NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed my resonator and relly like the sound below around 5k. After that, there is a little raspy sound sometimes ... looks like maybe there is something rubbing. It makes sense since there is more vibration on the exhaust now. I can see it just by looking at my tips. Which I think is pretty normal with no resonator(vibration). Maybe, the heatshield near the resonator is rubbing? It may however be from my exhaust itself. Hopefully not. Have ya ever had a problem like that? If I can get rid of this sound, think I'll love it. When the vibration sound is not there, I like it! But it's there 90% of the time :( Anyways, I will check at the muffler shop but I just wanted to hear your experiences ... it may help!! Oh ya, I think the pipe used is like 2mm smaller than stock but I don't think this would change something.

Thanks! I need your help guys!

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Resonator is to lower sound, especially going through tunnels. It gets the sound resonating off walls in tunnels or bridges. Right now when you go under large bridge(s) or tunnels your car will be hella loud, becareful do not go full throttle under bridges or tunnels when cops around or you will definately be pulled over :)

Wait till you hear your car without resonator when you have a turbo + downpipe + straight pipe + high flow muffler.... It gives deep sound from the exhaust yet have the winning sound of the turbo and the pssst sound of the BOV... It is music to my ears :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think it's the heat shield, or gas tank shield. Mine does it too. I'm still trying to find the exact place it is rattling at. Sounds like it is right behind my back seat. I'll figure it out some way. It's hard to find because I can't rev the car and be under it too. lol.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your comments ... keep it going ... I like to hear what everyone think of this situation ...

Metal shields were my first idea ... but I went to the muffler shop and the heat shields (teh 2 ...) seem to be fine. No damage to it at first sight and no possibility for it to rub on the pipe. My opinion right now is that this kindda metal sound was absorbed by the resonator previously. Now, my blitz seems not to absorb it. I ran with open windows and found that it seems a less ``metal sound`` from the outside of the car. I may be wrong though. So, even if the metal sound seems to come from the outside, it sounds better from outside!! Curious! Anyways, the thing seems to sound hella nice from the outside. And, IT IS hella cool to hear it up to 5k inside or outside. Louder but not too much. A bit more vibration can be seen on the tips though. As for the sound high end, I never hear anything b4 with my blitz (inside the car). That's why I found it cool to hear it with opened windows (no resonator). That would be cool to remove the metal sound but I think I can live with it ... espacially if it's not that bad from outside ... and there is so many things I like about running w/o resonator. As for power, it's pretty hard to tell on the butt dyno!! Except the metal sound, I like better this setup than when I was running w/ axel back straight pipe ... now I can still hear good intake noises (which wasn't the case w/ str pip) while having an exhaust note ...

Do ya guys with kazuma found that "metal sound"? I can't here it on the clips I have. And if I'm not mistaken, kazuma equals no resonator usually. Am I right?

Sorry for the long post ... I always give too many details ... :(

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kazuma buzzes at high rpms on the clips I've seen ... but I like it! This is the kindda sound I want at high rpms. Well, I want it quietter ... Inside the car, this is not what I'm hearing with my current setup.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, do some of you guys running w/o resonator found something like that? I mean, do you hear some kindda metal soun high end w/o res? Tell me what your complete exhasut setup is ... header, exhaust (custom or bolt-on axel back ...), pipe diameter, etc. I need to find out if a simple exhaust swap would solve this or not. Again, it may be something rubbing on my pipes or inside my exhaust. I have no proof of that until now.

thanks!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was playing in the back of my trunk this past week end.

The sound I'm getting is def. not coming from the exhaust. It's a metallic buzz coming from just behind my rear seats(under the floor boards).
I have a GT with hotshot header, resonator removed, TSRM exhaust.

I get the buzz around 3800-4000 rpm then it stops after that. It can't be heard from the outside of the car only inside. If it were the exhaust itself it would be heard outside as well. I think there is a shield of some sort around the gastank area that buzzes at a certain frequency. I just need to figure out how to suppress the piece, as soon as I find it.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It makes sense I think .... but the heat shield is in fact under the car ... which is outside the car!! Take care if you remove it, there is gaz up there!! I would hope it is from the front heat shield which seems pretty unecesary w/o the resonator. In my case it may also be the heatshield for the header. I remember, I pull the pipe with the cat at the muffler shop and was surprised nothing was standing it. So I may have broke a bit the heat shield at the same time I pull dwn the front pipe comming from the header. That,s pretty hard to find out as I need to jack my car and pump the gaz like a mofo to check it out.

Any other comments/experiences? plz!! No one had a mettalic sound from the exhaust itself? That would be a nice news!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Guys don't you think that all the axle-back exhausts were designed to operate with the resonator on?

I have the TSRM and it is not quiet but some more decibels would be nice. I just want to make sure that my exhaust will still be ok with the resonator off.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Its the heat shield most likely. Mine cracked and made a wierd vibrating buzzing sound. New heat shield is a pain to install also but if yuor under warranty should be covered. Just take a look at the back fo the engine where the headers are.

Also open your hood and have somebody rev the car and find the source of the sound.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
killerm said:
I was playing in the back of my trunk this past week end.

The sound I'm getting is def. not coming from the exhaust. It's a metallic buzz coming from just behind my rear seats(under the floor boards).
I have a GT with hotshot header, resonator removed, TSRM exhaust.

I get the buzz around 3800-4000 rpm then it stops after that. It can't be heard from the outside of the car only inside. If it were the exhaust itself it would be heard outside as well. I think there is a shield of some sort around the gastank area that buzzes at a certain frequency. I just need to figure out how to suppress the piece, as soon as I find it.

I have the same thing, it sounds like it's behind the rear passengers seat, in the trunk, but I haven't found it yet.

Guys don't you think that all the axle-back exhausts were designed to operate with the resonator on?
I have a GT-S with the AMSS header and the cat and resonator removed with a TSRM exhaust and it's fine. I run with the baffle in because it's at a decent level and I like to be more quite, I just did it to get more HP at the track when I take the baffle out. It's a little louder when it's cold, but when it heats up it quiets down a lot, in fact if it was that way all the time I would probably run without the baffle. But the header and the removed cat make it louder.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.