NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
@celicatoast
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got pulled over by a masshole state trooper on the highway on my way to work. He claimed my exhaust was "illegal" gave me a $50 citation and a warning for not having a front plate. Has anyone had this issue with this exhaust before? I thought the only exhaust for our cars that was illegal was kazuma.

·
2,644 Posts
most axle back exhausts aren't legal with the 95 db sound limit i believe, i think the only one that is are the trd, and maybe magnaflow?
at least he didn't give you a fix it, you can just pay the fine and be on your way
but yeah i dont think the invidia is within legal limits, maybe with the silencer it is

·
Registered
149 Posts
I havent had any problems with mine but from inside the car at 3/4 throttle as per my states law mine read 101 db. It's supposed to be done from 20" away from the tip. It's definately too loud.

·
@celicatoast
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so now i'm really pissed. So i get a letter from the RMV saying now have 3 surcharagble events on my record because of that stupid citation for my exhaust. I am now required by "law" to take a drivers retraining course. Like really? for having a fucking exhaust? I want to fight it in court but don't really know if I have a chance. Any suggestions guys?

·
2,644 Posts
Ok so now i'm really pissed. So i get a letter from the RMV saying now have 3 surcharagble events on my record because of that stupid citation for my exhaust. I am now required by "law" to take a drivers retraining course. Like really? for having a fucking exhaust? I want to fight it in court but don't really know if I have a chance. Any suggestions guys?
ok here's what you do ( what i am also doing for my exhaust ticket)
IF the police officer did not check your exhaust noise level with a DB reader, you're in luck, you'll probably go to court say "the officer did not read whether or not the exhaust exceeded the noise limit, therefore i should not have to pay the ticket, nor the surchargable events, as they are void"

if the officer did check the noise level which im assuming he didn't as you didn't mention it, just go to court, plead guilty, and they always drop your fine down a few bucks

·
@celicatoast
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
k here's what you do ( what i am also doing for my exhaust ticket)
IF the police officer did not check your exhaust noise level with a DB reader, you're in luck, you'll probably go to court say "the officer did not read whether or not the exhaust exceeded the noise limit, therefore i should not have to pay the ticket, nor the surchargable events, as they are void"

if the officer did check the noise level which im assuming he didn't as you didn't mention it, just go to court, plead guilty, and they always drop your fine down a few bucks

·
@celicatoast
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found this on another forum, the person is also from MA,

Chapter 90:Section 16
"Section 16. No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated, in or over any way, public or private, whether laid out under authority of law or otherwise, which motor vehicles are prohibited from using, provided notice of such prohibition is conspicuously posted at the entrance to such way. No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated upon any way, except fire department and fire patrol apparatus, unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive or unnecessary noise, which muffler is in good working order and in constant operation, and complies with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust. No person operating a motor vehicle shall sound a bell, horn or other device, nor in any manner operate such motor vehicle so as to make a harsh, objectionable or unreasonable noise, nor permit to escape from such vehicle smoke or pollutants in such amounts or at such levels as may violate motor vehicle air pollution control regulations adopted under the provisions of chapter one hundred and eleven. No siren shall be mounted upon any motor vehicle except fire apparatus, ambulances, vehicles used in official line of duty by any member of the police or fire fighting forces of the commonwealth or any agency or political subdivision thereof, and vehicles owned by call fire fighters or by persons with police powers and operated in official line of duty, unless authorized by the registrar. No person shall use on or in connection with any motor vehicle a spot light, so called, the rays from which shine more than two feet above the road at a distance of thirty feet from the vehicle, except that such a spot light may be used for the purpose of reading signs, and as an auxiliary light in cases of necessity when the other lights required by law fail to operate.

(5) Muffler and Exhaust System. Accelerate motor to test for prevention of unnecessary noise and emission of any unreasonable amount of smoke. The exhaust system, exhaust manifold(s), exhaust pipe(s), muffler(s), and tailpipe(s), if designed to be so equipped, shall be tight and free of leaks. System components shall be securely fastened with fasteners in place and undamaged. All motor vehicle exhaust systems shall discharge the exhaust beyond operator, passenger, and/or trunk compartment. Unnecessary noise is herein defined as any noise which is louder than that emitted by the vehicle when equipped with the original manufacturer's equipment. A gas or diesel vehicle will be rejected if, at normal operating temperature, at any constant speed over 15 MPH, (approximately 1,000 to 1,200 RPM's) visible black or blue exhaust emissions are evident."

I don't see a db number here :/

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
By that, our high beams are illegal as well.

the rays from which shine more than two feet above the road at a distance of thirty feet from the vehicle

·
@celicatoast
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So this is my plan, im gonna go to the rmv and have a walk in hearing. Im basically going to state that it is not right for me to have to take a drivers retraining course just because I have an "illegal" part on my car. Its not like i was driving reckless or anything. The most fucked up thing too is, i asked to cop if this would count as a surchargable event, and he said no, now im getting a letter from the rmv like wtf?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts