NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a camcon and i want an air/fuel gague to tune the apparatus for my specific motor. i was reading up about them and was trying to decide wether it was necessay to have a wideband, or if i could get away with a narrowband. I think i can get away with a narrow band becasue i wont have the apparatus on all the time which means that the tune does not have to be 100% correct and the cost is way lower than a wideband. I'm just looking for a couple of opinions.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
N/A? If so, it doesn't really much matter...

However, in general, no, a narrow band doesn't provide anywhere near the resolution or accuracy you need for tuning.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My Camcon was tuned on a dyno for max power throughout the rpm range. I have the stock narrow band O2 sensor. After tuning some test runs at set speeds were made to make sure mixture was within range without popping a CEL under normal highway driving speeds at partial throttle.

My dynos are posted in the dyno database and my Camcon settings are in the sticky in the tuning thread. Settings are for a GT stock-block, normally aspirated with what's listed in my sig.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i know the narrowbnads are not that effective in tuning but for my purposes, since the camcon will not be on all the time, only when i horse around (which isn't that often) will it be effective enough? I really would rather not spend $250 on a wideband. I could pick up a narrowband for around 35-50 bucks depending on the make, which is way more appealing and seems to me, to be the more sensible approach for the purposes that i want to use it for. Blue Bomber you seem to feel that a narrowband almost useless, and i completely see where you are commig from, its just that i dont think i need that serious of a tune. Now you have been doing this for obviously a way longer time than i have and jiltman as well,and have copius amounts of knowledge on the subject so im going to take your advice.

I want an answer one more time based upon these facts:
1. supporting mods: injen cai w/ filter condom, tenrai exhaust
2. camcon will be off unless i am horsing around which is once in a blue moon
3. getting a narowband inatead of a wideband will save me around $200

Thanks for all the help again!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks RWE HMYT! i think i am going to use this as a base tune and then when i either get a narrow or wideband a/f gauge take your settings and tweak them for my motor!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Keep in mind that tuning based solely on a a/f gauge may not give you max power and torque. The dyno will tell the truth. I have yet to see a "street tune" get as much out of any system compared to tuning on a dyno. With a dyno you know the exact effect each adjustment makes at a given rpm and aren't just going by what it "feels like" when you punch it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.