NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
I'm 99% sure that the federal law trumps the state law, likely the state law is to cover older vehicles not under 108. I'm not a transportation lawyer or any kind of expert in this so I'm not really sure but I'd venture a guess that your white signals aren't legal. Well I know they're not since PNP LED bulbs in signals and headlights aren't legal, but generally as long as it's bright enough and the right color it'll slide. I'm using Philips Ultinon LED bulbs in my rear lamps which are NOT DOT compliant but they're red and amber and bright so they're close enough to not warrant any legal attention and likely would be problem free in an accident. If anything they're a little too bright and scatter light a little too wide. Pricey though....and really JDM stuff, almost overnighted from Japan. $60 a pair, but worth it to me since it looks like OEM LED stuff going on in my tail lights and they're super robust.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hmmm ill have to do some more research myself it seems. The Wikipedia link says 108 allows only amber but when I go to the .gov 108 description I'm not seeing the color requirements. I do appreciate you bringing it to my attention though! Sounds like you have a clean set up for the rear lights though! I wa s going to do some sort of retrofit to get a clean, bright led configuration but 17cr a semester, working part time, and the lady doesn't allow me much free time unfortunately.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Ah that's the brilliant thing about the Philips Ultinon LED, no time needed, just money :lol:

·
Registered
8,250 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
That was supposed to be an exclamation not a question mark haha.. but nice find bitter! Never heard of that global market site I might have to play around a little bit!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts