NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i was real freeked out and gettin stressed about my celica. i put 17inch wheels on it and lower the car 2 inchs with gold line spirng and evey since then my steering wheel wont stop shakin. so i bought new rims . and still did the same thign the tires are like brand new. so i got hubcentering rings and got them blanced. still the shake.??? so i got fed up and broght it to toyota and told them to check every thing from the blance to the axles and the said every thing is perfect.and i got on the high way to go home and once i hit 70 the shake started again . is there any way to stop the shake for real make me want to hate this car.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
did you get an alignment AFTER you put your new wheels and springs? you have to get an alignment ***EVERY*** time you change something on ur suspension.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine also shakes over 70 with my 17s on, but I put the factory 15s on for winter and it stopped. My conclusion is that it has gotta be the wheels, either the wheels need re-balanced or it could be a bent rim.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Find a shop around you that has one of these. I had the same problem. I did the balancing 4 times at 3 different shops. I did a wheel alignment and still it vibrated. I then asked someone and they said to use a shop that has a Hunter Balancing machine. Check out the website and find one. If that doesn't fix your problem then put the stock tires back on and see if it still happens. If it doesn't then you know it's something other then the balancing.

http://www.hunter.com/pub/product/product.htm

Once at the website go to the GSP 9700 Vibration Control System section. From there you can find what you need.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I agree with smokey668_99, you need a better tire shop.

Go and get the tires balanced, and have the shop tell you what the road force variance is for each wheel.

If they can't tell you that, then you need to find a better shop.

Another thought...

Have you done any brake work on your car (painted calipers, etc) that has involved removing or replacing a rotor? I had a car once that had a similar shake and no matter how many times I got the tires balanced it never went away.

Anyhow, it was due for a brake job and I replaced the rotors, suddenly the vibration was gon. Turns out the vibration was due to an out of balance rotor (there is no way the dealership checked your rotors for proper balance).

Scott

·
Registered
96 Posts
do what they told, go and do the alignment first, if that doesnt help do the balancing and rotation of tires also check if you have a bent rim if that doesnt help check your axles.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
did all that

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and i rectily whent to daytona and check every thing and thy said that the olny explation is that its just the low profile tires and thats the way the celice is .

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i have the same problem.. i dont really have really really low profile tires either i got 225/40/18.. i dont wanna go thru the hassle of re-balancing or alignments becuz im afraid that they will scratch my rims in the process..

·
Registered
96 Posts
OH I HEAR THAT!!! man i am so scared they will scratch my rims but i will have to do re-balancing soon. i'll have to tell them, if you sratch them better run!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
gotta do it sometime, no matter how much you avoid getting service your tires are gonna wear one day and you'll need an alignment, just find a good reputable shop to do it and they'll be careful...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
my car shakes a little at about 70 or higher also but i am pretty sure that its just the crappy roads cause it doesnt always do it....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts