forward the shipper"s information for the transfering of the excess funds to as soon as possible....................

Looking forward to received your futures emails

Godwin

I was talking to this person and it seems that his english is very bad. So then i told my father about him and he said that it was a scam and i read up on it. read what he wrote to me and you will see its the EXACT copy of what they do. I am wanting to give everyone a heads up on this so it is known.

I have contacted the FBI to report him.

Not to name, name's but i recived this email after posting on vwvortex.com, i know they are not affialated but maybe they are being watched.

·
Registered
435 Posts
yeah, i've seen this before from someone on this board who was selling their motorcycle.

wire transfering extra funds definitely sounds like a bad idea, especially when the cashier check doesnt clear.

then he has your stuff and some of your money.

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeah, i think i saw a scam like this before but it was concerning a laptop......i forgot what forum i saw it on, but definately a bad idea.....

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
It is a scam
The Cashier checks bank has to treat it like cash deposit by actually reflect deposited amount in your bank account right away, but when they try to get the funds and it comes up bad they will automatically take back the funds from your account without warning. By then you already sent scammer a refund money and the product which screws you over twice.
FBI can not really do anything about it since they are out of the country (typically from Africa areas), but if you notify the authority of the country where the guy ask you to send the check they may (if your lucky... like hit the jackpot lotto lucky) they will do something about it. Just keep in mind "if it is too good to be true forget about it".
I think it was Chiznarles that was playing around with a buyer with same situation but with a bike he was selling.
There was this Powerbook one where the guy screwed the scammer... Basically he noticed the scammers tactic pretty soon but played dumb, sent some binders with "apple powerbook" written on the side" and claim the product worth at $2,000 so the guy has to pay the taxes for something that is worth $2000 (I believe it was like 30% or something). There were some powerbook users that was in England which located the guy witness the scammer go to get his product paid the taxes to get the $600 binders :chuckles:

·
Registered
880 Posts
I saw a special about this on 20/20 or something. This lady lost so much money from someone from accross the globe somewhere in Africa. He did the exact same thing. The best payment method is paypal since its insured. When purchasing or buying something that expensive over the internet you always need to take the time to be a bit more careful. Especially when its an international transaction.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I recieved an email very similar concerning my civic Si I am selling, but had seen the story of this scam posted at the site I had my ad on, luckily. I forwarded it to the FBI, as you did.

Anytime anyone you never heard of wants to send you a lot of money up front ought to set of alarm bells - good heads up...

·
Registered
759 Posts
this EXACT scam happend to a kid in one of my college classes, he got screwed for like 5 grand! the dood that scammed him was nigerian, watch these guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts