NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search for 'MAF' and 'warranty' already but I didn't get concrete answers as to whether a broken MAF is under my regular 60 k mi. warranty. I DID NOT purchase extended warranty.

Here's the story:

I got a CEL a few months ago. I realized two weeks ago when i opened the airbox to check for loose hoses that the TRD air filter that i put in back in 2000 has never been replaced with a new stock one. I checked my maintenance records and for my 15,000 and 30,000 mile check-ups, the records state that i was charged for new air filters each time. Turns out it's dealer policy not to touch TRD items. Why did they charge me for new filters then? Their answer was it was human error. But still, doesn't make sense that it happened twice if they knew the procedure for not charging TRD items.

Anyways, I asked for 2 brand new filters and installed the new one hoping to get rid of the CEL. Didn't work and went back to the dealer. Guy at dealer tells me the MAF is broken. I tell him maybe it's cuz the dealer failed to give me a new filter for the last 42,000 miles. Guy keeps insisting that one of the reasons that the MAF is broken is b/c "some young people" like to remove the air filter completely for more air and hence, more HP. I'm dumbfounded that anyone can be that stupid. I'm insulted that he's implying that I'm that stupid. I explained the whole air filter situation but he says that's got nothing to do with it. That's fine, b/c i don't know if that's true or not.

So a new MAF is $340, and naturally, the technician suggests: a throttle body service ($150) and a motorvac fuel system service ($90). I can live with buying a new MAF (if it's not covered under my 60k mi warranty), but are the last two really necessary? I know how to remove and install a MAF, so would it be much cheaper to do it myself? Or would it just make it worse if i did it myself?

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
A new MAF is not $340, I got one from David D. for about $110 or so. Changing the MAF is easy, you should do it yourself. The other 2 items are a kick in the groin after they raped you in the azz.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Y'know, I'm getting really sick of my car...Now, I know a lot of ppl have had it much worse than me, so I don't want to compare stories. HOWEVER, it's true that I never had to visit the dealer this many times for this many problems with my 1991 Camry DX. Now, that little 4 cyl sedan was probably the most reliable piece of machine on the road. 180 k without a single hitch until it started leaking transmission oil.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE the car. Given $25 k to spend and I'll STILL buy the Celica without hesitation...IF ONLY it didn't have so many problems. Sigh...sometimes I just want to kick it. You know what though? I suspect that dealers making car ownership 10 times worse than the car really is. For example, replacing the belt tensioner should have been a quickie, but it took me hours of arguing, bitching, and waiting AND 5 frickin' trips to the dealer to get the damn thing fixed. And they even raped me the first time when they tried to 'fix' it b/c they blamed the rattling on my aftermarket stereo. Bastards.

I'm done. As soon as I have enough money to buy another car, the Celica is gone.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
i think this would help other people out more in the repair forum

back to the topic, did you drive your Camry like you drive your Celica? :)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Sound like you had a bad dealer, and they're out to rip you off. Mine even drove me back to work and picked me up after I drop off the car fo the belt tensioner.

I never worked on cars before my Celica, and was able to pretty much did most of the mods on my car by myself. It's not hard, just need some enthusiasm and just be brave. It's a lot easier than you think.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
t2000gts said:
i think this would help other people out more in the repair forum

back to the topic, did you drive your Camry like you drive your Celica? :)
Haha, sorry...i should've known better. I had just gotten back from the dealer and needed to vent, quick.

Wait, so is the MAF under warranty or not? The guy told me it is IF i had gotten the extended warranty, but i didn't, so it's not covered under my regular warranty.

Oh, I thrashed my Camry pretty good. Nothing like racing it or anything, cuz frankly, it didn't have the power to race at all. But I used to forget to get oil changes or drive it for a long time (i never drive my celica for more than 2 hours at a time, and even over 1 hr is a rarity). No problems at all. That thing was rock solid. My mom's got a RX300 and it's had a bunch of minor eletrical problems and audio system problems. Now random lights go off but it's way too expensive to get it fixed, and my mom doesn't want to go to any bodyshop b/c any damage they may cause they'll blame it on you. At least Lexus dealers have great service. They're just expensive. Seems like Toyota's quality is going down a bit.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It's like others have said...you have good and bad dealers. When you get a bad one (or two in my case), then finding a good one is like heaven. I had the MAF problem due to my RMM intake causing dirt to build up on the original MAF. My MAF eventually died and I bought a new one for around $110.00 and asked the dealer about installation (the good dealer). He said if I'd every replaced a light bulb in my life I should have no problem with the install of the MAF myself. That's a good dealer. He gave it to me straight like we all would want to be treated. There are many thing I can't do on my car and I'll pay to have them done, but when a sensor goes out I can hadle that. You had a bad experience and it sours you for a while. Find a good dealer. I knew I found a good one when he said "I don't give a crap if you have the most modded Celica in the city...I'll still work on your car because mine IS the most modded Celica". Once he said that I knew I had a good dealer. It does suck that some of them rape you and take advantage of you, but when times get tough those dealers will pay the price for souring their customers.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lomeinhu said:

So a new MAF is $340, and naturally, the technician suggests: a throttle body service ($150) and a motorvac fuel system service ($90). I can live with buying a new MAF (if it's not covered under my 60k mi warranty), but are the last two really necessary?
Sooo....to quote myself: do I need the throttle boddy service and Motorvac fuel system service? And get this: they also "recommend" I "drain and fill trans type T fluid" for $90 and do a "P/S fluid flush" for $90. Man, the things that they tack on as "recommended." And they always say it as if your car will break if you don't do it.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
Power Steering Flush? WTF? Next thing they tell you is you need halogen fluid for your light bulbs and a 2nd transmission to go reverse.

Save your money, just change the MAF and forget everything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts