NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Daddy Daycare
20,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What? Spun a bearing going balls to the wall in lift from 1st to 3rd gear :D
Two and a half years ago when I bought the car I spun nr.2 rodbearing only one week later. It turned out at that time that the bearings that were in the engine didn't belong to it but to a Mitsu 4G engine: they shaved down the locktabs which were on the "wrong" side and hammered new locktabs on the other side. This is what it caused:

Well, two and a half years later and 25K into the rebuild I spun nr.4 bearing this time and it's worse this time.
Crank is toast.

Bearing is...well, supertoast compared to 2.5 years ago :chuckles:

Compare with a normal bearing.

Looks like I'm gonna have some fun tearing cars down again. Only problem is this is going to be a setback for my Crown 6M-GE swap, but I'll enjoy the next couple of months of dirty work.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
craziness..u so lucky u know how to work on cars man..i'd love to know how to take it apart and put it together and make things works..

have fun with the project.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
make sure you go back together with the race bearings.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
make sure you go back together with the race bearings.
Yep, time to go with the ACLs. I actually had Togas in there, but didn't turn out too well, probably because the crank was 0.50mm over.

be careful putting the main bearing in the crank case. i had to get stiches a week ago from that lol.
I was looking at the pics I took and there's a lot of casting flash, I'm gonna take care of those to minimize the risk of cuts and of course hotspots on the block.

do i smell a chance of a 1zz crank for a stroker setup...?
Nope. I have a spare crank and a couple of spare rods, I'm going to measure the crank to see if it's any good and take it from there.

is you crazy??
Not yet. I knew at one point that I was on borrowed time.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Worked on the car from 9pm saturday evening to 1am today removing everything that could be done up top, gonna hit the bed and wake up in the morning to get the stuff underneath removed and powertrain out.

I think I'm gonna get the head and intake manifold portmatched to the gasket this time :D

From the looks of it there is more to be fixed than just the bottom end. Had been getting a P0302 lately. I had been suspecting slightly bent valves for that cylinder. Now that the manifold is off, the valves on cylinder 2 are different than the rest.
Cylinder 1, 3 and 4 look like this, oily deposits on intake valves.

Cylinder 2 valves are dry and crusty.

I'll see how things go. Hate to be spending time/money on the Celica instead of the Crown but the Celica will see daylight faster than the Crown which gets an extansive overhaul.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Ahhhh sucks, I just saw this thread now :( Sorry to hear about this my friend, all the best in fixing it (and yeah, like everyone has said, it's just as well you know how to fix it!!)

If you need any more rods, or pistons, give me a shout :)

·
Daddy Daycare
20,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the engine fully torn down during the last couple of days. Been a hectic few weeks but I'm always happy when I can tear things down. Thought I'd post a few more pics while I wait for the parts to arrive.

Have to say that the Castrol Syntec is keeping things nice and clean.

Pan with shavings.

Block w/crank.

Empty block, pretty clean :D

Crank damage on nr.4 journal.

Piston nr.1, burning fairly well with just some slight carbon buildup. As mentioned earlier I had been suspecting slightly bent valves on cylinders nr.1 and 2. This suspicion is now confirmed. You can clearly see the contact point of one of the intake valves. Piston 2 is the same, whereas 3 and 4 are clean.

If you need any more rods, or pistons, give me a shout
I might have to take you upon your offer, as all three of my spare rods are out of spec.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,081 Posts
Sounds good ^^^ I have a thread in the parts for sale forum with pics, but if you need more detailed shots, just give me a shout :)

Also...your piston looks cleaner than what mine looked like (pics in the same thread) as mine have some gummy carbon build up on either side of the reliefs. Spooky...

·
Daddy Daycare
20,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good ^^^ I have a thread in the parts for sale forum with pics, but if you need more detailed shots, just give me a shout
Alright, I'll have a look at it and pm you later.

gismo said:
What was your first indication that you had spun a bearing?
I actually started having my suspicion the day before spinning the rod. There was a slight knock noticeable in 1st gear between 3.5 and 4.5K rpm. I should have pulled the pan that day and checked, would have probably prevented the spun bearing.
Next day when I got on it, I could actually both hear and feel I had spun a bearing. Going all out in 3rd gear, I could hear a slightly different noise coming from the engine at 7.8K rpm and up, besides that I could feel the car lost some steam in the last 500 rpms to fuel cut, the knock of the spun bearing possibly triggered the knock sensor and it pulled timing.
When I slowed down and idled the distinctive heavy metallic knock of a spun rod bearing was there.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've never understood why a spun bearing would cause a knock. If not mistaking there are two bearing that make up a full circle around the crank and the inner part of the attached rod. A spun bearing would still be there but just slipping and not creating any slack between the rod and the crank. So, the question is: Why does it knock?

1 - 20 of 167 Posts