NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Time to do a suspension job on the SHO. I am gonna srop it 2" with Intrax springs and I can get a good deal on KYB GR2 struts.

Will these be suitable for use on a lowered car? I cannot get a straight answer from anyone. I am guessing that some here have used KYB struts on a dropped car...

·
Registered
791 Posts
I believe the KYB AGX only recommend under a 1" drop for their struts/shocks. That's just what I remember from searching for their stuff. You could always call and ask them to be sure. 2" drops on a non-complete coilover setup will accelerate wear on most dampeners.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I am worried about. If that is the case I can either not cut the dead coil on the springs or I have to get Koni's or Tokico's, which are 4 times the price!!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Koni doesn't usually recommend a 2" drop without shortening the shaft. It's not the total drop at issue here, but how you achieve it. Lowering springs are the cheap way but causes several other problems. The right way is with adjustable perch coilovers.
The shocks should be valved to match the spring rates. Lowering springs are usually much stiffer to prevent bottoming and require a stiffer shock to control them. The springs may overpower a shock valved to control the stock spring rate (most off the shelf shocks). It will be MUCH cheaper in the long run to talk to the spring and shock manufacturers and take their advice, ESPECIALLY if they tell you not to do it!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts