NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turned on AC and it doesn't spin. BOOM! turned out AC isn't working either. No cool air. So i drove the car for a while and let it idle and fan doesn't turn on.

Been driving it in this 80F weather and still not overheating it.... gosh darn it! I wonder if there's a fuse for the fans that blew up... lost my manuel.. damm

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Both Fans will turn on at 205F......When you turn on the AC both should go on also. If not, then check your fuses...Each fan has its own separate fuse on the passenger side fusebox. Also see if your getting power via test light or meter to the fan harnesses located right on the fan. It should be the Black/white wire for power and the white/black wire for ground. If your getting power to both then your fans are shot....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i pulled out the fan relays in the engine compartment fuse box, but was unable to determine if they're fugged or not.. how would i go about finding that out?

if i had a stuck thermostat, wouldnt it throw a CEL? On my ex's solara, it threw a CEL when the thermostat got stuck open...

i remember last summer it was running and AC was on until i unbolted the battery and ever since then, it hasn't been working... when i turned on the AC, the car's engine tone would change as if it's working and then goes back to normal in a few seconds..

Does the AC have a fuse/relay? according to http://www.radphys.com/ARTICLE_FUSEBLOCK_DIAGRAM.pdf , there arent any fan fuses in the passenger fuse box...

thanks guys, i'm gonna check if there's power coming to the fans...

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,663 Posts
As I recall, the condenser fan only operates when the A/C is on. When A/C is off, only the radiator fan kicks on in high speed when temp > 190F through Fan Relay 1. When A/C is on and temp is <190F and refrigerant pressure is below 220-psi, both fans run on Low speed though Fan Relays 3 & 2 as long as the A/C is ON. When A/C is on and temp >208F or refrigerant pressure is >220psi, both fans run on High speed. Radiator fan via Fan Relay 1 and Condenser fan through Fan Relay 3. Fan Relay 2 then provides the Condenser Fan Motor ground for high speed.

A blown 5A FAN RLY fuse (lower left multi-fuse in center console fusebox - #19 in the RADPHYS .jpg) would kill them both.

·
15,663 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i tested fan relays 2+3 and the megnetic clutch. What i did was took out the horn relay (horn will not work when it is out), put fan relays 2+3 and megnetic clutch relay in there and the horn works, so that means all those relays are good. Couldn't test fan relay 1 cuz it's a different color and is probably a different type.

When i turned on the AC, the idle kicks up to 1500 rpm (800rpm normal) and then goes back down to 800 rpm after like 3-4 mins. No cold air during those mintues. The AC light is not flashing.

I almost never use AC so i would assume the freon/refrigerant is still there...?? Now all i have to do is test the fan 1 relay and test if power is going to my fans.

BTW, which fans are 1, 2, and 3?

·
15,663 Posts
Never assume;)

Only 2 Fans. Fan Relay 2 toggles between putting the 2 fans in series (1/2 speed on both) and grounding the Condenser fan for full speed.

Might try an ECM reset.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.