NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2000 gt with no a/c. i checked the fuses and all checked out ok. My defroster still works, but no a/c. any idea?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Does the light on the AC button blink when you switch it on? Does the idle change at all? A little bit of cool air, or no cooling at all?

Scott

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Did you check the multi-fuses?

My AC doesn't work because of a problem with the instrument cluster, but the light still comes on and eventually starts blinking.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ok, I have the same problem here....where are the fuses? My ac light doesnt blink, it just stays on like its normal, but there is only warm air circulating through. I tried to put more freon in it on the low side and for 2 days it blew cool air through, and it just didnt blow anymore cold air through after that. Do you guys think i need to try and recharge it again or take it to a shop....and what kit should i buy to fix it if i try it again myself?

·
Banned
350 Posts
2kbluegts said:
Ok, I have the same problem here....where are the fuses? My ac light doesnt blink, it just stays on like its normal, but there is only warm air circulating through. I tried to put more freon in it on the low side and for 2 days it blew cool air through, and it just didnt blow anymore cold air through after that. Do you guys think i need to try and recharge it again or take it to a shop....and what kit should i buy to fix it if i try it again myself?
ya i remember when i first bought the damn car from a friend, he made sure he maintenance and everything pretty well... too much well in fact. well my a/c light turns on and stays but doesnt get cold... so i eventually stopped using it. Then one day i wanted to see if i was low on freon i charged the sucker! but still no results... what i do? i bought the larger adaptor and place it on the H side of the a/c and connected it through a empty bottle of freon. then turn the a/c in my car to the max... boy was i surprise... the bottle was empty then in a matter of seconds about 30's i'd say. the bottle was like 3-5lbs full of freon... it got so full that the connecting tube from the freon to the bottle came loose and freon sprayed everywhere....so i hurried and pulled the adaptor out and went back in my car and WOW the a/c was now cold! it figures my a/c was filled w/ too much freon to begin with, now its ice cold and im happy w/ it!

·
Banned
350 Posts
2kbluegts said:
you need to put ur hands on ur a/c vents if its like cold near refridgerator then you are low on freon (when it was working) but if its just cold you probubly turned ur a/c on at night time or during when the weather was cool, but i remember when mines wasnt cold. occasionaly on a cold start i turn the a/c on it works for about 5 seconds so it makes a slight cool. just check ur freon for normal PSI you probubly overfilled it if not Worse case scenario you got a leak

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
ZenoGenProducts said:
you need to put ur hands on ur a/c vents if its like cold near refridgerator then you are low on freon (when it was working) but if its just cold you probubly turned ur a/c on at night time or during when the weather was cool, but i remember when mines wasnt cold. occasionaly on a cold start i turn the a/c on it works for about 5 seconds so it makes a slight cool. just check ur freon for normal PSI you probubly overfilled it if not Worse case scenario you got a leak
I know what it feels like when the ac is working properly...

ZenoGenProducts said:
ya i remember when i first bought the damn car from a friend, he made sure he maintenance and everything pretty well... too much well in fact. well my a/c light turns on and stays but doesnt get cold... so i eventually stopped using it. Then one day i wanted to see if i was low on freon i charged the sucker! but still no results... what i do? i bought the larger adaptor and place it on the H side of the a/c and connected it through a empty bottle of freon. then turn the a/c in my car to the max... boy was i surprise... the bottle was empty then in a matter of seconds about 30's i'd say. the bottle was like 3-5lbs full of freon... it got so full that the connecting tube from the freon to the bottle came loose and freon sprayed everywhere....so i hurried and pulled the adaptor out and went back in my car and WOW the a/c was now cold! it figures my a/c was filled w/ too much freon to begin with, now its ice cold and im happy w/ it!
You put yours through on the high end? I thought the directions on the bottle i purchased said to put it through on the low end... Man im confused now :confused:

·
Registered
562 Posts
2kbluegts
You must have a leak. You can buy a kit with ac stop leak in it and try that or buy a kit with ac dye in it then look for the leak.Also look at all the connection on the system for oil leakage, front of ac compressor,all hose connections, etc.Sometimes it nothing more than a loose connection or bad o-ring,other times it the seal in the front of the compressor or the evap in the dash which are even hard to find with a special tester.Only put freon in the low side is the only possible way and even then sometimes you need to put the can in a bucket of hot water to get all the freon to go in.Always keep the freon can in the up-right position.

·
Banned
350 Posts
2kbluegts said:
I know what it feels like when the ac is working properly...

You put yours through on the high end? I thought the directions on the bottle i purchased said to put it through on the low end... Man im confused now :confused:
i put it on the High end so i can take out the FREON! low end is where u add more freon, common problem on celicas is that people overcharge our the a/c system and i used an EMPTY bottled freon thats why i place it on the high end ( i used the long empty bottle one)

·
Registered
562 Posts
If it is charged without dye in it you should see clear liquid with a few bubbles in it and maybe change a little when you race the engine.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It is better to use gauges and go by specs in the manual or just put 3 cans in and check temp at vents.It also a good idea to add some oil to the system
since some of it leaked out,I usually put in 2 to 4 oz. But if moisture got in the system you should put on a new dryer on and evac the system with pump to suck or boil the moisture out.

·
Registered
711 Posts
2kbluegts said:
You can go to a shop to check for leaks using a leak detector.
I saw ads offering to do it for like $20 or less.

Check you condenser for cracks first (the thing in front of the radiator). It's very vulnerable if you have no grille.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
1zzfe-man said:
It is better to use gauges and go by specs in the manual or just put 3 cans in and check temp at vents.It also a good idea to add some oil to the system
since some of it leaked out,I usually put in 2 to 4 oz. But if moisture got in the system you should put on a new dryer on and evac the system with pump to suck or boil the moisture out.
how the heck am i supposed to do that? I think the option here is probably taking it to the shop to get it fixed....and im tryin to sell it, so i might just let it go as is. I mean, the ac did work once when i put the can of stuff in the first time, and then after a couple days, it just stopped blowin out cold air. Im not a AC professional or anything, but at least i know the system seems to be working since I can feel the drawback in power when i turn it on. Oh and the can i was using had one of those guages on it that shows wether you are in the green(empty), blue(charged), yellow(warning), and red(service) zones.

BTW this is kinda off topic...but does anyone know how much a factory clutch goes for?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts