NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if there's any mods i can do to the kazuma to make it quieter. i know there's those inserts but i don't know how much quieter it makes it. any other suggestion? is it possible for me to cut off the tip and slap a universal muffler on there? just a thought...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Ugly Pete said:
then what would be the point of even having the kazuma??? if you dont like how loud it is, get something else.

modifying it will just make you lose power. thats why its for off road use only.
A well designed, straight through, midpipe resonator will not restrict power at all. It will tone down the exhaust note as well. If youve looked at almost any aftermarket cat-back exhaust, you will see that it has a midpipe resonator in it. Please explain why you think a straight through midpipe resonator will decrease performance. If you have seen a nice resonator you would think twice.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
I've actually heard resonators can help performance on some setups when put near the header collector. The resonator cancels out some sound waves that would otherwise bouce back up into the header.
A more extreme design of the straight-through systems are the "N1" style mufflers. As you can see, there's little to no sound absorption going on here. Muffler is short and very small. Insulation material is kept at a minimum. This flows no better than a regular large muffler straight through however will sound much louder and high pitched. Couple this type of muffler with no resonator and you'll turn your Honda automobile into a Honda weed trimmer. "Hey my weed trimmer sounds tiiite yo!"
:chuckles:

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyWash1
http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=310

I know there is no chart, but the dyno was done by a performance shop using a performance resonator. I would try to find more, but I'm on 24K dial-up, so this is really slow.
cool. if someone can get this on their celica w/kazuma and make it quieter and still sound good and not take away from power, i might just stick my kazuma on my 6speed. its just sitting in my closet after being on the auto.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by Ugly Pete
cool. if someone can get this on their celica w/kazuma and make it quieter and still sound good and not take away from power, i might just stick my kazuma on my 6speed. its just sitting in my closet after being on the auto.
Even with a resonator, it still won't be anywhere near street legal. Probably less buzzy, but that's about it.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by Ugly Pete
i wonder if that has ever been done :p
Our stock resonator is pretty big (probably about 2' long). Just gotta find one that size or more with 2.5" piping, or two shorter 2.5" ones. Make sure the resonator doesn't have a louvered core, though. That will cause a lot of restriction, since the holes protrude into the exhaust gas stream.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
I have a kazuma as well as a 20in resonator ready to be hacked up and put on as soon as my header is done. Everything will being going on all at once.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
spaceboyboogie said:
any chance of slicing off the tip and welding a muffler to it?

Why would you do that? A resonator is basically a glasspack, and much cheaper. If you want to slice a Kazuma and put a muffler there, you might as well go custom exhaust all the way and save a few hundred $$$.

Jon

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by JohnnyWash1
Why would you do that? A resonator is basically a glasspack, and much cheaper. If you want to slice a Kazuma and put a muffler there, you might as well go custom exhaust all the way and save a few hundred $$$.
:werd:
You'll need a lot of custom piping to be able to toss a muffler into the mix.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts