NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my car dyno'd at 171hp to the wheels and 124 lbs of torque. I was very happy considering it has 45,000 miles and like 5 autocross races. I am considering a new setup or not new but buying new stuff for the Celi and I was wondering what you guys thought of it or how can I improve on it.

Buying...
Bridgestone Potenza S-03 (can get them cheap that is why)
TRD Rear Strut Bar
TRD Struts
Stainless Steel Brake lines
TRD brake pads

Already have...
TRD springs
Hotchkis sway bars
TRD short shifter
Apex i s-afc
Injen CAI
TRD exhaust
Brembo Drilled Rotors
Setup for autocross at -2.0 camber at front 1/16 toe in back

At the last event I finished first but followed closely by a Type R and I know that the Type R will be really strong next time so I want to make the car handle better. What do you guys think?

More power? More suspension?

Also another thing I cant buy the LSD I dont have the money only have like $800 to buy.

Thank you for everything!

Sincerely
Hector Martinez MD
2000 Celica six speed

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just started looking into autocross, signed up for the drivers school in two weeks. Great see somebody driving a GT-S also, I was curious what sorts of stuff to check out too since the CAI put me into STS anyway. What tire pressure would you use for the stock 16" wheels/Yokohama advans?

·
Registered
791 Posts
FX2000GTS said:

Bridgestone Potenza S-03 (can get them cheap that is why)
TRD Rear Strut Bar
TRD Struts
Stainless Steel Brake lines
TRD brake pads

More power? More suspension?

Also another thing I cant buy the LSD I dont have the money only have like $800 to buy.
More suspension of course :). What class are you running in? STS I'm assuming from your mods. A LSD will put you in a different class than STS anyway... and the Type R you ran would be in STX or stock class. So if you're not concerned about class LSD would help in putting down the power.

You might look into adjustable shocks if you want something competitive. I've been under the impression that the TRD shocks are good for street and better than stock for autoxing but not as competitive as adjustable setups.

·
Registered
808 Posts
The s-afc and drilled rotors put you into some very challenging classes. Maybe Street Mod or Prepared. The best improvement you can make to the car at this point is some race compound tires. Tires will save you more time on course than all your other mods combined. I recommend lightweight 15x7 or wider wheels and Kuhmo tires. The way your car is set up now, it will be difficult to ever be truly competitive unless you get rid of the afc and brakes and get back into STS or Street Prepared. In mod or prepared, you'll be up against full blown race cars.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
disregarding the safc, you should be in STX if you get an lsd, but dont quote me on that.

as far as your mods, you can pretty much assume that the autox vets will tell you that you dont need the them unless you are trying to fix a handling problem. many guys here run in stock, so the only things that could help improve run times are konis, alignment, R tires, and seat time.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think STX is for cars that come w/ a factory LSD (i.e. Type R). Putting one in yourself might bump you into prepared or modified... from what I remember.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
OK, the first thing I'm getting from this thread is that most of you don't know the SCCA rules, but that's not the point.

First off, FX2000GTS, what class are you running in, with what club, and what are the rules?

Seconds: 45,000 miles and 5 autocross events means the engine is getting broken in still (I have 55,000 miles and probably close to 50 autocross events).

As for making your *car* potentially faster, I would consider the following:

DO NOT GET THE BRAKE LINES. I've seen more harm than good come from the installation of these things, and they won't change the handling of a new car the least little bit. Get new brake lines when your car is old, at least 10 years old.

The TRD brake pads will make very little, if any difference. What sort of speeds do you see at your autocrosses? Are we talking 2nd gear with occiasional 3rd? If so, then stock pads are fine, if they are higher speed than that, then call Matt at www.carbotecheng.com and ask for his advice (yes I am partial to Carbotech - tell them that Scott from the THSCC told you about them).

The TRD struts will be fine if yu are just out having fun, but really the TRD springs and struts are not for a serious competitor, there are much better options and all of them will be nearly 2X as stiff.

The rear chassis brace won't make the car appreciablly faster either, and isn't exactly legal in many SCCA classes (triangulation isn't allowed).

I can't argue with the choice of the Bridgestones, great tire! Put them on the lightest wheels that you can find. If it were me I would probably run a 225/45-16 on a 16x7.5 wheel if possible (try to keep the wheel weight under 16 lbs).

If your class allows it, then a limited slip differential would yield the best gains. While you are in there, beef up the clutch and lighten the flywheel if allowed.

Again, if we had a small clue about the rules in your area (or even where you are at all) we might be able to help a bit.

Scott

PS: For everyone else:

Inn the SCCA, there are no LSD's allowed in STS class (thus no type R), The Type R is legal in STX (where there are different rules) and it is acceptable to add a LSD to a car not equipped with one.

OEM size slotted and drilled rotors are legal in STS and STX (now I need to review the rules, I think STX is even allowing big brakes).

The S-AFC is also legal in STS, STX and all street prepared classes.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
autxr said:
I can't argue with the choice of the Bridgestones, great tire!
Unless R rubber is allowed...in that case, a race tire is going to make more of a difference than anything else mentioned

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Originally posted by XmbalmR I just started looking into autocross, signed up for the drivers school in two weeks......snip..... What tire pressure would you use for the stock 16" wheels/Yokohama advans?
Hey Scott can you recommend me a starting pressure. More than likely going to be my student.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
It's been a while, but I think I was running the stock Advans at about 45 psi up front and 32-35 psi in the rear. Bleed the rear down as needed to tame snap oversteer (if braking in a striaght line doesn't help).

Scott

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I too need to check the rules, my rulebook is at work, but I believe they made drilled or slotted stock size rotors legal in SP this year (no real performance gain for AX) and you can add a LSD.
171 hp @ the wheels? That's VERY impressive for a basically stock engine!
Scott, if you can get that kind of power, a LSD and a few more legal engine mods (programmable engine mgmt) + your suspension mods should make your car competitive in SP???

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
autxr said:
It's been a while, but I think I was running the stock Advans at about 45 psi up front and 32-35 psi in the rear. Bleed the rear down as needed to tame snap oversteer (if braking in a striaght line doesn't help).
That's about where I was thinking. I hope it's 60 degrees like last weekend (fat chance)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
yep, drilled and slotted rotors are legal in SP and higher this year as long as they are of the same size and construction as OEM. (no two piece rotors if OEM is one piece)

·
Registered
67 Posts
NoCones said:

Unless R rubber is allowed...in that case, a race tire is going to make more of a difference than anything else mentioned
Well FX2000GTS....NoCones, B1mmer and I have kicked around this STS/STX Celica idea for awhile..someone is close to doing it... ahem ...but without playing my hand here's what I think will work for celicas in STS/STX ..of course good driving plays the most important role.

Go with JIC c.o.'s or Koni's with GC coilover sleeves..front rates about 450-500 rear rates 550-650..use the Hotchkis camber plates and strut braces...keep the stock sway bar front, try the stock bar rear, or have a Hotchiks rear sway on stand by. Align to -2.2/-2.5 front camber and -1.2/-1.5 rear camber with Hotchkis poly end links and zero toe or slight toe 1/16" to 1/32" in the rear... Get a 15X7.5 or 16X7/7.5 lightweight wheel with Falken Azenis Tires.! Rota/Kosei and Falkens in 205-50-15 or 215-45-16 are a great cheap choice and the best in the business.

It is apparent with these spring rates you will get little body roll, brake dive or yaw. Therefore, the Celica "passive rear" steer will probably be greatly diminished and you are going to have to rely on the higher rear rates to get rotation. However, with the Celicas very light curb weight (less than a type R and crazy light without a sunroof and leather)..the very little body roll and great traction out of corners while maintaining static ride height ie not using up shock travel and hitting your bump stops will not unload the inside front tire and limit the need for a Quaife or TRD (clutch diff). If you go STX with a slip, you'll have that much more grunt out of corners.

The typical great toyota brakes and light weight plus traction from the Falkens should offset any braking reduction you have from the severe camber, so that your eyeballs should still hit the windshield when you stomp on the center pedal.

If I had to lean towards a tire/wheel choice I'd say get a set of ROTA slips, (there is a 15X7 coming) throw on a set of Falken Azenis (the 205-50-15 has a 218 mm width and is only 2mm shy of the 215 45 16), for gearing purposes and ..go practice driving and you should be set.!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts