NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im debating if i should change my insurance coverage on my car, currently im paying about 100 bucks a month for full coverage, but i've been debating if i should change to liability since the car is old now and probably not worth much, if i was to wreck im sure the insurance would just total it out. I could save about 50 bucks a month if i switch, what do you guys recommend? and what are your thoughts/situation?

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
:laugh:-HAHAhaha...WTF!?
In my opinion...I don't care how old a car is, it should have full coverage if it's YOUR main DAILY DRIVER!
If you don't drive the car as much, you should probably get liability or get it insured for the weekends.
Yeah, we all hate Car Insurance. But when that day comes when you get into an accident, you'll be glad to know it's Fully Covered. :eatpop:

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I bought the Celica used in 2006. Never had full coverage on it since it was already 6 years old. Having 600 bucks at the end of the year is nice if you don't have money growing from a tree.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^i agree, if it was cheaper i would keep it, but at 100bucks i feel im losing more money than getting anything out of it.

having full coverage is good but at the same time i feel i would get crap for my car if i got into an accident; the value of our cars aren't that high sub 5k and expected for a 12 year old car with high mileage (~180k)

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
i keep it fu11 cause if you hit somebody its on1y fixing there car..not yours and then your just p1ain out of any payout for your car. then you may get a tow bi11...and then other things.

·
Registered
695 Posts
It depends on the area you live in. If auto theft is very common and your neighborhood isnt that great, i'd say its worth it. If you can give an honest assesment of your own driving skills, and you have been in accidents where you were at fault, you might want to stick with full coverage.

When my cars value fell below 8k, I switched to liability only.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You can ask your insurance agent about agreed value insurance. They will fix my car up to 17,500 or cut me a check for 20k if it is totaled to get something else. I pay 160 a month with 500 ded on comp and coll. and Half a million on injuries, no coverage (there are a lot of idiots with out any insurance!) Back in July 2010 someone hot wired and stole my car. And I got about 3,000 from that little fiasco. Only cost 345 dollars for toyota to put in a new ignition.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i consider myself to be a fairly safe driver; i usually dont speed ~75 max on the freeways and my commute is <10miles daily to work; my neighborhood is ok i supposed (my place has its own parking, though not gated it is separated from everyone else. I figured i can save 600 bucks a year and use that towards purchasing a new car in 2-3 years...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Are we living in Bizzarro world.

You have a Celica.

Drop the full coverage. Auto theft on a Celica?

I forget the young ones here.

I can not believe people are carrying full coverage on a Celica.

That would explain it.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
I keep full on most cars unless the car is like 800 bucks. Otherwise, uninsured drivers will make you regret. If it is your only car, it is a risk. If not, save the money.

That being said, accidents are few and far between. So, if you have some money saved, save the monthly dough as Gio said.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts