NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Man, two whole days and not one more person has said that they were coming?

4 months ago there were over 50 people that said they were coming, now only about twenty? Mostly from the DC Metro area (I guess this really does show who ownz who).

I am really beginning to think that this forum really is filled with posers.

When it can time to put up or shut up, there was a whole lot of shutting up and very little putting up.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
ringthree said:

I am really beginning to think that this forum really is filled with posers.

Took you a little too long. Remember that country wide meet that hundreds of people were going to go to 6 months before it was the happen? Then, closer to the date, about 2 people were in for it.

Not to mention ":wtc:There aren't any perfomance mods for the Celica:wtc:" and then "Man, I ain't paying more than $1000 for a turbo kit, and it better give me a reliable 500HP!"

·
Registered
929 Posts
I think you have to plan a meet around some sort of event that people will want to attend, like HIN or Nopi for example.

Or maybe people just aren't as passionate enough about their Celica as say some of the vehicles out there, kind of like the Supra groups. Hell, I've read articles about National PT Cruiser meets. With turnouts in the hundreds.

Maybe the fact that in this paricular community, people will ridicule each other to the point of hatred that leaves people with a sour taste in their mouth when it comes to the Celica community as a whole. Like greeting new people with smartass remarks when they're asking a question.

It could be any number of reasons.

·
Registered
22,454 Posts
I agree with the planning around an event. For Example)

We had a East Coast DSM roadtrip/meet in Myrtle Beach SC last month. We ended up with 50 people @ dinner on Saturday night but at any given time over the weekend we only had 10-15 cars.

Now there is a DSM shootout in April or Norwalk Raceway Ohio that is a yearly event that ALOT of DSMers go to. There will be hundreds of DSMs at this meet because its based on a DSM only track event.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I will give my honest opinion even though a lot of the DCM people might not like it. When the voting was done on place, I suggested Myrtle Beach because it was more central..........Because more DCM people voted, (and were planning on staying for the week) than other people, Outer Banks won. Well that leaves people from Nova. with about a 3.5-4 hour drive and people from Northern Fl. Ga. with about a 10.5 11 hour drive. Not to mention the people in Central or southern Fl. etc. My guess is that's why a lo of people are backing out. That and there is nothing to do in the Outer Banks.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
buckeye23 said:
I think you have to plan a meet around some sort of event that people will want to attend, like HIN or Nopi for example.

Or maybe people just aren't as passionate enough about their Celica as say some of the vehicles out there, kind of like the Supra groups. Hell, I've read articles about National PT Cruiser meets. With turnouts in the hundreds.

Maybe the fact that in this paricular community, people will ridicule each other to the point of hatred that leaves people with a sour taste in their mouth when it comes to the Celica community as a whole. Like greeting new people with smartass remarks when they're asking a question.

It could be any number of reasons.
As for peoples attitude, that is something outside of my control.

As for the meet, I think you misunderstand my point here. This was supposed to be the event that people plan around. I'm not so much concerned that it didn't attract more people I am more concerned that the people that showed so much interest in the planning stages then BAILED afterward. I would not be upset at all if people said they could not come and the meet started out with only about 20 people. I AM upset that a TON of people said that they would come and then fell silent when it was time to commit. Maybe that is because I am far to much an dreamer and I need to be realistic. But to me, peoples word should mean something.

Ultimately, I would like to do an East Coast Meet every year. Make it an event that people want to come to, but that requires that people follow up on their statements.

Maybe that can help clarify my bitterness.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
JaCelica2k said:
I will give my honest opinion even though a lot of the DCM people might not like it. When the voting was done on place, I suggested Myrtle Beach because it was more central..........Because more DCM people voted, (and were planning on staying for the week) than other people, Outer Banks won. Well that leaves people from Nova. with about a 3.5-4 hour drive and people from Northern Fl. Ga. with about a 10.5 11 hour drive. Not to mention the people in Central or southern Fl. etc. My guess is that's why a lo of people are backing out. That and there is nothing to do in the Outer Banks.
Interesting points. But at the time several NY people had also committed which did not make Myrtle Beach central.

Also we all voted for the place and OBX won over Myrtle Beach. I dont really see why DCM people should be "punished" for being the most commited. The DCM people going to OBX would also have gone to Myrtle Beach, is it really fair to say that they should do that to make up for the laziness of others?

Also at the TIME OF THE VOTING the people that said they were going to stay for a week was much larger. I was planning on getting two beach houses and I thought that that would not be enough for everyone. When I started collecting money that is when people disappeared. That is another source of my concern.

(Sidenote: As for OBX having less to do, thats is just plain wrong. Myrtle Beach probably has more bars, but I dont see that as exactly more to do for a week of vacation.)

I understand what you are saying, it makes a lot of sense. My only last real question is, would putting the East Coast Meet in Myrtle Beach really have made a difference for most people? That is my real concern.

We will definitely have the East Coast Meet in Myrtle Beach next year and we will see if there is a real differnce.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts