NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum lately and I've noticed a lot of people saying that the 2zz has a bunch of problems. Well, my first 00 GT-S that I had, I put 65k miles on it before I sold it for my MR2 and it had no problems whatsoever. Anyway, I was wondering, if I want my car to last for the long haul, would I need to invest in an oil cooler? I don't take it to the track or autox AND I only rag on it maybe once or twice a week. So would an oil cooler be necessary?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
:moved:

Nah, you shouldn't need an oil cooler if it's just a daily driver. If you're racing and keeping the car in lift for prolonged periods of time, an oil cooler will definitely help keep oil temps closer to normal, but otherwise it won't help much at all. BTW, the only real 2ZZ-specific problem is the lift bolts breaking. That, and people misshifting its tranny. :chuckles:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
:moved:

Nah, you shouldn't need an oil cooler if it's just a daily driver. If you're racing and keeping the car in lift for prolonged periods of time, an oil cooler will definitely help keep oil temps closer to normal, but otherwise it won't help much at all. BTW, the only real 2ZZ-specific problem is the lift bolts breaking. That, and people misshifting its tranny. :chuckles:
Do you know the part # for the lift bolts? Approximately after how many km/miles do you need to change them

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
The guys at Lotus apparently found the oil cooler to be a needed part of the 2ZZ setup... they equipped the Elise with two of them!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
S|Lv3rBu||et said:
The guys at Lotus apparently found the oil cooler to be a needed part of the 2ZZ setup... they equipped the Elise with two of them!
As Chris mentioned, this was to help out when the car is kept in lift for prolonged periods of time...

·
Registered
439 Posts
larryd said:
What are the options for oil coolers and about how much?
Yeh, that's something I would like to know too. Wheather an NA engine needs it or not, I'm planning on making one for my car to get it ready for a turbo.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
You can make one for under 100 dollars if you get junkyard parts and whatnot. It should cool well. You can ge all brand new parts and spend up to 300-400 dollars as well.
So far I have seen the following coolers:
RX-7
TRD oil water exchanger
Setrab
Mocal
Perma-cool
Cool-tek
B&M

All those are pretty simple to do. Look up Raymund;s old post, or look in the installs section of the site. Voidhawk has an excellent install for his cooler. It is pretty simple to set up the cooler.

I found most of my parts for the cooler at www.racerpartswholesale.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts