NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all you experts,

I need some advice. I bought a '00 GTS in the US and relocated to Germany a year ago taking the car.
Since there is no speed limit in germany I could finally test the topspeed. To my disappointment I found that it reaches its top speed in 5th gear at about 135mph. If you shift to 6th you get no lift even though you hit the rev range where you should and speed drops to 125mph
Getting outaccelerated by average VW GTI's with 150HP really pisses me off... :-(
A car with 180HP should easily hit 145 . The german or european GTS has about 192HP and has been clocked in tests at about 145mph.
Does any of you guys know what the difference between US and Euro specs are? Should be the motormanegment. Can one switch the US chip for a Euro one? Would be an easy way to gain a bunch of HP. I know a german toyota mechanic willing to look into this, but Toyota itself is very reluctant to give any info about the guts of the car. Is there a way to get some info on the wiring of the motormanagement?? If the car is really speed limited just bypassing the signal that tells the chip that you are in 6th gear might already do the trick.

Thanks-a-lot for any insight on this!

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
With a stock GTS the top speed is at redline in 5th gear. There isn't enough power in 6th to continue acceleration (yes, lift is active, but that doesn't mean you are putting much to the wheels).

Scott

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Ummmm.....I have a 00 GTS and live in CA. I have hit 148 as well with no problem (at least that's what the speedo stated). And, that's on a flat road - no downhill. I don't know what's up with your GTS.....

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
I've hit 156mph speedo indicated once. How accurate that was is beyond me. I was in 6th and pulling.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
GTSinGermany said:

Since there is no speed limit in germany I could finally test the topspeed.
Um... There are speed limits in germany. lol. There are certain parts of the autobahn where the speed limit isnt enforced, but you will be caught if you are weaving in and out passing traffic.

You made it sound like you can drive as fast as you want anywhere in germany.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.