NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be doing the following to my car this Sunday.

What tools or hardware do i need to get beforehand?

I never did anything with the suspension on the celica but ive done many other things to it and im very mechanically inclined.

I found this link as well...

http://www.deepstaged.net/celicahr.htm

·
Banned
1,630 Posts
I just installed some sportlines last friday and followed the same install guide. Easy to do just go rent some spring compressors (the strut kind), some 12mm 14mm 19mm 21mm sockets, a wrench, jack and lifts and you should be set. Just follow the guide but switch out your stock struts with the KYB's.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
And prep all the nuts/bolts you will be removing with wd-40 10 mins before you start, make things easy on yourself.

Oh, and watch out for those end links, they center allen wrench holes love to get stripped. An air impact wrench is best for removing those.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
S|Lv3rBu||et said:
And prep all the nuts/bolts you will be removing with wd-40 10 mins before you start, make things easy on yourself.

Oh, and watch out for those end links, they center allen wrench holes love to get stripped. An air impact wrench is best for removing those.

Are you saying i should get new end links incase of them stripping?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by WHITECELICAGTS
Are you saying i should get new end links incase of them stripping?
No, just be careful that you get the exact size hex key, otherwise you could accidentally strip the endlink. THEN you'll need a new one. ;)
Originally posted by celica_republic
are they a good combo??
Depends on which Eibach spring he's using.

Eibach Pro Kit (1.2" F/ 1.1" R) + KYB AGX = Good
Eibach Sportline (1.8" F / 2.4" R) + KYB AGX = Bad

The Sportlines are too low for the KYBs, and will wear them out much faster than the Pro Kit.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
Depends on which Eibach spring he's using.

Eibach Pro Kit (1.2" F/ 1.1" R) + KYB AGX = Good
Eibach Sportline (1.8" F / 2.4" R) + KYB AGX = Bad

The Sportlines are too low for the KYBs, and will wear them out much faster than the Pro Kit.
Here you go again.... Still without any proof... I need to see independent lab results proving you claim!

Dont refer me to anyone... POST THE PROOF!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just took the warranty card out of my box

States this:

AGX WARRANTY:
The AGX warranty will be void if:

1. The vehicle is lowered more than 1.5" from stock height or "slammed."

2.Lowering is done by using extremely short springs alone or cutting springs as such modifications can cause bottoming of the shock absorber or bump stop.

3. The shocks or struts are modified (e.g. aftermarket adjustable spring seats and collars).

We recognize shocks damaged by excessive lowering by inspecting the piston rod. The warranty for shocks damaged by too much lowering will not be honored.

·
Registered
290 Posts
if your mechanically inclined you shouldn't have any problem, i put on my struts and swaybars (already had the springs on) by myself in my driveway. I think you will be pleased with the ride and handling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry for the newb question, but what's the advantage of KYB AGX shocks to stock shocks?
The Pro-Kit is supposed to work fine with stock shocks too right?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Apparently KYB did that already, and that's how they found out what to put the height limit at. Give 'em a call.
Originally posted by SatansLilCelica
independent lab results
So, you are telling me that if I call them, I can get the "independent lab results" requested?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
I don't think anyone would actually spend time to do independent lab testing on them unless they didn't have to pay for the struts and/or were getting paid to do it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I don't think anyone would actually spend time to do independent lab testing on them unless they didn't have to pay for the struts and/or were getting paid to do it.
So, my question will never get answered... Well, then I guess you can keep posting your facts due to what is stated on a manufactures warranty card... Not that many manufactures have various stipulations to cover any minute future occurance that may occur.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
BarbarianGT said:
Sorry for the newb question, but what's the advantage of KYB AGX shocks to stock shocks?
The Pro-Kit is supposed to work fine with stock shocks too right?

Stock shocks are tuned a bit more for ride comfort, so when upgrading to a higher spring rate and shorter spring, it is wise to get a dampener that will better control the spring--if for only preserving ride comfort. It will always give better performance and when correctly matched, will give better performance than more aggressive setups that are mis-matched. Basically, you want to buy a dampener (strut/shock) that can control the springs action. Yes, if your stock struts are still functioning correctly, they will be fine with the Prokit. But they will wear out faster.

Good combo, the Eibach and AGX. I went with the Tokicos and love it.

Jon

1 - 20 of 37 Posts