NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced the shocks with kyb exel g but they're making noise when going over bumpy roads. I didn't reuse the silicon padding from the stock because it was torn to crap so it's just the spring straight up on the strut.
So my noob question is...
Would that stock silicon padding help reduce the noise when going over noise? Or am I just overreacting and it'll pass? Also... Do I need to add grease to the strut bellows?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
John

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm not to saavvy but I'm assuming the sway bar links is the tricky part which we did reuse.
I can retighten the top nut without having to remove the strut out right?
Sorry, first time doing this replacement

·
YELLOW CLOUD
232 Posts
So I replaced the shocks with kyb exel g but they're making noise when going over bumpy roads. I didn't reuse the silicon padding from the stock because it was torn to crap so it's just the spring straight up on the strut.
So my noob question is...
Would that stock silicon padding help reduce the noise when going over noise? Or am I just overreacting and it'll pass? Also... Do I need to add grease to the strut bellows?

Any help is appreciated
Thanks
John
what kind of noise r they making? the noise coming from both sides?

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Possibly bad sway bar links unless they were new when you reused them or one or both of the top mounts aren't tightened enough.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Loose sway end links sound like muffled rocks tumbling around. They need to be tightened while loaded. You could finagle your way to tighten them while the car is on the ground, but I find it easiest to drive the car on ramps and get under to tighten.

·
YELLOW CLOUD
232 Posts
yes make sure ur end link nuts aren't loose or anything

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm thinking they are the sway bar links as well. I'll retighten them after midterms.

Thanks for the fast replies,
John

·
Registered
946 Posts
The easiest way is to use an air impact gun b/c it'll spin the sway bar end link nut so fast that it'll tighten it down. If you are using a socket wrench, use a pair of needle nose vice grips and clamp them down on the rubber boot area (don't break the rubber boot though). Then tighten down the nut. A good way to check is to slide your arm under your car and grab the end link and move it back and forth and up and down. If it clunks it's the end link.

If the sound isn't the end links, it could be loose top hats, if you added lowering springs, you could be bottoming out, etc.
Right now I don't have the rubber insulators either and I don't have any clunking or anything.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I had time and the problem was what you said ufc. The sway bar links had play and I just tightened. Just took it for a ride and no clunking so far.
So how if it lasts after a few weeks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I just bought a celica 2002 zzt231.. with super struts. Left side is a bit knocky on bumps. I was told to have the bottom axle arms replaced. these are so so expensive. I also read about Macphersons. Has anyone swapped for these please. How is the ride and who sells them?
thanks for your time to read and answer me :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts