NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, seems a lot of ppl like the Ksport coilovers and while lilmexican (another member here) seems sure that they are suitable even for a city with really bad roads and winter extremes (Winnipeg) I can't help but think I would be better off with something like the Eibach Pro kit, which only lowers you about 1.2" and only has spring rates that are a little bit stiffer than stock springs (2.7kg/3.6kg).

The Ksport coilovers have 9kg/6kg default spring rates, but they offer custom spring rates.

So here is my question:

Should I request really low spring rates for the Ksport coilovers, like 2.5/3.5 or 3/4, or should I just get the Eibach Pro kit plus some shocks like the Tokico HP? Which would you prefer?

Both routes will cost me about the same, cuz I can't do a spring install and will pay through my nose for that, but I can do coilover install.

I don't think I'll lower more than 1.5" if I get the Ksport. I measured how much of a drop it is and I like it. I looked at lots of pics on the net of Celicas with the Eibach Pro Kit and I think it is perfect, while the Tein S-Tech (1.4" drop) looks too low to me. I just don't like the look of slammed.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
if you can install coil over you can install new springs. a 60 dollar spring compressor is all you need to be on the safe side.

personally, if your not gonna slam your car don't get k-sports. a spring/strut combo for the drop you want is perfect. plus later down the road if you blow a strut you can replace it yourself vs. removing your coilover and sending it to the factory to wait 3-4 weeks for them to rebuild and ship them back.

but if you plan to go lower. or think you might want to go lower. a coilover kit would be a decent option.

me, im on sleeves, stock 73k miles struts. with limited travel. no regrets.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for the input. Ya, I suppose a $60 spring compressor is cheaper than $260-$350 install cost. I didn't think a spring compressor would be that cheap... oh well it's $75 at Canadian Tire.

Ya, the spring + shock combo should work well for me, I'm quite certain I won't want more than 1.2" drop. Any recommendations for a diff shock than the Tokico HP? Supposedly I could just get new OEM struts, but I wouldn't mind something better than OEM. Although if OEM is half the cost of the Tokico HP ($460 CDN locally) then maybe I will do just that.

Regardless, I do want new shocks, cuz mine have 105k kms of harsh roads on them, and I think my suspension isn't as good as it was 5 yrs ago and I'm pretty sure springs don't wear out so it must be the shocks.

·
Paint Guru
5,588 Posts
a 60 dollar spring compressor is all you need to be on the safe side
If you rent the spring compressor, you will get all that money back as long as you return it within the time frame they give you (48hrs last time I checked). So technically, it's free in the end ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh good point... I think CDN tire does offer the option to borrow any tool for free (as long as you return it in the allotted time). Good thinking lilmexican!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I've nevere rented a tool before. So I don't know how that works. :/ seems like a kick ass program though.

Koni yellows are the best bang from what I understand but you have to gut your stock strut. (More tools)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts