NewCelica.org Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

· Registered
60 Posts
the 02 gt-s 6spd are governed at 138-140 by the ecu and u cant hit lift in 6.... is really bull**** if u ask me... i need more speed and i got mad mods so i top out alot

· Registered
868 Posts
Theres no way to tell how fast ur going unless ur caught by a cop...just becuz the speedo says ur goin 145 or 160 doesnt mean ur goin that fast...seriously how do u know ur goin that fast...toyota doesnt expect u to hit top speed in order to test the cars limits...so how do we all know what top speed we are in?? The truth lies in independent tests!!!! Car and Driver perhaps?

· Registered
2,841 Posts
Ive hit 152mph before. For those that say there is no pulling power in 6th ..i beg to differ.
The autobahn has many speed limits. (FACT)There are more speed limited stretches of road then there are unrestricted speed stretches. (FACT)Many American ignore the speed limit and over time feel there really is no speed limit.

(quote)we dont know. but i actually think they just have a different rating for horse power. I think the car puts down the same amount. there is nothing different about the motor just looking at it with your eyes

They do have a different way of rating a cars power and its put in the way of PS. The engines are the same but the ECU is what gives them more power; yes they have more power. Its the less restictive emission law in Europe that allows them to have a less enviorment safe ecu. Ive been trying to get my hands on a euro spec ecu for awhile, but being that there a rare purchase here i can't find one in the junk yards as of yet. Im about to get gangter and rob one:)

· Registered
20 Posts
I've hit 145 just after I bought my 6-spd used w/46k miles on it. That was with passengers & w/o any mods, although I did start on a slight incline. I tried again a few months later, after adding an AEM pulley & CAI, but could only hit 135. I'm thinking it's the weather difference... btw I'm new here. Wassup everyone! Just have to say that this is a pretty tight forum:)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hi Everybody,

thanks for the many comments and answers.
Too bad I havn't gotten real technical input yet.
I contacted Toyta and they blatently refuse to give any info on the guts of the car.

Some comments:

The german autobahn: I am german and I was born and raised there. So I guess I know what the deal is.
There is NO GENERAL SPEEDLIMIT. In local areas that are potententially dangerous there are local speed limits. Around big cities where there are lots of exits and heavy traffic there usually is one. Usually 65-.80mph. Once you are away from big cities you can find plenty of nice stretches where you can let it rip. My high scores are 170 on a motorcycle and 185 in an Audi A8. All perfectly legal, just have to look for a nice EMPTY stretch of autobahn. Don't try this if there are too many other people on the road.

Speedo Readings: I know these are fairly inacurate. At high speeds they usually overstate your true speed by about 5-10%. The factory stated topspeed for the GTS is 135. Thats where the limiter in 5th gear kicks in. So speedo reading of 140-145 is consistent.

Topspeed of the GTS: I was a little disappointed that if I shift to 6th at 135 I don't feel the lift kick in and accelerate. I hoped that it was the ECU limiting at 6th gear and that this cut be fixed.
(this is the case with allmost all high power luxury sedans, BMW Mecredes Audi etc. they electronically cut off at 155. Replacing a little chip takes you to 180 and beyond)
the sad truth seems to be that the celica just doesn't have enough grunt to go faster. autxr is right. In 5th you hit the limiter and in 6th you don't have enough power. If you look at a few dyno curves posted on this forum (THANKS!! that answered my question) you see that around 6000rpm you have about 120 HP before lift kicks in and around 140HP after. Given the air resistance of a modern day car this translates to about 130-140 mph. Too bad. I guess one could make it go faster if you change the gear ratio of the gear box so you hit topspeed at peak horsepower.

Bolt-ons like intakes and mufflers and what have you will not make a big differnce in that. Despite what the manufactruer tells you they usually only make your car sound faster and give you single digit horsepower increase maximum. If you are lucky. Try to dyno your car with and without em on the same stand and comparable temperature. You'll want your money back....
Aftermarket turbos and nitrous are not really an option here since they usually are not street-legal in europe and they reduce that half-life of the engine too much. Also I'd like to keep the fuel efficiency of the GTS as is. Fuel is $4.00/gallon around here. THATS the real speed limit in Germany....

I guess I will save the money for mods on the GTS and buy a motorcycle again. There I can easily get 180mph for about $4000 for a used one. Try that with a GTS. The GTS is still nice to commute to work ;-)

· Registered
3,065 Posts
Hungster said:
your telling me that bolt ons dont give you enough power????? well with my bolt ons i got plenty of power, with the kazuma i still couldnt go over 135, my car pulls hard in 6th gear.
You car is a 2002 - ECM is different from the 2000 & 2001

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hungster said:
your telling me that bolt ons dont give you enough power????? well with my bolt ons i got plenty of power, with the kazuma i still couldnt go over 135, my car pulls hard in 6th gear.
My car pulls hard in 6thh too, just not hard enough at topspeed. Air resistance increases with velocity squared. So you need a substantion power increase for a little increase in speed. 135 in 6th means you are reving around 6000rpm. There you are about 30-40 HP below peak power. So you need a dramatic increase in HP at mid range revs, about 10-20 at least, to give you a chance to pull through to reach peak power i.e. top speed at peak power.

· Registered
1,220 Posts
Okay people. I have hit lift in 6th gear once i toped off 5th and it stays there for a few seonds then then speed drops off like crazy. I think it droped to about 6500rpm. But socuer has been able to pull after he tops off 5th with his 6th gear. but he also has clutch and flywheel. not sure if it makes a difference.

· Registered
160 Posts
aerospike2002 said:
Ummmm.....I have a 00 GTS and live in CA. I have hit 148 as well with no problem (at least that's what the speedo stated). And, that's on a flat road - no downhill. I don't know what's up with your GTS.....
Word... I have hit 145+ but have not gone over 150 take ur **** to the max man.... take 5th as far as it can go... push it to the limit and u will see... cld be driver (not clowning but it cld be the way u drive it)

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
ObseneLogic said:

Word... I have hit 145+ but have not gone over 150 take ur **** to the max man.... take 5th as far as it can go... push it to the limit and u will see... cld be driver (not clowning but it cld be the way u drive it)
Thanks for the hint man, but thats just what I tried rev it to the limiter in 5th and shift fast. I hit 6th at about 6300rpm but it just
stays the same speed and then falls off...
Guess i got the monday morning editon of the GTS. The japanese party on weekend too...

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
exotic performance said:

if you can push the car to 8300rmp that is right about 140ish
Yeah, guess you're right. The limiter in 6th sets the topspeed.
Don't care much about the speedo reading, it's the taillights of Golf GTIs that piss me off. Oh well great fun car anyway and much better looking than a Golf...

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.