NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these two tires are very similar in price, and user feedback ratings (on tirerack.com) for traction etc, with the E100s scoring slightly higher scores.

my question to the celica owners out there: which one would YOU recommend? this will be in the 205/50-16 size on the stock rims.

the tire needs to grip ok (as well as stock or a tiny bit less), and needs to last a while too (when i drive to college, its like a 3 hour trip per way, and if my parents want me to go home a lot on weekends then its gonna go thru lots of mileage).

ALSO, there seems to be 2 versions of the kumho ecsta supra 712s, one in VR speed, and one in WR speed. besides the max speed, what are the other differences between the 2? grip? longevity? price is $3 higher for the WR version.

thanx in advanced

·
Registered
860 Posts
From checking the tirerack rating, I see that Cornering Stability, Steering Response, Ride Comfort, Noise Comfort for Yokohama is .4 or better than the kuhmo 712, which say a lot. But the down fall to Yokohama is it thread life is 280 and kumho has 340 (last longer).

I have yokohama es100 on my front wheel and I have to say it a good tire and grip well for it price. I just bought two bridgestone
potenza re950 tires for my rear and it has a similar rating but a little bit better, it last longer also. I hope this bridgestone is good as what it say in the rating.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I don't think you will be dissapointed with either. My friend has the Kumhos and he really likes them. I just ordered some rims with the Yoks, so I can tell you more about them when I get them! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
yoko ES100 all da way... great tire for a great price

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I hated my kumho712s with a passion. Feels like your riding on plastic. I had no traction at all.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
All the rims I had, I had Kuhmo 712's on them and I have been very happy with them. I am partial to Kuhmo since I use them so I really have no comment on Yoko's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had the Kuhmo's before I bought my Falken Azenis. The Kuhmo's were a good price and I thought it gripped well on the road, especially on wet roads, but there was a lot of road noise. I'm very happy with my Falken's. Its just as grippy with less road noise.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have Kumhos 712 and I love them,,they grip really well,,,best tire for the buck,,IMO

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I had the Kumho 712's and now have Sumitomo HTRZ-II tires all in 205/50-16 size.

I like the Kumho's a little better than the Sumitomo's from a sheer performance standpoint. I wanted the ES100's but they were backordered when I was buying.

Anyhow, the TireRack has done a head to head comparison between the Kumho 712, Yokohama ES100 and Sumitomo HTRZ-II, and the ES100 comes out on top.

I will confirm their comparison results between the Kumho and Sumitomo. It isn't that I don't like the Sumitomo, but I think I would have liked the others better.

Scott

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have the ES100s and grip is much better than stock, dry and wet. Haven't noticed any difference in riding comfort or sound between the stock yokos and the ES100s.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
What?? How can you even compare CumHo's to Yokos.

ES100 is stronger..better grip.. only downside to it is noise level. Yes you will get some noise from these, but overall in comparision to the supposed Jet 712s, there is still no competition.

I doesnt matter how many variation of 712's there are either. A CumHo is still a CumHo. Maybe its bias since I personally hate those tires.
But hmm ya... Yoko's all the way!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Manny_TXtreme said:
What?? How can you even compare CumHo's to Yokos.

ES100 is stronger..better grip.. only downside to it is noise level. Yes you will get some noise from these, but overall in comparision to the supposed Jet 712s, there is still no competition.

I doesnt matter how many variation of 712's there are either. A CumHo is still a CumHo. Maybe its bias since I personally hate those tires.
But hmm ya... Yoko's all the way!
Now there's a worthless post.

Anyhow Tire Rack did the comparison, read it here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/uhp_give_you_more.jsp

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Is it a worthless post? You tell me doofus.

I dont care what tire rack says. Experience is experience. Tire Rack is not the one who;s going to have to deal with the tire for the next 10-15k miles, the buyer will.

To buttress my point, it jus so happens a poor soul who switched to the Yoko's from Falken's left his testimony hours after I left the above post.

It might not be a testimony from switchin to Yoko's from Kumho's but in any case it aides my point that Yoko's are better.

You're obviously one of those who goes by what is written down and not the experience of those who have experienced the good/bad :fawk:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
In all that fuss of yours, you clearly indicate that you didn't read the Tire Rack test. They support your opinion 100%, however they do it with facts rather than some grade school commentary. My comment about your post was to the effect that it had very little content, just the usual "the yokohama is better because I bought it" mentality.

Scott

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
autxr said:
In all that fuss of yours, you clearly indicate that you didn't read the Tire Rack test. They support your opinion 100%, however they do it with facts rather than some grade school commentary. My comment about your post was to the effect that it had very little content, just the usual "the yokohama is better because I bought it" mentality.

Scott
What part of "experience is experience" did you not understand. Of course I read the tire rack review, but that doesnt change my views on it's the buyer's opinion that matters not what is down on paper.
Further more my Yokohama is better mentality comes from the "experience is experience" theory since I've had BOTH Kumho and Yoko tires. My experience left me detesting Kumho and prefering Yoko, when placed in comparison to them. So therefore..your whole post is pointless.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts