NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27,517 Posts
If you are building a strictly show car then fine, that's what those guys do.

If your car is a daily driver, then I would suggest not to. They are not practical for everyday use. After a month you will be sick of lifting your door up and down everyday, plus your shocks will blow out more sooner, then later.

If your car is stock, hell no.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had a decha kit for right at a year. I would not do this on a daily driver again. BUT i have them and while they can be a hassle they are not THAT bad. First things...i did have to replace my shocks after a few months...but decha has two hinges one low rated at about 100lbs and another hi rated at about 300 lbs...celica door is smack dab in the middle. They provide the lo powered shock which works fine at first but add any additional weight and it starts to go bad. That weight was dynamat for me.

I got the high powered and it holds well...but now its a little harder to close.I am resolving this by adding more weight to the door ie fiberglass. Dont get me wrong with a stock door the low powered worked well....just add anymore weight and it dosnt hold that well.

I do have to open the door for most girls...my girlfriend never opens her door from the inside...outside is ok.

Its a great show mod, but dont expect to get mega points at shows either...its wide spread and since its a bolt on you wont get that many extra points.

Some people are gonna hate on it too....alot of people on here dont like it. In my opion the lines of the celica are complimented by it.

Bottom line..the kit does what its suppose to and i have had minimal problems from it...but this is just not a mod i would consider for a daily driver again. Its getting (dare i say gotten) played out. IF you want a mod thats gonna get mega points in shows this isnt it. If you want a mod thats gonna wow the car crows chances are most car people have seen it 100 times before. IF you want a mod thats gonna gets lots off attention (good and bad) well it accomplishes this.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
adamj5 said:
I have had a decha kit for right at a year. I would not do this on a daily driver again. BUT i have them and while they can be a hassle they are not THAT bad. First things...i did have to replace my shocks after a few months...but decha has two hinges one low rated at about 100lbs and another hi rated at about 300 lbs...celica door is smack dab in the middle. They provide the lo powered shock which works fine at first but add any additional weight and it starts to go bad. That weight was dynamat for me.

I got the high powered and it holds well...but now its a little harder to close.I am resolving this by adding more weight to the door ie fiberglass. Dont get me wrong with a stock door the low powered worked well....just add anymore weight and it dosnt hold that well.

I do have to open the door for most girls...my girlfriend never opens her door from the inside...outside is ok.

Its a great show mod, but dont expect to get mega points at shows either...its wide spread and since its a bolt on you wont get that many extra points.

Some people are gonna hate on it too....alot of people on here dont like it. In my opion the lines of the celica are complimented by it.

Bottom line..the kit does what its suppose to and i have had minimal problems from it...but this is just not a mod i would consider for a daily driver again. Its getting (dare i say gotten) played out. IF you want a mod thats gonna get mega points in shows this isnt it. If you want a mod thats gonna wow the car crows chances are most car people have seen it 100 times before. IF you want a mod thats gonna gets lots off attention (good and bad) well it accomplishes this.
nicely stated

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
adamj5 i agree wit diesul dud... that was very helpful... i think i will go ahead and get it.. probably the 300 ones.... another question... how hard is it to install the hinges.... i maen u know with all the wires adn all in the door.... is it somethin u can do in like a few hours or somethi that u need profeshinals to do... (sorry for spellings) and did the kit ave good instructions... o btw how much extra weight did u have to add to the doors for the 300??? thank u soo much for ur info and guidence on this matter,... it is greatly appreaceted

·
Registered
43 Posts
You can purchase the decha hinge at www.carexcess.com.

The install wasnt very hard...the decha hinge dosent require you to extend any wires so that save alot of headaches. Basically all you do is remove the headlights/front bumper/fenders, cut the inside of the fenders with tin snips and the kit bolts right on. The biggest headache is adjusting the doors...you have to fiddle and pry at the door to get it just right. It took me about 10 hours total to install the kit...but only becuase the install guide was missing a step...but once i called and figured out what was missing it was a snap. If i knew what i was missing probably wouldnt have taken more than a few hours.

The kit comes with the low powered shock ...just when you order talk to IAN at carexcess and tell him youll be adding weight and want the hi powered. I added about 1-2 lbs of dynamat and that caused some strain...if all your gonna do is replace the stock speakers im not sure i would get the high powered shocks. The low powered were still holding with the 1-2lbs of dynamat I just knew i would add more weight later...plus I wanted to try and have my girlfriend be able to open the door herself...which she still cant do with the high powered shocks. The high powered shocks are just gonna hold the door at the mid positions better...once its at top position the low powered shocks held just fine...and the higher powered shock dosent help move the door at its lowest position...the same amount of force is need to start the door opening for both low and hi powered shocks.

I would say if your adding any more than 5lbs to get the high powered shocks...since the high powered are more powerful they require more force to close them...if your only adding a few pounds its gonna be a bitch to close them. Ill probably have around 10 lbs of additional weight in my doors so i wont see a problem.

Gettin in and out of the car isnt hard ....just diffrent. If your tall or large it could be hard. I have had some people that wouldnt even try. My step dad is about 6'2 and he got in with relative ease.

Also what someone else said if you dont have other mods it wont look quite right...you really need to have atleast a bodykit for it to look right...do a search there are a few cars with just lambo doors everything else is stock and imho it looks weird.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah but u know... body kits are allmost like stck.. didnt see the point inmentioning them.,.. i mean i really dont think there are anyt stock celicas left in this world... probably all have body kits... ofcourse ill be getting a body kiit...
im just 3 inches or soo shorter then ur step dad so that should be ok then... thanks again for the website... ill check it out... i just hope they deliever to uk...
ur help has been really useful... and hopefully if my financing pulls through ill be able to get them.... thanks u once again.. its been really helpful.... and its really cleared up the doughts that i had about gettin them,... thanks again

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I didn't have to extend my wires...did any of you guys have to? on the harness?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Not sure about the c2gas kit but for the rest I am almost 100% sure to say is the quality and kind of shock they use for the kit.

·
Registered
27,517 Posts
baadshah786 said:
yeah but u know... body kits are allmost like stck.. didnt see the point inmentioning them.,.. i mean i really dont think there are anyt stock celicas left in this world... probably all have body kits... ofcourse ill be getting a body kiit...
:wtf: x 100

Umm, you dont see any stock celica's by you? And having a body kit is like being stock? Somehow the opposite game doesn't quite work in this situation.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Originally posted by evil eye
:wtf: x 100

Umm, you dont see any stock celica's by you? And having a body kit is like being stock? Somehow the opposite game doesn't quite work in this situation.

hehehe. got'em one :chuckles:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts