NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remember in "the fast and the furious" when the mitsubishi eclipse exploded because of the nitrous. Well i was wondering how this was possible since N2O is a non flammable gas. Was it just some Hollywood bull**** to make the film more spectacular?? The reason why im asking is because im getting a 50 shot NOS installed in my car soon and i dont want my car (with me in it) to explode if i get into an accident.

BTW is N2O illegal in USA for street car usage? In Australia its illegal to use N2O on the street but not illegal to have it installed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ok, ONLY bec. you are new to this scene will anyone problem respond with an nice gesture to this question. I can't remember HOW many posts I've read to this effect...

No, Nitrous will not explode in a fireball. Yes the tank can burst though and I wouldn't want to be around for that, you would be a frozen corpse if you got to close to that :D. No nitrous isn't dangerous if you keep the rpms high enough while squeezing, and you don't squeeze while hitting rev-limiter, and you aren't using too big of a shot. Also make sure you are using higher octane fuel 93+ and running some colder stage sparkplugs like NGK BKR7E or something along those lines.

50 MAX for the GT-S, and you can run a 75 shot on the GT. The NOS kit rates flywheel HP, while NX rates it at the wheels. I am running at 75 NX shot, so that puts me in the 90 HP shot range to the flywheel when converting it to NOS "terms".

THe legality of Nitrous can vary from state to state. You DON'T want to be caught with nitrous in your lines. You MIGHT be able to get away with it if you get caught but can prove there is nothing in your line and therefore were not using it. However, it is a combustable gas and that may require a license in some states to "transport". Having it legally hooked up would be nice, especially if you have a remote opener and purge valve...the cop wouldn't be able to prove a thing ;)

Use the search feature of this site. Read other websites. DEFINITELY read the Nitrous 101 post in this forum. Do research about when to use it, when to not (don't use it below 3K on the Tach). There is A LOT of information out there (and even in here) you just have to SEARCH (;)) for it. YOu can't miss it, it is a little red button at the top of the forum pages on the upper right hand side. I hope this helps you out.

Happy searching and happy squeezing.

Peace,

J

·
Registered
357 Posts
you're getting a nitrous system installed in your car and you don't even know the basics of nitrous? i would hold off on the system and research a lot before getting yourself into it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly i would like to thank you VT GT for taking the effort to explain to me about N2O. However next time please read the question before jumping in with an explanation. I know exactly how N2O works and the effects it can have on my engine (i didnt ask for an explanation on this). What i was asking though, was how it exploded in "the fast and the furious" given that it is innate. My theory is that because the car was already on fire, it may have been hot enough for the nitrogen and oxygen molecules to seperate thus causing the explosion (since oxygen is extremely flammable). I just needed someone to confirm this theory. Given that this theory is correct an explosion from the N2o bottle in the real world would be unlikely because it is not that often that u get your car in a ball of flame in the first place. That is why i then proceeded to ask about its legality in USA. In other words if N2O is safe why is it illegal to use it on the streets.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
buy the book "how to use and install nitrous oxide"

great book.. if you dont know alot about nitrous..

·
Registered
107 Posts
Endless...

Hey man, my bad. I see thatyou signed up in Jan of 2003 and asking "simple" type question (at least i took it that way, my fault) I assumed you were a n00b...i apologize.

I guess having something that can burst and cause damage to your car and maybe be the culprit of an accident might have some kinda reason for it not being legal, also due to the fact you can get F'ed up off of the fumes, that might not be good if it is leaking.

Again, sorry about that. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts