NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just read 1000x searched posts on spring setups and a lot of people said the KYB AGX shocks should not be used with springs that lower the car more than .75".

what is up with this? It seems this is the case with all brand struts. I thought these struts would be better since they are adjustable, but now I'm not sure what to go with.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can i get some more opinions on this?

KYB emailed me and said they don't recommend using their struts with over 1.25" drop, and I know tokico and TRD say the same kinda thing.

It seems like there would be a recommended solution on what struts to use with hotchkis springs, so i emailed hotchkis and they told me to get ones that are shorter than stock. That doesn't help me much though because i don't know which are shorter and which will work right.

Who has hotchkis springs and what shocks are you using, and how long have you had them and how's it holding up?

This seems like a simple question but with all the posts i've read i haven't found one definative answer.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
In the documentation that I received with my KYB AGX struts, it said that it's not recommended to exceed 1.5" drop. If the drop is to be more than that, it said to cut the bumpstops in half...

That was in the paperwork that came with them!

Usman

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm well then its close. i mean, hotchkis is 1 3/8 in front and 1 7/8 in back. we're talking about 3/8". so could i just cut the bumpstops in half?

but can you really expect the springs to be the advertised drop, or will they be lower? if so, by how much?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Cutting should be fine...just make sure that you keep the stiffer half from what you cut...it's a "progressive rate" bumpstop I think...

As for the drop, my springs advertised 2" drop (Tanabe Superdown Precedeo)...but I'm sure that it's about 2.5"...my shocks are handling them fine...

Usman

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
wus up, i have the agx shocks with skunk2 coilovers, at the moment its riding pretty good and handling is awesome. The front is dropped about 2 1/4 and in the back its all the way to the bottom which is 2.5+. The only problem with the AGX shocks is that you have to cut this metal piece so that the coilover can fit but if you were using springs, you don't have to. I think this metal piece is what the bumpstop sits on, not sure what it is. At the moment, I don't have the yellow piece (bumpstop i think)...its like a hard foam, on my car. I only had the shocks on for about a month so with long term effect, I wouldn't know. I'll let you guys know after a year.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Bumpstops only come into play when your car bottoms out.

From left to right: stock, TRD, and Hotchkis bumpstop

I've got Hotchkis springs with TRD struts. I've been riding on them for 10 months now and there's been no problems with the struts so far.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
What is up with all the conflicting info? I have researched this before. KYB recommends going no lower than 1.5" with the AGX shocks. Going lower is not recommended and will void your warranty on the shocks. That is why I went with H&R Sport springs instead of Hotchkis. The hotchkis springs are too low in the back.

Also, KYB has told me the AGX shocks are the same length as stock. I think most off the shelf shocks will be the same length as stock.

I also emailed Hotchkis about shocks. Hotchkis recommends using their cusotm built shocks if you are going to use their springs. I believe it is a coilover setup.

On our cars with AGX and H&R, you do not need to cut the bumpstops according to H&R. Bumpstops are part of your suspension and KYB told me to only cut them according to my spring manufacturer's recommendations (which is no cutting on H&R's).

Oh yeah... I went from setting 2 on the shocks to setting 3. I like the ride and handling even better. Even smoother ride, but still not harsh. Minimizes body roll much more than setting 2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts