NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've on a somewhat limited budget, and I was wondering if in your opinion a kit is worth the money it takes up, or should I get intake/exhaust/suspension upgrades? Of course there is a difference in whether you want looks or power, but I'm 50/50 either way.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Dude, this is a difficult thing for other members to decide on. It is really your preference because it is your car, and your money. If you are happy with the way the Celica looks, then leave it. Look at members photos, and if you want a certian part of your car to look like theirs, then PM them and get the name of the manufacturer or part. More importantly, other members do not know your situation (financial, obligations, etc.) so we can't tell you what you should do. You say you are on a limited budget, so you are probably going to want to leave the body alone, as this can get expensive. But one mans limited budget might not be anothers. Suspension work is also going to be expensive. Spend a lot of time researching stuff you want and prices. And ask a lot of questions here so you can get help with whatever way you decide to go. :thumbup:

·
Registered
165 Posts
well put POISONLOTUS, its your money and your car, my personal opinion is tint the windows and drop every last penny into the engine bay, where as someone else might think that droppin all there money on rims and a kit is a good idea. its all on the supplier of the money and what you want your car to do, go fast or look good. but w/e you choose to do make sure you are happy w/ the decision becuz you want it not me or POISONLOTUS or anyone else on here. good luck keep us posted and take lots of pics
peace

·
Registered
767 Posts
this is my quote " can't look fast until you are fast" just my .02 cents

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Best thing for prefromance and looks at the same time is lowering it. If your on a budget get some springs and install them yourself, shops charge too much money. You can buy intake/exhaust/suspension upgrades and save yourself money by installing them yourself. There are lots of install articles here. Plus you will get to know you car alot better. POISONLOTUS is right about body stuff getting expensive..esp. a body kit. (Pay for the kit itself, paint, getting it painted, then hopeing it will stay nice after you drive it a couple thousand miles)Depending if you drive your car everywhere everyday you should invest in getting a polyurathan (sorry cant spell it) kit. Fiberglass tend to crack somethimes. Some drastic like a Body kit isnt the only thing you can do for your car for appearence. You can invest in little things like, hoodscoop, roof spoiler, lighting. (whatever floats your boat). These are just a few suggestions..but if your really 50/50. Lowering and intake is a good and cost effective start. Youll get looks and power.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone. Poison and icy, I know it is up to me when I make the decision, I was just wondering what everyone else personally thought. I was asking your opinion. The reason I thought I might lean toward looks is because honestly I know nothing about installing anything. I couldn't tell you much of what anything is under the hood :). On the other hand, if I could install performance parts, I would definitely want to spend the money to make the car more powerful and fun to drive. I just wanted to see what everyone else thought in their own opinion.

·
Registered
640 Posts
i never really liked the front of the celica stock. So with the limited budget I would buy a front lip. Maybe just the Wings west one and just paint the side skirts, Then all out performance from there. Its a whole lot cheaper then getting a whole kit but it will still stand out from the rest. Especially if you lower as well. That should be cheaper then a whole kit, and get both looks and performance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Getting a kit?

Well, it depends who you know. I got my invader set for $220.
I'm still contemplating where I could get quality paintjob.
But honestly, you don't really need to get a kit; celicas look sexy enough as it is. :))

·
The Original 1zz Fanboy
3,774 Posts
Originally posted by Ugly Pete
if you really want to try to impress people, then get the kit.

personally id much rather spend money on something that I will enjoy, rather than something that you think other people enjoy. suspension upgrades > trying to impress people.
I must agree. I'm in the thinking that all that should be done for looks is wheels and drop. After that focus on making the car more fun to drive. That's just my opinion though.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'd get a kit..but if you dont have wheels and a drop, it will look out of place on the stocker wheels and suspension

Remember as well, don't get a POS kit, you will pay up the ass getting it to fit, etc...more quality kits cost more money

·
Registered
27,517 Posts
Ugly Pete said:

personally id much rather spend money on something that I will enjoy, rather than something that you think other people enjoy. suspension upgrades > trying to impress people.
Actually that's subjective. Call me superficial, but I modify my car appearance wise because I like to look at my car. I could give a crap if someone else hated it. As long as I'm still drooling over it, I won't be selling it anytime in the near future. :)

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Originally posted by evil eye
Actually that's subjective. Call me superficial, but I modify my car appearance wise because I like to look at my car. I could give a crap if someone else hated it. As long as I'm still drooling over it, I won't be selling it anytime in the near future. :)
oh i know... im sure if i had a ton of money to waste, id go with a subtle lip kit like the wings west, but that would be after i dropped cash making the car more fun to drive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ugly Pete said:

Yeap..! He's right. If you want to attract attention, then go for the kit. But try to make your ride comfortable first.

Also, keep in mind about the haters out there. My friend fixed up his Civic and haters throw sodas at it, spit at it, and key it. Tsk tsk tsk...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts