NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
tl;dr summary
I'm new. I bought a Celica. Seller lied and I was dumb. I love my car anyway.

The long version:

So I'm finally taking the plunge and becoming a member of Newcelica.org. I've been lurking about here reading in on this or that thread for the last year, and tonight I figured "hey, I have things to say about my Celi'." I got my Celica last July. She's a 2000 GT now with 107xxx miles (98xxx at the time). I was really excited to find her, and got a "great" deal on her at $3200. Since my Girlfriend (now my Wife) put up the money she got to name her, which seemed fair at the time. And so Dazzler become my new ride.

I was incredibly excited to finally own the car I had lusted over when it first came out with I was 16. Sure she needed new paint and and had some of the wear that you'd expect from a ten year old car, but, come on what could possible be wrong with a car that you found on Craigslist and 10 o'clock at night and went to go look at in the dark...and agreed to buy without going to a mechanic first... and had never driven a Celica before... and did no other research on the car before hand. Did I mention that I have never actually bought a car before? My only other car was a hand me down from my mom when I first started driving at 17 (late bloomer); a 1994 Nissan Sentra XE that I drove for 9 years.

So... some mistakes were made. The paint was worse that I thought, but I wanted to paint it anyway. It's a maroonish red. This wouldn't be soon bad if it had been painted consistently, it looks like they painted it, clear coated it then put a kit on her and painted it again, only this time no clear coat. So my car has this weird matte finish that looks terrible if I don't wax it. I soon found out how much the car has been effed with. She was in rough shape , my wife and I spent hours cleaning her headliner because she had been smoked in so much. The aftermarket single din cd stereo was just floating around behind the console (it turns out it was just being held in with electricians tape) and I found $10.54 in loose change stuffed all over the interior and behind the plastic work.

She was fitted with some sort of of r34 looking kit which I'm sure is a knockoff. It has either been bumped one to many times or it was mounted badly to begin with, but most likely both. I hate the rear bumper; it looks like a giant blank billboard. I've seriously considered renting the space to advertisers. Under the hood is a little depressing. I really should have at least looked at how a Celica engine normally looks. Because of her kit and cold air intake she is missing all of her covers. A whole mess of sensors and seemingly important plugs were just hanging loose. After I got her I realized just how much work I had bought myself.

NewCelica has been a huge help in figuring out the cluster f the previous owners had made for me. Soon after taking her home her CEL came on. The gist of the her thrown codes was that her cat and exhaust were going bad. Now if I had done ANY research I would have known that a lot of '00-'02 Celica's had some oil/engine issue that causes this early burn out, but of course I was stupid. Also she's developing the what seems to be typical 100000mile pedal clap that many Celica of her vintage seem to get. So there's some of the bad, however I have absolutely fallen head over heels for the car. There's nothing that time and money can't fix with these cars. we're lucky enough to have great looking cars with a huge amount of aftermarket support. This is also great because we each have a chance to make the car come alive with the character we instill into it. Thanks for the letting me rattle on my long Celica intro!

Thanks!

·
Lurking06 Celica07 Join08
5,328 Posts
Hi , welcome.

Now hazing:

Couldn't get past the first 6 lines, Please use paragraphs.

Also, your hazing has to come naturally, you can't force it. It has to be unexpected, kinda like R.A.P.E.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
That was a painful read, so I took the liberty to add some spacing to it. Welcome to the board, we want to see pics.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Dunno what pedalclap is, but I know I don't want it. :D

Welcome!

Did you sort out the exhaust issues/CELs?

·
Registered
779 Posts
A 100k mile GT named Dazzler. That part honestly had me laughing out loud. Sounds like that car was treated pretty rough. Be prepared for even more problems to pop up. And post some pics.

Welcome.

Droid- Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
welcome im from AZ too. sorry didnt read your post but if you need help with something just ask

·
Banned
336 Posts
welcome...its a shame that you have to go through this...I would have taken the car back and sat it on the person you bought it from....but now you have it and should go ahead and fix her up...learn a few things and dont make the same mistakes with the next one you buy....

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
1 - 20 of 113 Posts