NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the engine sound

it’s a 2001 GT

at around 65-70- mph it starts making this ticking sound. It goes away if I give it more gas. If I step on the gas pedal just a little it starts to make the ticking Sound but if I step on it goes away. It comes back if I put it on cruise control.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If it is engine knock you should get a CEL, even if it's not an active CEL your ECU should show it. Check with an OBD scanner. You can also try putting 93 Octane and see if it lessens or goes away, if yes, that is a good indicator of knock.

·
Registered
216 Posts
OP if you're talking about rod knock you should still get a CEL. You can also drop the oil pan, takes 5 minutes, and visually inspect the rods and journals.

Someone else said they thought the sound came from the top end, I can't tell myself, but if you get an automotive stethoscope you'd be able to isolate top or bottom end noise. If you're not comfortable doing any of this, you may just want to take it to a shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is the engine sound

it’s a 2001 GT

at around 65-70- mph it starts making this ticking sound. It goes away if I give it more gas. If I step on the gas pedal just a little it starts to make the ticking Sound but if I step on it goe that is early rod knock. Any load makes it go away. Get the reusable arp rod bolts and a set of OEM or king bearings and you can drop the pan and swap them.
Had a 1zz live like that for 20k miles before I bent a rod while "comparison driving"
Also won't knock under decel, just at low\no manifold vacuum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts