NewCelica.org Forum banner

Celica or FR-S

1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Call me DIM.
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, :wave:

As some of you know, I own a 2005 Celica GT-S with the Tsunami Body kit since 2008. And I've been watching the FR-S ever since 2009 as the FT-86. And I love how the car looks and the fact the it's RWD. But overall, how much of an upgrade would it be going from a Celica to a FR-S? I've been debating to get one or not.

Pro's & Con's Vs. Celica

FR-S

Pros:
-New Car
-More power (not much)
-RWD
-Good after market support
-Active forums :chuckles:

Cons:
-Monthly Payments
-Not much faster than a Celica
-No room in the space in the back seats
-Hatchback > Trunk
-Less storage compartments
-First year on the market = Problems
-So far from what I've seen on ft86club, Interior rattles, torque dips,

For pro's and con's that's all I can think of. I'll add more later when I can think of some.

So would you guys keep the Celica or get the FR-S?

Opinons? Let's discuss. :)

·
"Mega-Giga Bytes Son!"
1,546 Posts
If its your daily, its not much of an upgrade... I was in your shoes and i couldnt pay the same price for a car that was hardly a step up from the celica (dd wise) and went with the gencoupe. But i cant recommend that route either....

Get a mustang? :shrugs:

Or wait... Get a fusion and win at life altogether. :laugh:

·
Call me DIM.
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If its your daily, its not much of an upgrade... I was in your shoes and i couldnt pay the same price for a car that was hardly a step up from the celica (dd wise) and went with the gencoupe. But i cant recommend that route either....

Get a mustang? :shrugs:

Or wait... Get a fusion and win at life altogether. :laugh:
Well, I knew it wasn't much of an upgrade, the only thing I really like is the RWD and appearance of the FR-S. And I would never get a Mustang, I'm a Toyota Guy, all my family own are Toyota's! ( 97 Previa S/C, 03 Tundra Step side, 09 Corolla Xrs-T, 03 IS300) :chuckles:

And I'm wondering if I did get an FR-S to wait until all the bugs get fixed, and come's with more options. Like the Five Axis/TRD kit, fog light's, etc.

And yeah, for the FR-S's price, I already know I can get faster cars for the same price range. But I just wanna stick with Toyota. :)

·
Call me DIM.
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I say hold onto the celica for another year or so.
I was thinking the same things, like I said

And I'm wondering if I did get an FR-S to wait until all the bugs get fixed, and come's with more options. Like the Five Axis/TRD kit, fog light's, etc.
And just to save up a little money and put a big down payment. And ohh yeah, the Celica would stay in the Family, my parent's still wanna keep it. :chuckles:

·
Murse Practitioner.
2,911 Posts
Save up another year, let the kinks of the first year be worked out, more aftermarket support and proof of parts performance. And if you save enough keep the celica as yours and the FRS

·
Registered
905 Posts
I ve heard they are goin to release a turbo version as a subaru instead of scion.

·
Call me DIM.
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Save up another year, let the kinks of the first year be worked out, more aftermarket support and proof of parts performance. And if you save enough keep the celica as yours and the FRS
I don't think I can afford to keep both car's as for insurance and maintenance. And I live on an AFB in the dorms, So both cars would be sitting outside. I'd rather not do that.

I ve heard they are goin to release a turbo version as a subaru instead of scion.
I heard that there's gonna be a turbo & convertible 86 in Asia/Europe only, and as for the STI, it was gonna be 250hp N/A would some body/lip kit.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
It's basically a Celica with rwd and a better chassis in stock form. Enjoy not having payments for some more time.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
i really thought about going FR-S/BRZ as well, but i think im going to wait for the 2nd generation just to see what upgrades they have; and hopefully i can get a BRZ...its so much nicer than the FR-S!

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Personally, I see the car as less practical than a Celica. Also, personally, I believe TRD will offer a supercharger and Subaru will offer a turbocharger. Subaru may also take it AWD.

I understand the desire to move on to something new. But I think letting the BRZ/FR-S market mature a bit makes the best sense. Maybe even two years, at least. The options list should increase immensely as well as the aftermarket alternatives. If you want to lump a bunch of parts into your purchase you could do it with TRD, but they just don't have the parts available yet.

In the meantime, tweak your ride a bit so it's got some "new" going on for you while you wait! :D

·
Spanning Tree Storm
1,264 Posts
keep celica.

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
Its worth it depending on the person. If I only had one DD and lots of cacat pooling with friends then no.

Plus I'd rather get a '13 Genesis coupe R-Spec

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I'd wait. Most of the time there are an issue or two with first gen cars such as the 00-02 GT celicas. Burning oil like crazy :gap:

They usually make minor changes later and I'm willing to bet there is going to be a turbo version coming out.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'd wait some years to see if it has some major problems or anything with it at first...you know how Toyota is, shady sometimes with their builds.

And probably within 5 years you'll see one going for cheaper.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think it really just comes down to if you want to buy a brand new car and you really like the frs/brz. For 24k, you can buy a ton more cars that will perform better. For example, an older sti/wrx, do a turbo upgrade and be making mad power. You could do a RB/2jz swap 240sx with mad power. Or a supra or nsx. With older cars, you will still have to fix problems, but when you are done, you can still come out under 24k. Oh, and I sat in an fr-s today, and it had an awesome driving position :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Yeah it is a tough call. I have both cars...... Or I should say my girlfriend has an FRS. :) as a direct replacement it is probably not worth it. But as a comparison of car vs car, the FRS is a better car. Like the hype claims, it is a verry nimble car and fun to drive. I do like the celicas vvtl-I and I feel like my celica is more responseive in it's exceleration. As far as first year production problems goes it seems like there's very is minor issues. We do not have squeaking problems, but we have had idle / rpm dips. My celica had a tone more rattles and squeaks when was brand new. As far as future versions of the car goes, that is all speculation. I really doubt we will see a all wheel drive version or if we do it will jump the cost way up. Because the initial engineering did not plan for it. And if we see turbo from factory it will go up in to 370z cost territory. ( I have a 370z as well ) the torque tip is not noticeable at all to me. We have a few other minor issues with the car, but Toyota is very good about fixing things under warranty.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts