NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Doesn't the SS stand for Super Strut? The SS-II are J-spec Celica's, they're a little different because our's is a US Spec while the SS-II is Japanese spec...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
SS-I = USDM GT
SS-II = USDM GT-S
SS II "Super Strut" = GT-S with a double wishbone front and rear suspension.

Here is a translated qoute form the Japan Toyota website. "it loads double wishbone suspension to the rear on the front." Also if you look at a JDM TRD catalog they have a coilover set for the "super strut" and the front shocks look nothing like what we get here. A fellow Celica owner here tried to order it and had to send it back because he couldn't use it for the USDM GT-S.

·
Registered
904 Posts
THE_PRO said:
I have a GT-S, is that equivalent to the SS-II, or the SS-II super strut?

what's the difference with the super strut?
SS-1 = US GT
SS-2 = US GTS (smaller rear shocks and springs)
SS-2 superstrut
TRD-M

·
Registered
637 Posts
PRO, i got your e-mail.

i forwarded it to my contact in Japan.

good luck on your hunt.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
As stated above, the differences between the USDM and JDM versions are mostly suspension-related. People often talk about the horsepower differences and ask, "How does the Japanese 2zz engine make 190 HP and the US 2zz make only 180 HP?" However, that is kind of a misnomer, since the Japanese 2zz-powered Celicas actually make 190PS, not 190 HP. Since 1 PS = 0.986 HP, then the Japanese Celicas actually make about 187.3 HP (using American standards of horsepower).

Also keep in mind that many dynos of American 2zz engines seem to indicate that Toyota slightly underrated the US-published flywheel horsepower of 180 HP. Stock US Celicas seem to be making slightly more than that. Factor in the slightly higher octane gas sold in Japan (which allows the Japanese ECU to run slightly more aggressive/advanced ignition timing), and you can see that the power difference between US-spec Celicas and Japan-spec Celicas is very minimal.

Here's a helpful HP to PS conversion site to check out: http://www.flash.net/~lorint/lorin/convert.htm?hpSAE=180&hp_kW=52.2&hpDIN=70.992

·
Registered
117 Posts
old post but did the SS-II Celica from 7th gen come with a helical lsd?? All Superstrut celica's from the 6th gen either came with viscious or helical lsd depending on the type.

woops sorry. Reading from another post and I found my answer. It was an option on SS-II Superstrut celica's. Atleast I didn't make a new thread haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.