NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i made a mount for the ipad mini. Instead of buying soundman $200 mount i ended up making one by myself from scratch.
custom mounts were made to move the stereo lower and cut the cd pocket.
Mini is connected:
stereo: music and videos
obd2: to run dash command
Tethering: Navi

Plan on redoing the suede this week. Why suede to match headliner pillars and other little suede aesthetics in the car

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work but the suede doesn't match and there's a gap at the bottom of radio.
Yeah gonna move the mounts lower but theirs these ridges that are in the dash that dont let it go that low. So gotta figure something out as for the suede having second ideas of going a different route.

·
Turbo 2zz
4,674 Posts
i definitely would have spend more time on the molding and made all of the edges smooth into the factory piece. that looks a bit sloppy but has the potential to be really nice if there was some more time spent on attention to detail

·
Registered
164 Posts
I agree, this has a lot of potential. However, like others have said, it needs a bit more attention. I can't tell, but some of the pictures make it look like its not completely centered. And make sure the edges and everything line up, just to make it look smooth and that it flows. I would also recommend thinking about wrapping the whole thing in vinyl or something like that, the suede looks kind of out of place.

·
Registered
244 Posts
hey I have the same app and headunit. I have also thought about doing the same thing with my mini ipad but I dont have the creative skills to do the work. Does your headunit always revert to bluetooth when you first turn on the radio? [i play my music from usb, so it's set to usb however when i first turn on the radio it will go to USB for 2 secs, flip to bluetooth, and then i have to press input for usb] Happens everytime i turn on the car and it's very annoying.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So i redid the ipad dash mount and made it look alot cleaner since i wasnt happy with it.
Its mostly done but a bit to go from sanding down some of the little rough edges and such.
Gave the mini a deeper look so would help with the glare coming from above and the sides. The middle will be suede.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey I have the same app and headunit. I have also thought about doing the same thing with my mini ipad but I dont have the creative skills to do the work. Does your headunit always revert to bluetooth when you first turn on the radio? [i play my music from usb, so it's set to usb however when i first turn on the radio it will go to USB for 2 secs, flip to bluetooth, and then i have to press input for usb] Happens everytime i turn on the car and it's very annoying.
Haha man i didnt have creative skills either but was just learning as i went. Its a fun project as much as a pain in the ass since i never used fiberglass or bondo before. ITs connected by usb i have and turns on as soon as turn on the car and plays what ever was previously playing

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I might just do this. I just picked up my free Ipad from school. Illinois tech got a grant for keeping students up to date with technology and now they give out Ipads. Pretty sweet. I am just glad its not coming from tuition. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did this also, but fucked up. I had it in my car for almost 1,5 year unpainted because I never got around to finish it.

The back part of the ipad holder was not flat and I was not happy about the result haha.

And don't need to really be a magician to make this work. Patience is the key as solid glasfibre is a pain to sand down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts